This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

The What's For Dinner Tonight Chat

jess-gf

IrishHeart Veteran

The purr sounded like the sound Bugs bunny makes just before he says "what's up doc"? :D

like a very soft  "fffffcccch"..like the rapid tiny soft sound of teeth chattering...(when my cat sees a bird, she does this sound)

I had to ask the girl "is that her teeth chattering ?" she said "she's purring"

it was like this, only softer sounding.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• IrishHeart

• Adalaide

• love2travel

• GottaSki

Top Posters In This Topic

• IrishHeart

IrishHeart 1,338 posts

• Adalaide

Adalaide 1,030 posts

• love2travel

love2travel 954 posts

• GottaSki

GottaSki 889 posts

Posted Images

Adalaide Mentor

I pulled my first purple carrot out of the ground tonight. It's purple top was showing just at the edge of the dirt so I pulled it because I'm impatient. It's short and stubby, but as fat as could be. I'm sure it'll be delicious. I'll feed it to my husband because he'll at least eat raw carrots so it's a way to feed him veggies and Freya is rather enjoying the green carrot tops. I :wub: my bun. She may be a brat but she's certainly a spoiled one. She'll get the nub from the top of the carrot too, we don't let her have much because they're so sugary it's like feeding her candy, but we do indulge her a little.

kareng Grand Master

Oh! That's the bunny noise you called purring! Happy bunnies like to chew their teeth. And they lay, all stretched out with the back legs sideways. We have a wild bun that does that every afternoon under our bush. We can see her very closely from a window. Her mother did it and her mother before her. Our dog doesn't chase rabbits and neither do the humans so our buns let us all get very close.

BlessedMommy Rising Star

Burrito bowls (lettuce, tomato, cilantro, guacamole, soy cheese, soy yogurt, white basmati rice, pinto beans, salsa) with fruit salad (raspberries, grapes, apples).

IrishHeart Veteran

Oh! That's the bunny noise you called purring! Happy bunnies like to chew their teeth. And they lay, all stretched out with the back legs sideways. We have a wild bun that does that every afternoon under our bush. We can see her very closely from a window. Her mother did it and her mother before her. Our dog doesn't chase rabbits and neither do the humans so our buns let us all get very close.

That's what our wild buns did up in NY. Isn't it awesome to watch them lay there like that!!?? :) . They used to take dirt baths too.

So funny. Man, I miss those buns. :( And neither  the dog nor any of the cats chased them  (or they'd have gotten

in big trouble with me!) 

BUT! I have seen a few buns around our new home in FL. So exciting. Now if they can outrun the bobcat, gators and whatever else lives 

on the preserve, I'll have backyard buns once more. Cuz....We all know if there are 2 buns, chances are.....

Now, can you all do me a big fave this morning?  Can you hope for some sun here in VA please? It's not fun driving all those miles to see OUTDOOR historical landmarks etc. in the pouring rain. It came down in sheets yesterday afternoon. Today may be a total washout...what am I supposed to do? sit in the hotel room? BORING....Thank yew!! -_-

Tonight may be a cross your fingers and eat night. I sent some of you the info from the restaurant owner last week--the one where he said he could accommodate celiacs. The reviews from fellow GeeFreers are all very positive. I already had to shrug off a small hit @8 days ago...can't afford another one.(  Note to self: don't taste the hubs' food ever again without asking about it.. :huh: .but really? who the hell puts flour in Bernaise sauce? because that's just WRONG.WRONG WRONG! ah well......Live/learn.

That one was my fault entirely. It was NOT on the G F menu and I ASSumed.<<<yeah, I'm an ass as a result.

but......Pooping your brains out for an entire day while traveling........ so not cool. :unsure:

I was trying to use at least 5 emoticons in a post. Could be a personal best!  :lol: make it 6. 

Have a great day, everyone!

GF Lover Rising Star

good-afternoon-smiley-emoticon.gif     I'm coming your way !!!

user001 Contributor

Ohhh ok, I was going to say! I had bunnies growing up and I have cats now. I never remember the bunnies purring for me. I just thought that was the sound they made when they breathed.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

GottaSki Mentor

So yesterday ended up being fried chicken with smashed sweet potatoes/potatoes and asparagus.

Had plugged in KFG and grated mozzarella just to find out we were out of pasta sauce...I make huge pots of it in the crock and then can/jar and store them. Boys use all the time for bagel pizzas and pasta for lunch...they are supposed to tell me when they grab the last jar...oh well.

Today the kitchen smells lovely with the Two KFGs simmering sauce. Spaghetti and mini meatballs for dinner.

