This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

The What's For Dinner Tonight Chat

jess-gf

GottaSki Mentor

I literally dump:

Sliced pineapple...my slicer makes thick slices which we like in this cake.

Sprinkle good amount of Brown Sugar over pineapple

Sprinkle one package yellow cake mix -- I've used all different brands..they all work

Drizzle one stick melted butter over the works

Bake for 20-30 minutes at 350 -- time depends on what size pan you use -- again, I've used all sizes/shapes of pans.

Works well with granny smith apples too -- just add cinnamon on top -- yummy.

I use all brands of gluten-free Cream of soups -- I get which ever is least expensive...today I'm using Healthy Valley Organic because I ordered a case from amazon at a good price.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• IrishHeart

• Adalaide

• love2travel

• GottaSki

Top Posters In This Topic

• IrishHeart

IrishHeart 1,338 posts

• Adalaide

Adalaide 1,030 posts

• love2travel

love2travel 954 posts

• GottaSki

GottaSki 889 posts

Posted Images

Adalaide Mentor

So happy for you that you're on your bike again! :D

I'm off to PT and stopping on the way home at the library and post office. I got a thing yesterday saying they had something for me to pick up but that 39 cent is due for postage. I've never heard of the company it's from and I'm quite confused. I definitely want to know what it is before I go giving them my money, even if it isn't any real amount. I'm confused that a company just mailed me something and expects me to pay for the postage. :huh:

GottaSki Mentor

Thanks Addie!

IrishHeart Veteran

I literally dump:

Sliced pineapple...my slicer makes thick slices which we like in this cake.

Sprinkle good amount of Brown Sugar over pineapple

Sprinkle one package yellow cake mix -- I've used all different brands..they all work

Drizzle one stick melted butter over the works

Bake for 20-30 minutes at 350 -- time depends on what size pan you use -- again, I've used all sizes/shapes of pans.

I made this pineapple upside downer following Ski's suggestions for a family dinner party. Hubs and his Aunt Annie (you all know about her--the manhattan-loving gal? lol)  LOVE pineapple upside down cake and I confess, I had never eaten it in my entire life.

I had a box of KA G F yellow cake mi in my pantry  and did what Ski says here and it was a huge hit! I served it with vanilla bean ice cream. It "tasted like more" as we say in this house. ^_^

kareng Grand Master

They make these "dump" cakes at Boy Scouts/  They call them cobbler.  They are also good with a can of pie fillings - apple (with spice cake) , peach, blueberry, cherry - with chocolate cake mix.  They cook them in a dutch oven in the fire (coals on top of lid).

Two nights ago we had pasta with cheese baked on top.  Last night we had cheeseburger pie with assorted fruit and carrot sticks.  Not sure what we are doing tonight.

Adalaide Mentor

Apparently mysterious people are mailing me cookie cutters. I called the company on the way out of the house to PT and they're all psh... we don't know nothin bout nothin but we sell stuff on etsy and amazon and all over the interwebs so maybe you bought something and didn't know it was from us. Whatever. I got to the post office and they showed me a package, I felt it and was like, omg, almost definitely a cookie cutter. I was totally right! Now to notify the company to get their heads out of their butts in regards to shipping. And to figure out who sent it... as if that's gonna be hard. I'm lookin at you Irish. :P

IrishHeart Veteran

Apparently mysterious people are mailing me cookie cutters. I called the company on the way out of the house to PT and they're all psh... we don't know nothin bout nothin but we sell stuff on etsy and amazon and all over the interwebs so maybe you bought something and didn't know it was from us. Whatever. I got to the post office and they showed me a package, I felt it and was like, omg, almost definitely a cookie cutter. I was totally right! Now to notify the company to get their heads out of their butts in regards to shipping. And to figure out who sent it... as if that's gonna be hard. I'm lookin at you Irish. :P

I would love to take credit for this mystery package, but alas, I cannot. T'wasn't me this time. Honest! 

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

GottaSki Mentor

what shape are these cookie cutters????

Adalaide Mentor

what shape are these cookie cutters????

