This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

The What's For Dinner Tonight Chat

jess-gf

Adalaide Mentor

It's just about 2, and I've finally gotten a shower, some pain killers in me, and am ready to face the day. I procrastinate a bit. Stoopid CRPS is really complicating this recovery process, keeping the pain lingering longer than it should. But I'm still improving day by day so I can't complain too much. I'll be out to the yard in a bit to water my mint. We'll plant starters this week for the rest of our garden and hit the garden store for more mint. I want to get about 7 or 8 pots of it so I can dry it and use it for my heating pads. Much cheaper than buying the stuff.

Tonight's dinner will be a rotisserie pork loin. I think I'll make some sort of corn with it and I don't know what else. Maybe carrots? Mac & cheese? I have this packet stuff that's super easy and practically cheating that my husband loves. I don't know, I'll think of something. I want a bread type object but I'm not sure I'll be that ambitious today. Anywho... time to get the towel off my head and head outside for some sun. Perfect spring weather here again after a crappy week. B)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• IrishHeart

• Adalaide

• love2travel

• GottaSki

Top Posters In This Topic

• IrishHeart

IrishHeart 1,338 posts

• Adalaide

Adalaide 1,030 posts

• love2travel

love2travel 954 posts

• GottaSki

GottaSki 889 posts

Posted Images

notme Experienced

tonight, i'm just having 'skip' (honestly, I have been pigging out all day) so, it's 'skip' and beer, lolz, watch out :lol:

last night, though, I made cod topped with balsamic bruschetta, buttered crumbs (ok, olive oiled, but buttered sounds tastier) and parmesan cheese.  tiny, proud (translated:  pricey little suckers!) fingerling potatoes, Brussels sprouts w/bacon & shallots.  I always make a ton of it and I always have almost no leftovers  :)

so nice here this weekend, too!  got a chance to get out and see what a wreck my "outside" is (oh, addy, I am plotting the garden plot!  W00T!  you and mint.  who'da thunk.... :P )

Adalaide Mentor

I'd totally just plant my mint right in the ground in the plot where the fruit trees are if it wouldn't cause my MIL to have a total fit. I'm pretty sure though that she'd have heart failure or something. :lol:

I ended up finding the ambition for a bread-type object. There is a recipe in my Better Homes & Gardens cookbook for something called Nun's Puffs. It's something I used to make all the time. It's quick, easy and delicious and I've missed them. I finally decided that I should just see what happens if I try them with my AP flour. They came out perfect! :wub: I'm so in love with my flour, I couldn't be happier. (That is totally not the narcotics talking. I swear to dog.)

kareng Grand Master

I ended up finding the ambition for a bread-type object. There is a recipe in my Better Homes & Gardens cookbook for something called Nun's Puffs. It's something I used to make all the time. It's quick, easy and delicious and I've missed them. I finally decided that I should just see what happens if I try them with my AP flour. They came out perfect! :wub: I'm so in love with my flour, I couldn't be happier. (That is totally not the narcotics talking. I swear to dog.)

Share!  Share!  What flour did you use!  All the details!

We had crockpot lasagna for dinner last night.  I might have put too much spinach in it as M started picking some of it out.  He is normally so good about spinach inserted into recipes.   :ph34r:

I look at all these things people make but they just don't fit into my life.  I have a kid and a hub that I can never count on for a specific dinner time.  Imagine fish and lightly sauteed veg having to sit for 30 minutes because lacrosse practice actually finished on time  but another kid wants M to help him with something on his car.   Or a hub that stays late at Robotics to help clean up.

GottaSki Mentor

I second Karen...details please Addie!

Our house has a revolving door...dinner is somewhere between 630 and 730..whether it's me cooking (630) or hubs when I'm down or out (730)...whomever is home gets it fresh...all else have a plate waiting for them to re-heat.

kareng Grand Master

I like stuff that makes encores.  That way, they can re-heat or re-whatever on their own.  When M says "What's for lunch?"  I can give him some answers.  He can choose to go get Panda Express, but its not my fault..... we had chili and lasagna he could have.

IrishHeart Veteran

I like stuff that makes encores.  That way, they can re-heat or re-whatever on their own.  When M says "What's for lunch?"  I can give him some answers.  He can choose to go get Panda Express, but its not my fault..... we had chili and lasagna he could have.

Me too!!. Encores are the best. i am not even feeding hungry teens :) 

My mom used to say: Dinner is when we put it on the table. (both my parents worked and often, my Dad started dinner.)

She also said: This is not a diner, No menu of choices. We all eat the same thing. You're on your own if you are  late.

(man , my Mom was mean. lol) 

This was before microwaves--you know when Barney Rubble lived next door.

last night, I made black bean and turkey chili 

tonight is escarole, sausage and white bean soup

I am into beans lately. Because I can eat them now and not clear a room!! whoohoo!. 

what? i'm just sayin....

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Adalaide Mentor

I keep finding more and more gluten-free things at Costco. Not just naturally, but specialty items. I was still totally shocked when I walked down the baking aisle and found flour! It's Premium Gold Flax flour. I get it way  http://www.flaxpremiumgold.com/Flax-and-Whole-Grain-All-Purpose-Flour_c12.htm I'm getting it a lot cheaper than what the website lists. Instead of $11 for 2 pounds, I'm paying $12 for 5. Yeah, holy crap on that price for a gluten-free AP flour! And it's awesome! This was my second recipe that turned out great, I'm thinking about trying something else tomorrow. There is also a recipe on their website for red velvet cupcakes that are just to die for.

(man , my Mom was mean. lol)

My mom was too! She didn't even have to be, we totally had a microwave. Half the time, I was even in charge of cooking dinner and I still didn't get to make what I wanted. It was what she decided we were having. Mom's are totally evil. :lol:

GottaSki Mentor

I keep finding more and more gluten-free things at Costco. Not just naturally, but specialty items. I was still totally shocked when I walked down the baking aisle and found flour! It's Premium Gold Flax flour. I get it way  http://www.flaxpremiumgold.com/Flax-and-Whole-Grain-All-Purpose-Flour_c12.htm I'm getting it a lot cheaper than what the website lists. Instead of $11 for 2 pounds, I'm paying $12 for 5. Yeah, holy crap on that price for a gluten-free AP flour! And it's awesome! This was my second recipe that turned out great, I'm thinking about trying something else tomorrow. There is also a recipe on their website for red velvet cupcakes that are just to die for.

My mom was too! She didn't even have to be, we totally had a microwave. Half the time, I was even in charge of cooking dinner and I still didn't get to make what I wanted. It was what she decided we were having. Mom's are totally evil. :lol:

Thanks Addie!  Just added it to my monthly amazon  .   com order -- 8.03 with subscribe and save discount....will check other sources if we like.  Haven't been to PriceClub for a long time -- had to stop with the last round of belt tightening.  Maybe I'll have someone check if ours carries it -- and make them pick it up for me ;)

IrishHeart Veteran

, I'm paying $12 for 5. Yeah, holy crap on that price for a gluten-free AP flour! And it's awesome

wth? are you kidding me? it's 25.99 for 5 lbs. on ama zon. No Costcos here, but mom is coming next week and she goes to one and she may have to slip some in her suitcase. lol Wonder if Bjs has it? 

Is this the recipe for nun's puffs?

http://www.passthepocky.com/2009/08/nuns-puffs.html

GottaSki Mentor

Day Two of Santa Ana winds has kicked my ass -- everyone else is walking around saying how wonderful and beautiful the weather is -- which it is -- except for this freak that has abdominal bloating up like a puffer fish just because the wind is blowing from the East!!!

Guess today is the day I'll start floating the late afternoons away under a personal umbrella -- thank goodness my salt water chlorinator finally stopped being fussy -- was chirping either too high or too low salt for no reason after the spring cleaning -- it's happy now -- thank God -- didn't want to have to replace and my next door neighbor was being very patient -- their house is situated on the back of the lot with their LR about 10' from my pool equipment - doh! :ph34r:

Dinner tonight will be something cold.

LauraTX Rising Star

Addy, I grew up with Nun's Puffs being called Nun's Farts.  Catholic family thing I guess, LOL

IrishHeart Veteran

Addy, I grew up with Nun's Puffs being called Nun's Farts.  Catholic family thing I guess, LOL

I was raised Catholic but I never even heard of them and would have laughed out loud at "nun's farts"  and be sent to confession and given nine Hail Mary's and nine Our Father's...no doubt.

