This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

The What's For Dinner Tonight Chat

jess-gf

Adalaide Mentor

OOH babycakes!! can't tell you how thrilled I am for your new venture. whoohoo!! You can be all "SHOW me the money!! " PS Did you get what I sent yet? (or do we have to hunt down the mailman?) ...chuckling...

Not yet and today's mail came already. I may have to wait for the mailman (okay, so we have a girl, but whatever) with a baseball bat on Monday morning. Hahaha!

I missed this somehow.  What is the business?

I guess I was waiting until I knew things would work out. But then I was like screw this, I'll MAKE THEM WORK! So one afternoon I needed a heating pad and I hate (super hate) the electric one I have and wished for one of those microwavable buckwheat ones but they're so damn expensive. Then I was like right, I can sew so why don't I just make one! Then I realized that with how much they cost at stores, I could make a fortune selling the suckers! I'm also going to do a whole thing of kitchen stuff. Matching sets of hot pads, dish towels that go over an oven handle and tie with a ribbon, KitchenAid covers, and aprons to match for women and girls. The pattern I've picked for that is so adorable it makes me almost weep with the perfection of it. The mixer covers will probably come last, I'm starting with just the heating pads and hot pad/towel sets. I'll add the aprons next then the covers. In the next few weeks I'll do an interview and application process with the local farmers market people to have a stand there which will give me the money to open a booth at a local craft shop. That will give me the money to open a kiosk at the mall by next summer and hopefully stay open for Christmas. (Although at $11,000 a month for Nov/Dec I'm not sure if that'll work out. YIKES!)

Anyway, that's what I'm up to. I've been so frustrated not working. I grew up a farm girl and it makes me crazy not being able to have a "real" job. But this for now allows me to work, or not, as I want and need to and make money and is perfect for me. Until I open at the mall my schedule is 95% flexible, not counting those cursed early Saturday mornings. <_<:lol:

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• IrishHeart

• Adalaide

• love2travel

• GottaSki

Top Posters In This Topic

• IrishHeart

IrishHeart 1,338 posts

• Adalaide

Adalaide 1,030 posts

• love2travel

love2travel 954 posts

• GottaSki

GottaSki 889 posts

Posted Images

LauraTX Rising Star

Today I made tacos for lunch and for dinner I am going to test out my new Cuisinart Griddler countertop grill, recommended by Adalaide :)  Went to BB&B yesterday and with their 20% coupon it was the same price as the big A online store.  Going to make boneless pork chops for its inaugural run, with sweet potatoes and green beans on the side.

I also bought coconut oil for the first time today.  Mainly to use on my face and see if it helps my eczema, then I plan on experimenting with it in cooking.  

notme Experienced

I also bought coconut oil for the first time today.  Mainly to use on my face and see if it helps my eczema, then I plan on experimenting with it in cooking.  

it still freaks me out a little that you eat it and also put it on your skin.  but handy if you need a snack ?  <_<   just don't use the stuff you strained back into the jar (because you will smell like shrimp) <no.  i didn't do that...............  ^_^

tonight is macaroni & cheese  :)  perfect for the end of a busy weekend.

Adalaide Mentor

Before I got married (6 years ago!) I started a project making Christmas stockings for us. But when we got married that meant I wasn't living with my roommate anymore and no sewing machine. I never finished. Now with a new sewing machine I finally finished today so we'll have matching his & hers stockings for this Christmas. :D

We're going to have breakfast for dinner tonight. Pancakes and omelets and I think he'll probably bring home some sort of sausage for me to cook for him.

cahill Collaborator

Tonight was Lasagna and  some  cucumber salad

Adalaide Mentor

Tonight was Lasagna and  some  cucumber salad

My husband is anti-casserole or any other such thing that he deems similar. I haven't had lasagna since before I got married. I should just make one sometime and tell him to get his own dinner. It sounds SO GOOD right now.

kareng Grand Master

Burgers, foil packet potatoes on the grill - olive oil and. Italian seasoning, cheesy corn

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

moosemalibu Collaborator

Went to Point Reyes, CA this past weekend for Moosie-Man's birthday. We took our leftover taco stuff from Friday and 2 slices of cake. Divine! We had the dog with us and there are only 3 dog-friendly beaches. We had fun running and walking along one and just sitting and watching the waves.

Tonight is either brown rice pasta/sausage or Rufus Teague rubbed chicken, broccoli and brown rice. Not sure yet.

kareng Grand Master

Went to Point Reyes, CA this past weekend for Moosie-Man's birthday. We took our leftover taco stuff from Friday and 2 slices of cake. Divine! We had the dog with us and there are only 3 dog-friendly beaches. We had fun running and walking along one and just sitting and watching the waves.