Giraffe! Just one, but that's all you need to make cookies with. There is only one appropriate shape to make cut out cookies into. At least in this house. :lol:

GottaSki Mentor

Giraffe! Just one, but that's all you need to make cookies with. There is only one appropriate shape to make cut out cookies into. At least in this house. :lol:

I suspect your Hubs...who would benefit most from a cookie cutter you love to use?

IrishHeart Veteran

well, we knew it had to be a giraffe ^_^ ........ but who sent it? hubs or your daughter maybe?

Adalaide Mentor

Or my mother maybe? Or my dad, which would be weird but I suppose he might do it. I just doubted my kids cause they already sent me crap for mother's day and there is no reason for them to send me crap now. I could see my husband doing it maybe, although he's not awesome at keeping secrets. Time to start gently harassing people.

LauraTX Rising Star

I would love to take credit for this mystery package, but alas, I cannot. T'wasn't me this time. Honest! 

One time when my friend who is also named Laura was pregnant, I sent her a giant package of hickory farms stuff because she craved sausage all the time.  I wrote in the little message box "Dear Laura, please enjoy eating my sausage, love, Laura."  And they didn't put it on there because they thought it was dirty... haha.  So, she asked on facebook "Ummm whoever sent me a box of sausages, thank you!  They are delicious!" which set off a firestorm of hilarity.  

Addy, I picked up some of the glutino faux oreos ("fauxreos" as I call them) and they are so good!  Why did I buy them?!  My hiney will grow from this.  I also have had a lot of joint pain and such this week, bad lupus days really, so I haven't been back to water aerobics.  Hopefully next week I will be able to. 

Yesterday I had leftover chicken tacos for a late lunch so I just ate a PB&J for dinner.  I went and got the hubby some wing stop to eat, he really likes their wings.  Today will be spaghetti with meat sauce and broccoli on the side.

BlessedMommy Rising Star

Whew, back from my Amish store shopping spree and exhausted! We hit 4 different Amish stores throughout southern Michigan and northern Indiana. Some of my great finds were Schar bread for 49 cents a bag (got 8 bags of it for 49 cents and the 9th bag free from their free box) and Lundberg rice for $1 per bag. (I got 6 bags of it, yay! That stuff usually costs me between $5-6 per bag) 

I also got several bags of corn pasta for 69 cents per bag and lots of other goodies. Resting now and putting away all of the food!

I'll probably make veggie wraps for supper again, they are so good with the fresh microgreens from my FarmBox. (weekly subscription to an organic farm, similar to CSA)

Adalaide Mentor

Fauxreos! Hahaha I love it! If I had better self control I would keep them in the house all the time. My sleeping pills say on the bottle to take with food and I take them half an hour before bed. Well cookies and milk are a perfect bedtime snack, but I just can't seem to control myself with those cookies. Fortunately, my husband is doing a good job of helping me with the ones we made this week. They make good lunchbox snacks too.

Adalaide Mentor

My mystery sender remains a mystery. <_<

Tonight we're going to just have burgers and corn on the cob and whatever other veggie I dig up for myself. With it having truly turned summer I'm rather enjoying things that are simple, delicious and take very little effort. Like lunch... apples and gouda. I was gifted a small block of gouda which I don't think I've had before. It is divine. Duh... it's cheese!

IrishHeart Veteran

At my bridal shower (the first marriage to Barney Rubble back in the stone age) someone gave me an unmarked box, no card and I opened it and it was a "dirty words game". Hilarious!

You know the kind I mean..letters that were magnetized so you could spell risque stuff out on the fridge?  The person I thought gave it to me has denied it for 31  years. No one has ever claimed responsibility. (I would have--it was a cool gift and I would taken the accolades! lol)

It's still a mystery. 

I guess you'll just have to enjoy the fact that someone was sweet enough to think of you!

LauraTX Rising Star

Tonight my husband wanted to grill out burgers (still on a roll with his new gas grill) so we made double patty burgers, I am soooo full now!

BlessedMommy Rising Star

Back from a day where I brought my own food to two different potlucks. 