Adalaide Mentor

You can send the rain here and I'll send you our sun. Other people were dashing to their cars last Thursday night to get from the pavilion as dry as possible. I knew I'd be soaked anyway so I just walked through the downpour. I don't mind the rain at all. Everyone probably thought I was a weirdo. Which is fine, cause I kinda am. ^_^

We're going to the dollar theater today and going out for gelato after that. I haven't put much thought into supper, but I sure have been contemplating which flavor gelato to get.

IrishHeart Veteran

Made it until about 2, when the skies opened up. We had to walk a LONG way to the shuttle bus, then to the car.

No point in running or even walking fast. Had to come back to the hotel to take a hot shower and wring out our clothes.

oh well. (guess where the umbrella was? the car, of course!)

We saw some good stuff before that happened. The kind of sad part was I bought some hand made soaps for someone

(ok, for me) and well, the bag got super wet and tore apart and well, and I was waiting for the bubbles.... :lol:

SMRI Collaborator

Road/travel meals this week:

Bonefish three times (MD, NY and VA)  Once was grilled chilean sea bass, one was tilapia and one was filet. All excellent.

Dinner with friends at Joe's Crab Shack. (NY) Excellent. All 5 of us G F (3 celiacs, 2 supportive hubs) DELICIOUS crab/lobster, corn, potatoes.

Dinner at my cousin and his wife's house (NH) She is also my dear friend... I made his birthday cake: Flourless choc with ganache and I made a caprese salad. She made grilled steak tips & chicken and a potato salad. (they are G F too) 

Dinner with Mom and sister at Not Your Average Joe's (MA). Good burger, so-so roll. meh. lol

Had a late lunch today, and we are road-weary (plus we walked all over Jamestown today) so we may just have salad with nuked Purdue G F chicken tenders in the hotel.  Good selection of safe foods in the local Food Lion. First time for me in one of those grocery stores.

They also had good Toufayan Gluten Free Wraps.

who says you can't travel when you're G F? >>not this girl<<

PS ADDY

THINKING ABOUT YOU TODAY...

I GOT TO HOLD A GIRL'S PET BUNNY TODAY. SHE WAS ANGORA AND SHE WAS PURRING.

MADE MY DAY, WEEK, YEAR. :) :)

Nice you found all of those restaurants with good gluten-free options!!!  My trouble is when I'm in Boonedock, USA and my choice is food from a tiny gas station!!

Hubs is going to make this tonight:

BlessedMommy Rising Star

Smashed potatoes (mashed potatoes, except I left the skin on), cooked fresh green beans, pasta salad (corn pasta) with tofu. 

GottaSki Mentor

Sorry Irish..,I missed the sun dance post...could have sent you plenty from here today!

What scent are the bubbles?

Believe it or not we may have thunder storms tomorrow...crazy weather...but we sure can use every drop!

One of the men is making the mini meatballs as we speak...the other is going to make garlic bread.

IrishHeart Veteran

Sorry Irish..,I missed the sun dance post...could have sent you plenty from here today!

What scent are the bubbles?

4 soaps......lavender, bayberry, lemon and castille...my car smells fabulous. :lol:

Adalaide Mentor

Went out for gelato. Saw on facebook today that he finished his brownie batter flavor and just for me has it in the same machine with the salted caramel for swirls. We were there an hour after he posted the picture. :lol: It was positively heavenly. He was disappointed because one of them wasn't quite frozen to his standard of perfection when it came out so he didn't charge us for it and sent me home with a bowl for later. I would have kissed him if I didn't have half frozen lips.

We're having fish and chips for dinner now that I have my gelato in me. Yes, I eat my dessert first sometimes. My grandfather taught me it was okay at my first Christmas and I've never dropped the habit. I love perfect Tuesdays. It's our weekend on Tuesday and Wednesday so we do what we can to enjoy ourselves.

Glad you manage not to let a little rain ruin your sense of humor. Maybe next time you need a plastic bag. :P

IrishHeart Veteran

Glad you manage not to let a little rain ruin your sense of humor. Maybe next time you need a plastic bag. :P

But they don't have plastic bags in 18th century colonial Williamsburg soap shops. :P sillypants. 

SMRI Collaborator

Hubs went shopping yesterday....first time since I've been diagnosed.  I know he didn't read labels, so I double checked everything. He was so proud he bought some candy he "knew" I could have because we've both have major sweet tooth cravings....so, first thing I see in the bag, Twizzlers, knew those were not gluten-free.  Then, Good and Plenty's...2nd ingredient, wheat flour.  Seems he's missed something in the translation here.  I asked him what he thought I could and could not eat and he said "flour stuff"....the grocery store here has a dietitian on staff and they will walk you through the store and show you what you can and can not eat.  I think I'll take him with me and do that.

GottaSki Mentor

Dinner tonight is teriyaki pineapple short ribs with BBQd pineapple rings and salad.

Off to the local shelter...all the bunny talk has me thinking ;)

mommida Enthusiast

We have 2 bunnies up for adoption.  A boy (buck) who broke his leg, lilac agouti/ Lynx Holland Lop; and a girl (doe) she is a bit overweight - Chestnut Agouti Holland Lop.

Adalaide Mentor

If we had room for another bunny we'd add one. But I just don't have the room, patience or stamina to go through the whole get them to know each other and get along crap to add another. So Freya is an only child. She's probably also a tad overweight. :ph34r: She's a mini lop, I prefer down-eared bunnies but I wasn't prepared for how BIG a mini sized bunny would get. :huh: I love her all the same.

It rained overnight the last two nights and was raining still this morning when I woke up which means I have two days off now from watering the garden. Yay!

I'm going to go to the store today to see if they still have reasonably priced fish before I strain my oil and clean my pan. I have to go to the library across the street anyway so it won't be an extra trip. I'm sure if I don't find any nice fish that I'll think up something else good for supper.

I'm going to buy some psyllium husk powder today and see if I can't turn out a decent loaf of bread too. Then I can take sandwiches with me to comic con. We're going to make beef jerky at the beginning of that week, freeze grapes, I think grab some Snyders pretzels and maybe some Breton crackers, pepperoni and cheese for grown up "lunchables" so I think we've just about got it all worked out by now. It would just be nice to add a PB&J maybe with some homemade jelly maybe. ^_^ We've got 15 more days and I'm getting more and more antsy by the minute. I can hardly even stand to be around myself, I must be making my husband crazy. :lol:

GF Lover Rising Star

Off to the local shelter...all the bunny talk has me thinking ;)

I have 2 Dogs, 2 Birds, 1 Cat, 3 Koi in the pond, 5 fish in the tank and a Husband.  I need another animal like a hole in the head.  :blink:

GottaSki Mentor

So first visit to the shelter went well...no blatant allergic reaction to the bunnies or their habitat at the shelter...also went to sniff and fondle some hay...lol...may have an issue with the hay...going to go without my daily antihistamines tomorrow morning to see how I do. Met the sweetest little dude named Matthias...he could make me break my pets are always female in this house rule ;)

Anywho...if I pass the hands on allergy tests will have my son do the same. Can already see Matt hanging in my igloo with me!

Also ran into the smartest little spaniel mix whose owners are deciding whether to get her out of jail...huh? What is to decide...either pick your dog up from jail or if life has made it impossible for you to do right by your pet, relinquish your rights asshat. I may have put a hold on her on my way out.

Adalaide Mentor

I have hay fever. Really high on my list of bunnies are too cute to matter. :D

Nothing exciting at the store today on sale or cheap. Maybe we'll have wieners for supper. Maybe chicken. Don't know yet. Too soon to really be worried yet.I did pick up a salad at the store and some orange and yellow peppers so whatever else there is there will be salad at least.

LauraTX Rising Star

Hubs went shopping yesterday....first time since I've been diagnosed.  I know he didn't read labels, so I double checked everything. He was so proud he bought some candy he "knew" I could have because we've both have major sweet tooth cravings....so, first thing I see in the bag, Twizzlers, knew those were not gluten-free.  Then, Good and Plenty's...2nd ingredient, wheat flour.  Seems he's missed something in the translation here.  I asked him what he thought I could and could not eat and he said "flour stuff"....the grocery store here has a dietitian on staff and they will walk you through the store and show you what you can and can not eat.  I think I'll take him with me and do that.

I have gone through the same thing with my husband.  I finally realized that all the stuff I read is going to my eyes only, and about 8 months after diagnosis I finally was like oh yeah, I need to teach him!  One day he brought home banana pudding ice cream that has cookies in it.... used to be my favorite.   I told him he better eat the whole thing before I cry, haha.  But he has been pretty good, it is good to focus on when they get it right, too.  Unfortunately you can't sugar coat "No that has flour in it."... haha! ^_^

...Off to the local shelter...all the bunny talk has me thinking ;)

Bunnies are so cute, but they make my throat swell.  Cuddle one for me!

RMJ Mentor

... also went to sniff and fondle some hay...lol...may have an issue with the hay...going to go without my daily antihistamines tomorrow morning to see how I do.

Bunnies can eat more than one type of hay. If alfalfa bothers you, you could try timothy. Although it might be hard to always buy the type that doesn't bother you. i think the local house rabbit society sells a mix (at least they used to - it has been years since I had a bunny).