Adalaide Mentor

Yup, that's the recipe. When it says grease the muffin pan, it means with something serious. No goofing off with light oils. Coconut oil may work, never tried it. (I'm a newb with it myself.) Butter works really well. Olive oil will leave them sticking. You may have to run a knife around them to get them out.

Yeah, the price on the flour is silly online. It's also silly cheap at Costco compared to other AP flours I see in the health food stores at something like $6 or whatever for a pound. Um... they can all bite me at that price. Some are $15 for 2 or 2.5 pound bags. I've always just stared in horror and walked away.

I'm glad your pool helps you feel better! I hope the wind straightens its act up soon for you. Mother Nature is sure off her meds this year acting totally psychotic. We even got spring in Utah, which is the first time since I moved hear nearly a decade ago... freaky!

Omg Laura you're funny! I only discovered this recipe when I moved into an apartment about 7 or so years ago, right before I met my husband. I was poor but wanted to bake something new and got hooked. I'll never get that out of my head now when I make them. :lol:

Adalaide Mentor

I only just read the description on that blog about them. I couldn't at first because my internet was acting funny and wouldn't load the page and I checked it on my phone. Anywho, when she says they're all light and fluffy, they really are! And they were last night too. Full of air holes and lightness and awesomeness. I don't know why I'm shocked every time I make something new and it turns out not only decent, but good. But I head into every new recipe without expectations. This keeps me from being disappointed if it is a total failure and sucks beyond all possible reason. I guess I was just more shocked than usual because it was a light, fluffy, airy bread-like object.

I should have shut up while I had the chance. Now I want to go make more. It really isn't surprising that my jeans from last year still fit like a glove instead of falling off me. <_< I guess I should be happy that at least they aren't tight after all the cupcakes.

notme Experienced

wth? are you kidding me? it's 25.99 for 5 lbs. on ama zon. No Costcos here, but mom is coming next week and she goes to one and she may have to slip some in her suitcase. lol Wonder if Bjs has it? 

Is this the recipe for nun's puffs?

http://www.passthepocky.com/2009/08/nuns-puffs.html

lolz, just a word of advice:  airport security was alll upset when i was carrying a bag of flour...........  (brought corn flour back from new mexico)  i thought they were going to cut it open like a kilo of prime columbian!  i can't remember, but i think i had to open it...?  airport adventures volume 5 chapter 37.

lolz that is too funny!  i grew up in nj where soooooooo many people were catholic - the kids who went to catholic school really hated those nuns!!   ^_^

I don't know why I'm shocked every time I make something new and it turns out not only decent, but good. But I head into every new recipe without expectations. This keeps me from being disappointed if it is a total failure and sucks beyond all possible reason. I guess I was just more shocked than usual because it was a light, fluffy, airy bread-like object.

ME TOO!!!!!  i think it's because my early gluten free baking efforts were more like science projects (plus, now if it says 'beat the hell out of it'  i actually listen haha)

GottaSki Mentor

lolz, just a word of advice:  airport security was alll upset when i was carrying a bag of flour...........  (brought corn flour back from new mexico)  i thought they were going to cut it open like a kilo of prime columbian!  i can't remember, but i think i had to open it...?  airport adventures volume 5 chapter 37.

lolz that is too funny!  i grew up in nj where soooooooo many people were catholic - the kids who went to catholic school really hated those nuns!!   ^_^

ME TOO!!!!!  i think it's because my early gluten free baking efforts were more like science projects (plus, now if it says 'beat the hell out of it'  i actually listen haha)

yep ... learned my lesson once with a bag of flour

but really thought i was gonna be stripped with the cup of almond butter...

here is the key with the TSA..smile and joke about our situation....rather that than the alternative.......

IrishHeart Veteran

okay okay!  rather than have my 87- year- old Mom strip-searched (although who knows, she may get a kick out of it--maybe I should have asked her "hey Ma, wanna carry some flour and get fondled?" She's going to laugh at this convo, BTW)

I just ordered  a small bag from my pal ama zon to make sure I like it first.

Dinner tonight will be:  Spag and balls.

GottaSki Mentor

The other "Lucy" tripped over her own feet yesterday and has a nice swollen ankle -- doh...pretty sure nothing is broke so waiting for a picture.

Just a big case of yep...you are a dumb ass you finally get vertical and trip over your own feet again...lol

off to do rehab with mom...her health insurance has deemed her well enough to go home -- lol -- doesn't matter that she can't get out of bed or her wheelchair...she can "walk" 100 steps with a walker and a rehab therapist telling her to lift her feet for each step.

anyway the skilled nursing rehab rates are ridiculous for the couple minutes they spend with her so I'm back to primary rehab therapist -- 'tis okay I have more time with her so that is good.

thinking I'll move her back to the apartment I set up last summer -- sometime early next week and then my drive/gas usage will get easier as it is walkable distance from my house :)

lol...forgot to post...i am making ATK's biscuits later this morning thanks to Irish's generous gift of the most awesome gluten-free cookbook I've seen to date -- and the reason I hopped on this thread early this am :wub:

Edited by GottaSki
notme Experienced

The other "Lucy" tripped over her own feet yesterday and has a nice swollen ankle -- doh...pretty sure nothing is broke so waiting for a picture.

lol...forgot to post...i am making ATK's biscuits later this morning thanks to Irish's generous gift of the most awesome gluten-free cookbook I've seen to date -- and the reason I hopped on this thread early this am :wub:

ummmm.  no hopping for you, miss!!!  

i found some gluten-free 'raw' corn tortillas so it's play with yer food night.  i'm thinking chicken tacos w/peach salsa..........  or something that resembles it  ;)

Adalaide Mentor

I hope your ankle gets better fast!

Ooooh, did you get the Tortillaland ones? I've been thinking of trying them. For about a year now lol! I keep almost buying them then I don't because I'm scared they'll suck. Let me know how they are.

I really hope I didn't lead you all astray and that you all like this flour as much as I do. I think it's just the best thing ever. I also like that it has flax in it so I can lie to myself and pretend my cupcakes aren't quite as bad for me as other cupcakes. :P

We haven't decided on dinner yet. We're going out to the store to pick up some gardening supplies and are going to stop in at the a grocery store and see if we find anything interesting on sale. I usually drag him through the produce section and see if there is any fun salad stuff on sale I can force on him, and he pretends he hates being dragged over there. Or maybe he really hates it? :lol:

GottaSki Mentor

ummmm.  no hopping for you, miss!!! 

Don't I know it...silly thing needs a picture now that I've been up on it for a few hours -- funny how when you go to the drug store with crutches everyone has sympathy for you...but when your near dead from an autoimmune disease and you get "Well, at least you look really healthy!"

I was irritated by all the attention -- um it's a stoopid ankle folks -- R.I.C.E and maybe a splint and you are healed -- it ain't magic ;)

GottaSki Mentor

I really hope I didn't lead you all astray and that you all like this flour as much as I do. I think it's just the best thing ever. I also like that it has flax in it so I can lie to myself and pretend my cupcakes aren't quite as bad for me as other cupcakes. :P

Nah...I only ordered two pounds...haven't wasted money trying a new flour in years...still I'm betting it's good :)

IrishHeart Veteran

Don't I know it...silly thing needs a picture now that I've been up on it for a few hours -- funny how when you go to the drug store with crutches everyone has sympathy for you...but when your near dead from an autoimmune disease and you get "Well, at least you look really healthy!"

I was irritated by all the attention -- um it's a stoopid ankle folks -- R.I.C.E and maybe a splint and you are healed -- it ain't magic ;)

When I did that a while back, I ripped the ligaments up pretty good, Ski. ICE IT off and on all day. ELEVATE means sitting still. :)  

Mine took a long time to heal, but the ice helped. Doc said it would have been easier if I HAD broken it and he could have put a cast on it. After a few days, the PT had me doing ice one minute, heat one min.  , ice heat ice heat--ending on heat and making circles with my ankle. 

GottaSki Mentor

When I did that a while back, I ripped the ligaments up pretty good, Ski. ICE IT off and on all day. ELEVATE means sitting still. :)

Mine took a long time to heal, but the ice helped. Doc said it would have been easier if I HAD broken it and he could have put a cast on it. After a few days, the PT had me doing ice one minute, heat one min.  , ice heat ice heat--ending on heat and making circles with my ankle. 

I'm being good - ish.  Got Mom's PT done and am home now -- it's elevated, compressed with ice on it -- i usually do one half hour on/one off -- drives the men nuts when I make them ice more than they want!!!!

Good to know what I'm in for -- and I never use heat so I will once the swelling goes down.  I can PT myself while PT'ing with Mom -- so that is good timing...for all else timing sucks as usual ;)

Thanks Sis :)