We went to a lasagna lunch at our neighbors house and I brought my own penne pasta, salad, and treats. Supper was a potluck at the church and I didn't feel like any more heavy food in the heat so we had Canyon Bakehouse raisin bread with peanut butter, honey, and sour cherry jam, as well as a big fruit salad. The only thing that we ate from the potluck was some watermelon that we set aside beforehand.

I got a chance to talk to a gal today about gluten free food. Actually she brought up the subject. She knew I was gluten free and she had some questions about it. At one point her allergist recommended that she go off gluten for awhile, so she did. When she went back on, her headaches and eye pains came back with a vengeance. I explained to her about celiac and why she should get tested before going gluten-free again.

Now to plan for my FIL's birthday party tomorrow. I'm bringing a peanut butter pie, a watermelon cake, and stuff to grill like veggies and vegetarian "chicken" strips. (I use the Beyond Meat brand which is certified gluten-free) My sweet MIL said that we can have a whole separate grill for the gluten-free stuff and cover it with foil too. I'm so blessed, I think that I must have won the inlaw lottery.  :D

GottaSki Mentor

Ruth...I think that you are finding the rewards for being a good advocate : )

I had a fantastic day...at least five or six great stories...so I'll keep it short.

Children laughing

Books abound

Hubs cooking

Me back on my patio

Son telling tales

candles just snuffed and it is tomorrow.

Great end to the best celiac disease Awareness Month on record!

Next weekend I get to meet (hopefully) our resident hunk at the CDF Convention in Pasadena...good stuff is happening : )

BlessedMommy Rising Star

Sounds like a great day Lisa! :)

I need to get started on my watermelon cake soon. I'll have to post a picture when I'm done. 

IrishHeart Veteran

I had a fantastic day...at least five or six great stories...so I'll keep it short.

Children laughing

Books abound

Hubs cooking

Me back on my patio

Son telling tales

...conversation with your friend who made you laugh. ^_^ and vice versa

Ok, down 2 more lbs. Only have to do that 21 more times  :lol:

This week is looking like this:

S   Burgers and tomato/potato/kalamata olives gratin

M   Roast chicken, sweet potatoes and haricots vert 

T   Tuscan green and beans

W   Pork ragout with tagliatelle  

TH  Scallops and salmon, mushroom risotto and baby peas

F    Broccoli and garlic pizza bianco

Sa  still debating this part. We may have company for the Belmont Stakes race and I am pondering something more fancy.

We may have a Triple Crown winner. Go California Chrome!!

GottaSki Mentor

Yep.....and a good friend whom made me laugh out loud several times -- always fun when the hubs looks sideways to see why I'm giggling!

Lovely menu -- I may have to copy a few of those evenings.

It is Sunday once again so Dad comes to dinner...this week the Crock Pot Creme Brulee made it into KFG first thing this morning -- even before my first cup of caffiene!!!!

Dinner is Turkey Soup -- odd choice for warm weather, but am out of broth so I figured two birds - one stone :)

Off to walk before the sun breaks through the morning cloud cover.

IrishHeart Veteran

Let me know how that KFG creme brulee works out. toots!. I may do it next Saturday. :) 

For those looking for a delicious gratin, this is pretty good! the hubs--a potato-lover (yeah,. no Irish stereotype thing happening there lol)

loves this thing:

http://www.cookscountry.com/recipes/7799-potato-tomato-gratin

But our all-time favorite gratin is this one here:

http://leitesculinaria.com/61721/recipes-old-fashioned-potato-gratin.html

LauraTX Rising Star

Today I had done a lot of cleaning so my husband suggested going to BJs Brewhouse for dinner... don't have to ask me twice!  I didn't realize I was so hungry until I ate a whole gluten-free pizza and a gluten-free pizzokie :D  Gosh I love those things.  Good thing it is a little bit of a drive to get there or I would have to eat them more often and I would be fat!

Tomorrow I am going to make a big batch of rotini with meat and mushroom sauce to eat throughout the week for lunches.  Then I have a bunch of zuchinni and other veggies to cook up as well.