This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

The What's For Dinner Tonight Chat

jess-gf

IrishHeart Veteran

Any one make some good baked beans. The kind you put bacon or ham in? I think I can buy some from a local BBQ restaurant but I haven't checked the gluten-free status from them today.

you mean from scratch, slow cooked in a boston bean pot?

or dressed up canned ones?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• IrishHeart

• Adalaide

• love2travel

• GottaSki

Top Posters In This Topic

• IrishHeart

IrishHeart 1,338 posts

• Adalaide

Adalaide 1,030 posts

• love2travel

love2travel 954 posts

• GottaSki

GottaSki 889 posts

Posted Images

GottaSki Mentor

Could you post the lemon brownie recipe? Soon? I may be having a few 20 yr olds for dinner tonight or tomorrow night.

Need to look around for that German potato salad recipe . Maybe its on the bacon thread?

http://sweetpeaskitchen.com/2013/04/lemonies-lemon-brownies/

just switched flour out -- I use BRM all purpose -- and sometimes I skip the lemon zest dealio -- they are yummy no matter what you do to them ;)

kareng Grand Master

you mean from scratch, slow cooked in a boston bean pot?

or dressed up canned ones?

I'm in Kansas. We don't have Boston bean pots. I made some in my crockpot once that were good. Not sure what recipe I used.

GottaSki Mentor

Baked Beans -- anyone know if Bush's are gluten-free?  Haven't done these in years because I can't do legumes and I wouldn't be able to obstain...

Bush's Best Beans -- the huge can

Chopped Red Onion

Maple Syrup

Top with BACON

Bake for two hours --- I think it was 300 -- will look it up...can't believe I don't remember.

YUMMMY!!

GottaSki Mentor

also have from scratch recipe -- my Nana's recipe...but I think those are more like Boston Baked Beans -- with salt pork in them?

kareng Grand Master
GottaSki Mentor

Oh NOOOOO....going to be tough not to make them for the gang now that I know that -- perhaps it is time for a legume trial ;)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kareng Grand Master

Looks like the ones from the local restaurant are gluten-free. They sell them at some of the groceries, too. Or the one Irish posted would work. I don't know if anyone is coming over and probably won't until 3 or 4. Hub is smoking some pork but I don't have enough sides if I have extra people....ugh!

GottaSki Mentor

ok...we are having beans and now i have to wash my hands and hubs laptop keyboard as i dug thru my old gluten filled recipe box :)

I like to use a lasagna rectangle so there is more bacon -- and any cheap maple syrup is fine...

2 hours @ 350 degrees!!!

IrishHeart Veteran

I use Bush's... GFand tasty enough (i doctor them a little)

Sorry to hear Kansas does not have any Boston baked bean pots :o:D

I have my Gramma's and I just assumed everyone owned one.

yes-- that version requires a hunk of slab bacon or salt pork. yumsters! 

Queenie--

You could try this one:.

Never had anything from leite's culinaria turn out awful.  :) Love2travel is also a big fan of that site.

scroll down to the slow cooker variation and use the bacon!

http://leitesculinaria.com/75745/recipes-cider-baked-beans.html

GottaSki Mentor

I use Bush's... GFand tasty enough (i doctor them a little)

Sorry to hear Kansas does not have any Boston baked bean pots :o:D

I have my Gramma's and I just assumed everyone owned one 

You could try this one:.

Never had anything from leite's culinaria turn out awful.  :) Love2travel is also a big fan of that site.

scroll down to the slow cooker variation and use the bacon!

http://leitesculinaria.com/75745/recipes-cider-baked-beans.html

I've got hubs Great-Grandfather's bean pot -- he loved to cook and had three -- came in handy when three great-grands were fighting over whom was going to get the bean pot!!!

This recipe looks great...and will be used one Sunday or another -- Thanks!!!

IrishHeart Veteran

holy smokes...those lemon thingers look good, Ski.

My pal Elaine loved the lemon bars I made for her, but those are faster!

thanks, toots ;) .

IrishHeart Veteran

I've got hubs Great-Grandfather's bean pot -- he loved to cook and had three -- came in handy when three great-grands were fighting over whom was going to get the bean pot!!!

This recipe looks great...and will be used one Sunday or another -- Thanks!!!

please note--- those are not authentic Boston baked beans...but they got rave reviews. :)

GottaSki Mentor

holy smokes...those lemon thingers look good, Ski.

My pal Elaine loved the lemon bars I made for her, but those are faster!

thanks, toots ;) .

was glad they popped up on my FB page...sooo much easier than lemon squares...which Mom and I love -- nice to be able to bring them to her regularly :)

GottaSki Mentor

please note--- those are not authentic Boston baked beans...but they got rave reviews. :)

Ok...what is an authentic Boston Baked Bean Recipe?  Not sure my Nana's is boston either.

edited to add...still going to try this recipe one day soon tho -- they look great!

IrishHeart Veteran

Ok...what is an authentic Boston Baked Bean Recipe?  Not sure my Nana's is boston either.

edited to add...still going to try this recipe one day soon tho -- they look great!

