This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

The What's For Dinner Tonight Chat

jess-gf

Adalaide Mentor

Already heard back from the gelato people. A list of 10 flavors (they won't have all 10 at a time) that I can have, including salted caramel. And apparently the owner says lots of people are telling him it's the best they've ever had outside of Italy. I'm totally going there today, because I don't know how long they'll still have the salted caramel and I will not miss it! I'm already antsy to get out the door and I still need to shower and get dressed and my husband is still sleeping. :lol:

Oh supper? Uh.... gelato?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• IrishHeart

• Adalaide

• love2travel

• GottaSki

Top Posters In This Topic

• IrishHeart

IrishHeart 1,338 posts

• Adalaide

Adalaide 1,030 posts

• love2travel

love2travel 954 posts

• GottaSki

GottaSki 889 posts

Posted Images

GottaSki Mentor

My backyard project has slowed with heat and taking care of Hubs -- his nasty viral infection has turned to cough to pneumonia -- I am ready for my strong honey back...Friday is our 27th Anniversary on the 27th and the first Anniversary in about five years I am vertical!

Will take let you all now when I finish with the animal project or at least make major progress...was trying to get it done in time for son's House Show on Saturday...he is hosting a ska group from Seattle, punk group from the OC along with his "post metal" (whatever that is) and a couple other metal bands...our neighbors love us :wub:
-- maybe I'll put the traveling bands to work in the backyard after pancakes on Sunday morning...oh I like that idea :)

KFG is getting a work out...there is marinara sauce cooking right now to can for the younger men to use rather than store bought pasta sauce.  Then Turkey is going in for tonight...hubs has been asking and then Karen taunted me...so today I bought a big breast and a couple drumsticks to throw in the pot.  Thinking stuffing or rosemary potatoes and brussel sprouts but if I get tired might just go with tried and true mashies and petitie peas.

Adalaide Mentor

I'm sure all the bands make you everyone's favorite neighbor! :P

Hope your hubs feels better soon. It's no fun having a sick husband. :(

GottaSki Mentor

I'm sure all the bands make you everyone's favorite neighbor! :P

Interestingly it does get the hood talking...and I make the son's current band go door to door at least six weeks in advance to ask permission for the date they want...that and all amplified music ends at 7pm...all acoustic hours actually bring some folks out of there homes to listen :)

Adalaide Mentor

Interestingly it does get the hood talking...and I make the son's current band go door to door at least six weeks in advance to ask permission for the date they want...that and all amplified music ends at 7pm...all acoustic hours actually bring some folks out of there homes to listen :)

That actually sounds like a sweet deal. And who could pass up free entertainment on a summer night?

Just got home from getting some gelato. It. Was. Amazing. It really should be a sin it's so good.

My husband just wants fries and burgers for dinner. I don't really feel like doing any cooking so I'm perfectly happy to let him have his way. I'm hoping that by tomorrow I'll feel human again.

Adalaide Mentor

I finally have an appetite back, yay! I wasn't feeling great this morning but told my friend I would work for her at the college because she needed to go get a strep test. I knew I needed to eat something, so I had a bowl of oatmeal. By lunchtime I was ravenous, I guess not really eating anything substantial for 4 days really catches up with you. :lol:

I have one of those cook it in its own bag pork tenerloins in the fridge. So naturally I'll take it out and rotisserie it, because if it can be rotisseried, it will be! And I'm sure there are veggies of some sort in the kitchen. I saw a recipe a few days ago for scalloped carrots that looked interesting. I may get ambitious and make those.

LauraTX Rising Star

Addy you make me really want a rotisserie!  I have no room for more stuff in my kitchen, though, and I have a huge kitchen... LOL.  My next big purchase is definitely going to be a thermapen so I can take instant easy temperature readings of food.  They are near $100 though, so I am going to drop hints for Christmas.

Yesterday I had leftover red beans and rice that I had frozen, and today I will probably make grilled chicken and whatever veggies are in there laying around.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Adalaide Mentor

I needed a new toaster, it also works as a toaster oven and was on clearance for a silly price. The kitchen is so small I feel like I can't turn around in it, but I wouldn't give it up for anything!

$100 for a kitchen thermometer? :blink: I think I'll keep using my $20 one and be slow. :lol: I really would like one of those ones that you stick in the meat and leave it in and put the electronic part on the counter and it'll beep when your meat is done though. Those are nice. ^_^

LauraTX Rising Star

Oh, I LOVE those remote read thermometers.  They are worth it for your sanity at thanksgiving and any time you roast something and don't want to check all the time.  I had a really cheap one that I had to rig up  and hold a certain way for it to still work, and last month I WON A NEW ONE from my favorite cooking blog.  I was so freaking excited!!!  It is a really good chef quality one so hopefully it will last forever.  Of course I have told yall I am a germaphobe, but one of my great fears is food borne illness.  I temp check everything, but I also don't like overcooked dry meat, so I really try to make sure I am at a good temp, but not over.  

Next time, on "Laura's Anal Retentive Kitchen"....  watch Laura fully sanitize everything in her kitchen three times over after putting a whole chicken in to roast.

LOL

(Im not joking... hahaha)

Last night I made chocolate chip cookies, a half batch.  But I forgot to halve the eggs, so they turned out more like chocolate chip muffin mounds.  Still good, but very poofy.  Tonight I still need to hit the grocery store, but I am thinking maybe a grilled pork tenderloin or something like that.

Adalaide Mentor

My husband is a bit of a germaphope. The only reason I own a stupid thermometer at all is to get him to shut up about his stupid meat. And omg beef? If it's brown on the outside I'm pretty sure it's done. If my plate doesn't look like I just murdered an animal when I'm done eating, it was cooked too long. He's all EWWWWWWWW!!!!! <_<:lol:

And I'd probably make you crazy in the kitchen. I just throw things anywhere that is out of immediate way and when I'm done cooking my kitchen looks like a hurricane hit it. Which all gets promptly dealt with... :mellow::):lol: nah, it gets left til tomorrow when I haven't just eaten dinner in the middle of the freaking night and am nearly ready for bed.

Tonight will be the remainder of our leftover pork with idk what yet. I think I have a rather large sweet potato in the kitchen I could bake or make wedges out of.

Adalaide Mentor

Hey, I almost forgot!!!

happy-anniversary-smiley-emoticon.gif

Adalaide Mentor

My oldest daughter just won the SkillsUSA national Robotics and Automation Competition with her partner. Next summer they go to Brazil to compete internationally! This is the one that wanted to be a chemical engineer, did the FIRST competition and fell madly in love with robots. She is now headed off this fall, switching from a community college to a university as a mechanical engineer. I feel like my heart could pop from pride. :wub:

Adalaide Mentor

Yesterday I skipped coming home after the market. Instead I stoped by the store, picked up one of those ready to eat, single person salads that comes with a fork and everything (they're awesome) and a couple Bolthouse Farms drinks and headed off to my BFF's office. She had some ideas on how I could get my products online, which I've been avoiding because of shipping costs being astronomical due to weight. Then we went to JoAnn's together, a dangerous but fun proposition! We spent 2 or 3 hours there, we both totally lost track. But, she has a new hobby she's enjoying that is keeping her sane. And, I have ideas for two new products that I can have ready for next Saturday. I was still so excited that I was pretty much bouncing off the walls when I got home at nearly 10. By 11:30 I crashed, hard. lol!

I'm thinking dinner tonight should be chicken maybe. It'll be easy but awesome and give me lots of time to work. I have an Italian marinade a store wasn't going to carry anymore and picked up for less than a buck. And it's not even made of a billion kinds of soy, I was so shocked! :) It's also delicious. I'll probably make something easy and simple to go with it, but I have no idea what yet. I'm sure something will come to me.

GottaSki Mentor

Too pooped to pop today....giving youngest the link to make this:

Removed link....doh...privacy blunder

kareng Grand Master

Just saw an ad for an HBO series called " The Leftovers". Is it based on this thread? Perhaps it should be called " Encores"?

IrishHeart Veteran

Just saw an ad for an HBO series called " The Leftovers". Is it based on this thread? Perhaps it should be called " Encores"?

If'n I was in charge, it would be.  ^_^

GottaSki Mentor

Freaking thieves ;)

So I was puking for a day and a half...could have been too much wine, too much coffee or simply a little bug that has thankfully flown away :D

Sunday night changed...sent the youngest to get a tri-tip as the men all needed beef!

Last night Hubs was back in the kitchen - hip hip hooray - made simple grilled pork chops, rice and veggies.

Tonight we have Turkey Meatloaf and tomorrow I'm finally making that one pan chicken, green beans (oh crap what am I supposed to call them?) and potatoes.

ps...thanks Addie :)

kareng Grand Master

Freaking thieves ;)

So I was puking for a day and a half...could have been too much wine, too much coffee or simply a little bug that has thankfully flown away :D

Sunday night changed...sent the youngest to get a tri-tip as the men all needed beef!

Last night Hubs was back in the kitchen - hip hip hooray - made simple grilled pork chops, rice and veggies.

Tonight we have Turkey Meatloaf and tomorrow I'm finally making that one pan chicken, green beans (oh crap what am I supposed to call them?) and potatoes.

ps...thanks Addie :)

Puking - BAD!

1 pan chicken, potatoes and green beans ( calling them what they are!) sounds great. Is that recipe on here? I'll have to look later.

IrishHeart Veteran

You both know full well there are green beans and there are haricot verts...and if you are eating haricots verts, you better call them that!  :P

you little shi.......

We're having pork enchiladas and cilantro lime rice. 

Tropical depression #1 is here...raining like mad and it's only 78. It was 92 on Saturday. 

GottaSki Mentor

Puking - BAD!

1 pan chicken, potatoes and green beans ( calling them what they are!) sounds great. Is that recipe on here? I'll have to look later.

nope..it is the one I removed cuz the link had my realworld FB name in it ;)

will find and post later

Adalaide Mentor

Saw my pain management doc yesterday. He was finally able to get in contact with a drug rep and get enough samples to try me out on a ridiculously expensive drug to see if it helps or not, or even if I tolerate it, before wasting any resources on it. Fortunately the company that makes it has a program where they'll provide the drug completely free of charge in 3 month supplies so if it helps I can actually get it. I don't have 40some odd dollars a month to add to my medication bill. :o Sometimes I wonder why I have insurance at all.

Last night we tried a new experiment. Bacon stuffed pancakes. They didn't come out as I hoped, but tasted awesome. I settled for one and had a huge bowl of cantaloupe and cottage cheese. I think tonight I am making chili. I keep almost making it, then something comes up. I think today I need to finish making some patterns, make some basket liners, and weed the garden a little after sunset and before dark. So something as easy as throw it all at a pot sounds about right.

notme Experienced

good for you, addie!  :)  

i have this sandwich i make, and it's awesome.  my kids are all bugging me to try to sell them at the street fair they do in town on labor day weekend.  plenty of lead time.  except, i would like to see if i can fake people out and get some udi's rolls <like the delicious ones they sell to red robin)  so i contacted udi's.  still haven't heard back  :(  

only have one kid today and i just heard they are picking him up early, so i am eating encore awesome sammich for dinner and i might go down to the river and float for awhile.  or soak my head, one.....   <_<

kareng Grand Master

good for you, addie!   :)

i have this sandwich i make, and it's awesome.  my kids are all bugging me to try to sell them at the street fair they do in town on labor day weekend.  plenty of lead time.  except, i would like to see if i can fake people out and get some udi's rolls <like the delicious ones they sell to red robin)  so i contacted udi's.  still haven't heard back   :(

only have one kid today and i just heard they are picking him up early, so i am eating encore awesome sammich for dinner and i might go down to the river and float for awhile.  or soak my head, one.....   <_<

Without giving away any trade secrets - what sort of Sammy is this?

LauraTX Rising Star

Addy, that is great to hear.  With a lot of those specialty drugs... as you say, why do I even have insurance?  LOL

Yesterday I went to walmart to pick up a few things, don't go there often.  Checked out the gluten-free section as always, and they have walmart brand gluten-free products now.  Mac n cheese, deluxe mac n cheese (shells and a regular one), faux oreos, shortbread cookies, chocolate chip cookies that were out of stock-lol, a beef stroganoff dinner, one kind of penne pasta, and some granola bars.  All have a certified seal from... oh it wasnt GFCO it was one of the foundations.  I picked up the deluxe shells and cheese and it wasn't bad.. was $2.14 I think, definitely is not annies.  But not neccesarily worth going to walmart over, still.  And of course I checked the freezer section and they no longer sell Udis bread, ya gain some ya lose some.  They never stocked that bread right anyways.

Lets see.... Sunday was tacos!  Yesterday I made myself a pasta with zuchinni and mushrooms with some parm and romano on top.  Tonight will be stir fry.

Adalaide Mentor

I don't even know if it's a specialty drug or just a new brand name drug. It's Savella, which is technically for fibro but we're going off label. My doc says more than half his patients he gives it to can't tolerate it, because it makes them so nauseous they can't eat. (So far so good for me.) But for the few it helps the results are breathtaking. I'll try just about anything at this point. I'm trying to avoid a 5 day hospital stay for ketamine. :ph34r: But at the same time, I want to preserve what function I have left in my left hand while I can. :)

Our dinner plans changed apparently. My husband crawled out of bed, told me he doesn't want arguments just facts... then grilled me on pizza prices. He went with ThePie, which is the place that has a separate gluten-free kitchen and is 25 miles up the freeway. <_< I appreciate the consideration but we have a GIG certified place down the hill that I can get a pizza at for half the price, then again it's half the pizza. He's scared cause I got sick there once, which is my own fault for going on a busy BUSY Friday night. Derp. I don't blame them, I blame me for being stupid. I think I'm ready to try again! I've eaten there before without getting sick so I know they can do it right I just need to be sensible about when I go.

Anywho, all that to say PIZZA!!! YAY! B) (And if we do make the trek to Sandy to ThePie maybe we'll just make an evening of it in the city.)