Tonight is either brown rice pasta/sausage or Rufus Teague rubbed chicken, broccoli and brown rice. Not sure yet.

Did you make the Crockpot Buffalo Chicken Lasagna yet?  I am making it tonight.  I will say that the original recipe says to cook for 6 hours on low but 4 is usually plenty.

moosemalibu Collaborator

Did you make the Crockpot Buffalo Chicken Lasagna yet?  I am making it tonight.  I will say that the original recipe says to cook for 6 hours on low but 4 is usually plenty.

I did try it.. and I think my recipe is a little different than what you are describing.. mine said low for 7 hours... and it was WAY too long! So either the recipe is different or it got mis-printed in the cook book I have? I thought the flavors would work well but it tasted over cooked.

kareng Grand Master

I did try it.. and I think my recipe is a little different than what you are describing.. mine said low for 7 hours... and it was WAY too long! So either the recipe is different or it got mis-printed in the cook book I have? I thought the flavors would work well but it tasted over cooked.

Probably the same.  Anything with lasagna noodles only needs about 4 hours.  Maybe mine says 7 - not sure. I have  a good lasagna one, too.  I use half burger and half Ital turkey sausage.  My food always cooks faster than the 365 Cookbook says.

This is the one I use, except cook for 4 hours:

http://crockpot365.blogspot.com/2008/10/crockpot-buffalo-chicken-lasagna-recipe.html

This is the lasagna I used with Tinyada noodles.  I cooked the Ital sausage in a pan and added the marinara.  Cooked the hamburger in the microwave and drained.  Then added it to the sausage & marinar.   Didn't worry about 20 minutes simmering.  Used 3 layers of noodles.  Left-overs are fab!

http://crockingirls.com/recipes/crockin-lasagna/

w8in4dave Community Regular

This is my Fish soup I made the other day :) It was soooooooo yummy! And I just kinda winged it :) Hubbs loved it! I loved it! 

2014-03-09193511_zps66730253.webp

kareng Grand Master

The Buffalo Chicken lasagna came out great! 4 hours is the right amount! I cut the peppers - used 1 red & 2 green not small enough. They were still crunchy but the guys prefer them that way.

GottaSki Mentor

The Buffalo Chicken lasagna came out great! 4 hours is the right amount! I cut the peppers - used 1 red & 2 green not small enough. They were still crunchy but the guys prefer them that way.

I love this idea...checked out the recipes you posted...and am thinking I may even try the garlic cream sauce I use for enchiladas to try a crock pot version with pasta...looking for anything that will help me cook for the men without getting overheated standing over a stove or keeping my antique oven burning for too long...don't get me wrong...I love my 1940's classic and it is great in cold weather to add heat to our home...but not great for me when it is 80 outside.

Oh, hey...guess there is exciting to me news that I should share.  For nearly a week I have been on a combo of meds that has improved my MCAS symptoms...not only have I had more vertical hours again...but am not bloating from unexplained causes every flipping time I eat (even the safe foods)...ok...if you understood my rambling...now forget it as I am sure if I actually verbalize it, I shall have a setback ;)

I am typing this after enjoying dinner with my men AND am still up...not typing from bed.

Life is good :)

kareng Grand Master

I love this idea...checked out the recipes you posted...and am thinking I may even try the garlic cream sauce I use for enchiladas to try a crock pot version with pasta...looking for anything that will help me cook for the men without getting overheated standing over a stove or keeping my antique oven burning for too long...don't get me wrong...I love my 1940's classic and it is great in cold weather to add heat to our home...but not great for me when it is 80 outside.

Oh, hey...guess there is exciting to me news that I should share.  For nearly a week I have been on a combo of meds that has improved my MCAS symptoms...not only have I had more vertical hours again...but am not bloating from unexplained causes every flipping time I eat (even the safe foods)...ok...if you understood my rambling...now forget it as I am sure if I actually verbalize it, I shall have a setback ;)

I am typing this after enjoying dinner with my men AND am still up...not typing from bed.

Life is good :)

I'm sure you can make enchiladas with corn tortillas in the crockpot.

Glad you are feeling better

GottaSki Mentor

I'm sure you can make enchiladas with corn tortillas in the crockpot.

Glad you are feeling better

Actually thinking more of pasta like the mini lasagne noodles/wide egg noodles from Sam Mills or perhaps a regular gluten-free lasagna noodle...just love the idea of learning something  new for the crock :)

moosemalibu Collaborator

Probably the same.  Anything with lasagna noodles only needs about 4 hours.  Maybe mine says 7 - not sure. I have  a good lasagna one, too.  I use half burger and half Ital turkey sausage.  My food always cooks faster than the 365 Cookbook says.