Boston Baked Beans (seems they can also be made in a "dutch oven" --as her note card states)

1 lb. dry white beans

1/4 lb. salt pork 

1 medium onion, diced 

2 TBLS. sugar ( can use brown sugar, if preferred)

1/2 cup molasses

1 tsp, dry mustard

soak beans overnight/par boil about 5 minutes.

drain, but save the liquid

Place drained beans , salt pork,onion in pot.

Mix remaining ingredients w/some of the drained liquid and pour over the beans.

then, add enough of the liquid to cover the beans.

Cover the pot.

Bake @ 300 for 6 hours.  Check liquid level every hour and  add more if needed.

(depends on your oven and humidity and if it is snowing**). 

(***this is written on a card by my mother from her mother's verbal recollection of how she made them--this was my French-Canadian grandmother) :lol:

GottaSki Mentor

Boston Baked Beans (seems they can also be made in a "dutch oven" --as her note card states)

1 lb. dry white beans

1/4 lb. salt pork 

1 medium onion, diced 

2 TBLS. sugar ( can use brown sugar, if preferred)

1/2 cup molasses

1 tsp, dry mustard

soak beans overnight/par boil about 5 minutes.

drain, but save the liquid

Place drained beans , salt pork,onion in pot.

Mix remaining ingredients w/some of the drained liquid and pour over the beans.

then, add enough of the liquid to cover the beans.

Cover the pot.

Bake @ 300 for 6 hours.  Check liquid level every hour and  add more if needed.

(depends on your oven and humidity and if it is snowing**). 

(***this is written on a card by my mother from her mother's verbal recollection of how she made them--this was my French-Canadian grandmother) :lol:

Awesome...this is almost exactly like Nana's -- but she baked in a rectangle pan too -- to make them crispier -- my Father's family has a thing about making the top crispy -- Dad always tries to get Mexican restaurants to "crispy" his refried beans -- I fear his crisp may actually be spit on occasion :P

IrishHeart Veteran

Awesome...this is almost exactly like Nana's -- but she baked in a rectangle pan too -- to make them crispier -- my Father's family has a thing about making the top crispy -- Dad always tries to get Mexican restaurants to "crispy" his refried beans -- I fear his crisp may actually be spit on occasion :P

:lol:

I take the lid off the pot at the end too. I don't like them soupy, I like them "toothy". 

love2travel Mentor

Red Wine Vinegar and Red Wine Braised Chicken Thighs (with a host of wondrous flavours)

Smashed Roasted Garlic and Chive Potatoes

Minted Peas

Homemade Focaccia with Caramelized Onions and Rosemary

kareng Grand Master

ok...we are having beans and now i have to wash my hands and hubs laptop keyboard as i dug thru my old gluten filled recipe box :)

I like to use a lasagna rectangle so there is more bacon -- and any cheap maple syrup is fine...

2 hours @ 350 degrees!!!

Not to be dumb but....is the bacon cooked? How much maple syrup?

GottaSki Mentor

Not to be dumb but....is the bacon cooked? How much maple syrup?

I cut the bacon in half...leave it raw and completely cover the beans -- when it bakes it shrinks so I try not to have too many pieces touching.

Maple syrup is about 1/2 cup for the pretty large can of bush's original beans...you can't goof....I'm making a huge batch today with one half of the industrial sized can (7 pound can) and will probably add about a cup of syrup, one smaller sized red onion chopped and bacon to cover...hoping it will be one pound or I'll have to defrost another pound.

IrishHeart Veteran

Red Wine Vinegar and Red Wine Braised Chicken Thighs (with a host of wondrous flavours)

Smashed Roasted Garlic and Chive Potatoes

Minted Peas

Homemade Focaccia with Caramelized Onions and Rosemary

oh, how great to see you back and  to read a line like  "host of wondrous flavours" once more !!  :)

GottaSki Mentor

oh, how great to see you back and  to read a line like  "host of wondrous flavours" once more !!  :)

Ditto!!!

Welcome Back L2T -- the wonderful aromas that drift thru this joint when you are here have been missed -- oh...missed 'you' too ;)

LFitts Apprentice

Had a Chebe pizza crust in our gluten-free Tasterie box, so made pizzas with that. The crust is chewy and delicious, but doesn't brown well because it's mostly (or completely?) tapioca flour. Next time I'll get the pizza stone scorching hot first, then put the crust on there. But it was very good anyway. Had Pamela's oatmeal cookies (also from the box) and they're fully of cinnamony-brown sugar goodness!

kareng Grand Master

Had a Chebe pizza crust in our gluten-free Tasterie box, so made pizzas with that. The crust is chewy and delicious, but doesn't brown well because it's mostly (or completely?) tapioca flour. Next time I'll get the pizza stone scorching hot first, then put the crust on there. But it was very good anyway. Had Pamela's oatmeal cookies (also from the box) and they're fully of cinnamony-brown sugar goodness!

I cook them without toppings until almost done and that helps. I also make then with the cheese. I figure there is enough cheese on top of the pizza!