This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

The What's For Dinner Tonight Chat

jess-gf

Juliebove Rising Star

Easter dinner will  be:  Baked beans and tossed salad.  Daughter will also have a sweet potato and some chicken

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• IrishHeart

• Adalaide

• love2travel

• GottaSki

Top Posters In This Topic

• IrishHeart

IrishHeart 1,338 posts

• Adalaide

Adalaide 1,030 posts

• love2travel

love2travel 954 posts

• GottaSki

GottaSki 889 posts

Posted Images

GottaSki Mentor

Happy Easter Everyone!!!

Mom is settled in a very nice skilled nursing facility in downtown La Jolla -- to start recovering from her incorrect dx and prescribed meds given over the past 9 months.  Long road ahead but I am extremely hopeful this little dynamo will be back walking her 3-4 miles a day in the coming months :)

I'm not posting anywhere else in the forum today as the kids and their friends have left our cupboards and fridge absolutely bare while I was hanging in the hospital with Mom...off to several grocery stores and to shuffle yummy treats in and out of the oven the rest of the day.

IrishHeart Veteran

You've had a LONG week, Lisa. Glad Mom is settled and you can breathe. You "did good", hon!xx

Happy Easter, Everyone!

Traveling home--a few days to go, but I thought I'd check in and tell you that dining out safely is absolutely possible while traveling.

Kudos to the folks who "invented" Find Me Gluten Free and I will be adding my thoughts on that website when I have a few minutes.

Except for one brief episode early on (and that was entirely my own fault for tasting something before double checking--duh!)

I have been able to enjoy all kinds of foods without a "hit". (and good news, a hit does not last as long as they used to--whoohoo!)

Once I know the chef and staff are savvy enough, I relax and enjoy.

I have had the following during the last week:

Porterhouse steak, asparagus with hollandaise, German fried potatoes, Gran Marnier  creme brulee (still like my CB unadorned)

Pork chops with an interesting mix of red beans/rice, jalapeno, black eyed peas, brussel sprouts, and strawberry cupcakes with white icing(and it was vegan, too)

A veggie burrito (my first in 2 years!) which had just about everything in it (avocado, sprouts, even sweet potato, black beans, a bit of cheese) and mixed fruit.

For Easter dinner, we are going to Matanzas Innlet here in St. Augustine (a shout out of thanks to Wendy, who writes  the "Palm Trees and Gluten Free" blog for emailing me via the Gluten Dude's site and for writing about this place.She's a doll!)

Dining right on the ocean for our last night (for now)  in this sunny paradise.

Heading for home tomorrow. Warm hugs to all and "see you" in a few days.xx

shadowicewolf Proficient

I loved going to St. Augustine FL when i lived in FL.

At any rate, some sort of pasta tonight.

love2travel Mentor

I've been out of town (and miss my precious Bingley to distraction!).  But in preparation I did make a wondrous batch of Bolognese sauce that is utterly fantastic.  There are many parts to it but it does include reduced white wine, aromatics, milk, blah blah blah.  That on (purchased! shame on me) buckwheat pasta and KFC copycat coleslaw on the side rounds it out.  Too bad I was not home to make a fabulous Easter dinner!  Oh, well.

Celiac Mindwarp Community Regular

Sorry you are not feeling so good :( Hope you get some rest.

Yesterday we had the most amazing pork roast. It is a long time since I had excellent crackling. Crunch and melt mmmm.

Today was chicken and veg stir fry with some fine vermiccelli (sp??) rice noodles. Nice to add a bit of variety to my rice based dishes.

Enjoyed an Easter egg hunt with the kids. There were a few little flurries of snow.

Clocks changed here, so off to bed, who knows what it will do to kids sleep patterns...

Adalaide Mentor

Travel safely!

Nothing wrong with a non-traditional Easter dinner, I'm sure that it was absolutely fabulous. I'm also sure that your new little man is missing you as much as you are missing him.

Today we tackled the task together of attacking our Easter George to get him into jars and canned for future use. We have 14 pint jars and I have a pot of bone broth stewing on the stove that I'll probably transfer to a crock pot later and tackle tomorrow or the next day.

We also have a batch of creme brulee ice creme chilling. I had a ton of leftover yolks from the angel food cake and woe is us, burdened now with this ice cream to make. :lol: I may have licked the spatula a little and all I have to say is zomg.

I saved out just enough ham to cover tonight's dinner. I'm sure eventually I'll be up to the task of heating that up, making a little gravy to go with it and mashing up a tater for myself. I'm in far too much pain to be hungry, so although I had planned on either some buffalo cauliflower or asparagus and hollandaise I am just going to call ham and taters and gravy my dinner.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

GottaSki Mentor

Good Morning Dinner Pals...."Bubble Girl" checking in.

So...for the past 16 months I have been wondering if I'd ever have to put the stinking epi-pens we carry everywhere since my first anaphylactic reaction to sunflower seeds back in November 2011 to use - hoped I never would, but better safe than sorry.

On Easter afternoon I was feeling great - happily cooking and baking up a storm for the family -- when out of no where my abdomen swelled up - huh - wtf I think to myself - had only had fresh vegies and freshly baked chicken thus far that day -- then my breathing started getting bad --- double huh -- hubby dismissed as just another strange reaction as I took my first benedryl -- within 10 mins my throat swelled up and it was official -- the second anaphylactic episode is FAR worse than the first - I gasped epi pen - hubby ran and got it and stabbed me - it was our first time so I wasn't even sure he did it right -- but there was a spot of blood on my white pants so he knew he got me -- throat opened up pretty quickly - so I added second benedryl -- five mins later throat started swelling again so off we went to emergency -- hubby drove very, very fast and stuck me a second time in route.  A couple very long hours later I'd had a total of three doses of epi, four benedryl - two pills plus a couple shots thru the IV - three breathing treatments, a couple bags of fluid and an EKG to make sure the epi wasn't giving me a heart attack - fun times ;)

I was not going to post, but thought it important to remind folks -- if they are having "allergic" type reactions - even small ones, but are testing negative to food allergies - talk to their doc about getting an epi-pen -- had we not done this back when I had my first bad allergic reaction to an "intolerance" -- well - let's just say I am very thankful we had them and everyone in the family knows where they are and how to use them.

The scariest part was not anything above -- the scariest part is we still have no idea what triggered it.  Allergist is going to run yet another set of blood and patch tests -- hopefully we'll find something this round.

When in doubt - carry epi-pens!

Lisa

So glad you are ok, sounds like it all got a bit hairy there. I hope you can track down your trigger.

We are an epipen carrying household too, my son has an anaphylactic reaction to almond. So far we haven't had to use it, but it goes everywhere, no exceptions.

I had a puffy lips and hives on face reaction to parmesan last week, maybe I need to join the club too.

When my son had his 1st reaction we were told any subsequent reactions were likely to be more severe. We have to be alert to use his asthma medication if he has an anaphylactic reaction.

I know you can feel wiped out after, so take it easy

Love Mw x

GottaSki Mentor

Thank you Mw :)

Since you have eliminated so many foods you may become more sensitive when you add them back -- this is what happened to me -- glad you already have epi pens should reactions worsen -- I hope they don't - but it is good to be prepared!

Off to take an exam that I'm not as prepared for as I'd like -- mind a bit fuzzy since Easter -- but is better today -- hoping for the best :)

mushroom Proficient

Jeepers, Lisa, scary stuff!  Glad you made it through that little episode, and good luck with the exam.  I will have to make sure hubs is more diligent about his epi.  Since he underwent desensitization to bees he is a bit blase about the whole thing.  And then there was the raw fish episode in SF :huh: .

Adalaide Mentor

Glad you're okay! Sounds super scary.

When I say my life is boring I also always say I like it that way. I will keep my boring life tyvm. I don't need that kind of excitement.

GottaSki Mentor

Completely agree...I like boring...bring it on - soon - please ;)

interesting aside....got a call from the ER nurse tonight to see how I was doing -- thinking maybe the ER doc instigated -- kinda cool -- I did have a lot of special attention the other night....warms this old heart that got dismissed by so many docs over the years.

IrishHeart Veteran

SKI!!

No scaring me while I'm traveling!!!  :o  Glad you're okay. xx

Our Easter dinner was great. Can't beat eating in a restaurant owned by a fellow celiac.  :D And her marble cheesecake--added another inch to my thighs. whoohoo!

Monday night in the hotel room in NC was sandwiches. No nearby restaurant offerings made me feel comfy at all.

But on Tuesday.PM...well, we had the best meal ever. We dined at a lovely place in Pennsylvania called "SYLVIA and MAGGIE's".

I was greeted at the door by a vivacious blonde who delivered loving licks and a wagging tail!!.

And the dog was very friendly, too!!! :lol:

Yes, I was fortunate to meet another c.com member (that makes 4) and she is a real doll. I felt as if we had known each other forever!! (of course, our 2 years of gabby emails probably helped with that)

It was YUM!!!!!

We had:

Appetizers and champagne

Standing rib roast and red wine and mushroom sauce

Baked spuds (and I had sour cream on mine--might as well Go for it, I thought)

Roasted asparagus

and Merlot

Dessert was homemade apple crisp and ice cream (but we gabbed so much we did not get to it--- so she sent some home with us, along with her banana nut muffins and homemade rolls with encore beef slices for our travel lunches) All fantastic!!!!

Wish we could have stayed longer. We had a blast!

The crisp is nearly gone. OINKsters are us.

Home now....sigh. It's too cold here dammit.....Can someone come unpack this stuff for me and put it all away??....and go through the junk  mail?? and make dinner tonight....and....waaaaa!! I wanna go back....

Ha ha ha (just as well you weren't trying to get into the wetsuit at the END of the vacation).

Welcome home buddy (I love coming home from hols now I live by the sea. Just sayin... :) )

IrishHeart Veteran

Ha ha ha (just as well you weren't trying to get into the wetsuit at the END of the vacation).

Welcome home buddy (I love coming home from hols now I live by the sea. Just sayin... :) )

message received  ;)

and yes, no way that wetsuit would have come off, much less gone on....now, that would have been UGLY. :lol: and have caused quite a scene, possibly requiring a giant shoe horn....and some oil of some nature....

GottaSki Mentor

Let's see...no - "vacaation was great, but glad to be home"....that seals the deal pretty well -- the move is the right thing for you ;)

Still a bit tired here from my shenanigans on Easter -- getting what I need done, but it is warming up and I have the opposite problem -- can't tolerate the heat and pollen --- goodness - this has been a rough month 'round here -- me thinks we need a distraction ---

oh....just so i get all my complaints out -- my home mountain is closing on Sunday and I only got two ski days up there while dealing with Mom this winter -- this will be remedied next season -- going to be an adaptive ski coach at the USARC center up there :D -- guess I shouldn't have typed that out as last time I was feeling strong I was all set for my training week when I had the flare from hell.

Edited again to add - we finally had our Easter Dinner last night -- Honey Baked Ham was fantastic and it is the first time I haven't had a reaction to ham of late -- just glazed it about 20 times with a mixture of honey, butter and touch of ground cloves -- have to say the ground clove tasted much better and was easier than doing that stick the whole clove in the criss-cross dealio.  My dog ate the easter cake was making during the whole emergency system trial on Sunday so we had quadruple choc brownies and vanilla ice cream -- didn't hear any complaints about the change up :)

Tonight - simple chicken breasts with asparagus and butternut squash fries.

Edited by GottaSki
Adalaide Mentor

Better late than never with Easter dinner. Sounds yummy!

We're having a late lunch for dinner since my husband has a weird work schedule today. He is leaving around 2:30 and working an evening. My daughter's First Robotics competition is this weekend too, started yesterday. So as much as possible I am glued to a live stream to watch her matches.

So food today, frozen burgers thrown on the indoor grill because I can cook them between her close together matches this afternoon without missing anything while still feeding my husband before work. Whatever he eats or doesn't eat with it, meh, not my problem today. I've got a kid playing with robots to watch.

kareng Grand Master

Better late than never with Easter dinner. Sounds yummy!

We're having a late lunch for dinner since my husband has a weird work schedule today. He is leaving around 2:30 and working an evening. My daughter's First Robotics competition is this weekend too, started yesterday. So as much as possible I am glued to a live stream to watch her matches.

So food today, frozen burgers thrown on the indoor grill because I can cook them between her close together matches this afternoon without missing anything while still feeding my husband before work. Whatever he eats or doesn't eat with it, meh, not my problem today. I've got a kid playing with robots to watch.

Hey Addie! We are at the Razorback Regional in Arkansas! In 2 nd place right now! Our mentor won the Woody Flowers award and Woody was here to present it!

Adalaide Mentor

My baby is on team 3942, the Northark Pioneers. If you see them and it doesn't seem stalkerish... tell them that Heidi says hi. That is what she calls me anywho. She knows I'm watching.

IrishHeart Veteran

Well, kudos----you guys all have kids with brains!! and they will take good care of you when you are O-L-D because they will be rich.....

sooooo.....can old Auntie Irish come live with any of you if necessary? :lol:

I do not want to cook tonight (i am exhausted and my back hurts...waaa)

and the hubs has resumed golf league on Fridays (darn fools out there in breezy 50 degree weather) so it looks like

PIZZA.

Adalaide Mentor

My oldest daughter's plan is to become a chemical engineer, save the world, get rich. I like her plan. I thought I was going to bring up this live stream and only watch my daughter's matches and that it would be dreadfully boring. I'm surprised by how much fun this whole robot thing actually is to watch. Not that I frankly care about any other robots but hers. :ph34r:

What is it with men and golf? The second that the snow is gone and there is anything resembling green out there, they're all out chasing their balls. It wouldn't matter if they practically needed to be bundled in winter coats, as long as there isn't snow on the grass.

Sounds like Florida suited you better. Maybe you need to make moving plans. I'll bet golfing is a year round sport down there anyway. :P

I managed a pot of mac & cheese with the burgers and now have a whole evening to myself. This feels really weird.

IrishHeart Veteran

Sounds like Florida suited you better. Maybe you need to make moving plans. I'll bet golfing is a year round sport down there anyway. :P

I managed a pot of mac & cheese with the burgers and now have a whole evening to myself. This feels really weird.

welllll, funny you should mention it...........moving plans ARE being made  ;)

and an occasional  "whole evening to yourself."..is a wonderful thing. Enjoy!

GottaSki Mentor

Grumpy Girl checking in -- I'll be having freshly made almond butter with huckleberry honey on top -- tomorrow is another day ;)

PS>>>way to go Robotics - both ladies and gents alike!!!

Adalaide Mentor

I guess my husband has decided he wants something resembling a "real" dinner tonight since getting home. I'll crack open a holiday jar of George, roast some taters and veggies and keep it easy. I have an early morning tomorrow. Veggies at 6 and first match at 8ish. I have to admit, I'm kinda jealous that you're there.