This is the one I use, except cook for 4 hours:

http://crockpot365.blogspot.com/2008/10/crockpot-buffalo-chicken-lasagna-recipe.html

This is the lasagna I used with Tinyada noodles.  I cooked the Ital sausage in a pan and added the marinara.  Cooked the hamburger in the microwave and drained.  Then added it to the sausage & marinar.   Didn't worry about 20 minutes simmering.  Used 3 layers of noodles.  Left-overs are fab!

http://crockingirls.com/recipes/crockin-lasagna/

Mine was different...no lasagna noodles. Instead were potatoes. I like your recipe though.. it looks really good. I'll have to look in my book to see the name of what my recipe was called so I can find the corresponding link.

notme Experienced

w8n4 - your soup looks delicious :)  i 'wing' my soups, too. 

glad you are feeling better, ski.isa!!  

i am still eating leftover mac & cheese.  it's my all time favorite comfort food  :)  it's starting to get warmer here, so i am dreaming of gardening.............

Adalaide Mentor

It was in the 60's here yesterday. I bit chilly today, sweater weather in the 30's. Warm again tomorrow, can't keep spring away!

I need mac & cheese. Not sure what else I'll make for dinner but I just need some. Maybe a meatloaf so it's easy to eat. I've got a sore face from getting my crown yesterday, but at least other than my 2 checkups for the year I'm done with the dentist now for the year. Actually, other than an implant, I'm DONE! Yay!!!

kareng Grand Master

Mine was different...no lasagna noodles. Instead were potatoes. I like your recipe though.. it looks really good. I'll have to look in my book to see the name of what my recipe was called so I can find the corresponding link.

I find that potatoes, especially sliced ones, tend to stick and burn on the bottom next to the "walls".  And, like I said, her cooking times are usually a couple hours longer than needed.  Doesn't matter for some things like chili.

speaking of chili, that is what we are having for dinner.  We are getting ready for our first Robotics competition Thur Fri & Sat.  Then Spring break trip to Colorado starting Sun morning very early.  Good to have some left-overs that are easy to eat in the evenings.

LauraTX Rising Star

Last night I made this recipe http://userealbutter.com/2011/02/07/quinoa-mushrooms-kale-recipe/ just by itself, it is mushrooms and kale sauteed with quinoa.  I used about a third of the fat she did though.

Tonight is gonna be baked chicken leg quarters with... something... maybe sweet potatoes.

Adalaide Mentor

I made a meatloaf last night so I'll have leftovers. I'm not sure yet what I'll feed my husband but I'm sure I'll think of something.

I'm pretty happy today. I saw my surgeon and as long as the schedule permits I'll be in on the 27th to have my stupid, useless uterus removed. Woohoo! Two weeks and I can kiss this womanly nonsense goodbye. All of the good, none of the bad. :DB) He was all are you super duper, really sure you won't regret this, won't regret not having more kids or not having a boy? WTF WOULD I DO WITH A KID?!?! My "baby" is graduating in May and will be 18 in June. Done. So done. I'm way too old to start that crap over again.

Adalaide Mentor

Rotisserie pork loin and some veggies tonight.

We saw my husband's new endo today. I fell in love in the most magical way. The doc was all blah blah blah D or bloating or etc etc etc? And my husband was all sometimes? And the doc was all do you have celiac? Lets test you for that. :wub: I could have kissed the man right then and there. I told him I love him and made him blush right up through his mostly bald head. :lol:

LauraTX Rising Star

Yesterday I played it simple and just made hot dogs for dinner.  Sometimes all you want is junk!  Tonight I am making some little steaks I got, with sweet potatoes and carrots.  Will be a monochromatic dinner but that is what is left at the end of the week :)

GottaSki Mentor

Zippity Do Da...Zippity eh!!!

So the recent med changes have kept me mostly vertical for well over a week and I haven't had any food reactions (even with safe foods) only minor heat related hiccups....so today I made a sauce the same color as Velveeta with an entire butternut squash along with some cream cheese (first cheese since the failed "i want a grilled cheese" adventure).

Now I'll never know if it tastes as good as it does to me for anyone else because of my limited options....but it tasted fantastic...ended up eating a huge amount of blanched broccoli while generously dipping with my butternut cream cheese...yum. yum.  Did I say yum?  and i still have three servings in the freeze - happy camper here.

So I am a bit too full to eat dinner with the men...glass of Zin for me!

Cheers Dinner Peeps  :wub: