This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

The What's For Dinner Tonight Chat

jess-gf

cyclinglady Grand Master

Yesterday was interesting.....traveling, stopped to visit the in-laws...they decided that we would go out for lunch because she didn't know what I could eat...ok...restaurant not gluten-free or really gluten friendly. Ended up with a plain salad, no dressing because the waitress didn't know what was in the dressings and a steak that probably was ok. Then off to a wedding..caterer said meal was gluten-free, and had a clue..has ice cream instead of cake for us, so probably ok there. Then my one son FINALLY emailed me his labs....they didn't run the right tests....just a bunch of tests for food allergies ....lovely...I'm going to have to have him call and give them permission to talk to me so I can tell them what he needs...he's away in college. He's near Chicago and I didn't think to have him go to the u of Chicago for testing.

U of Chicago's fee screening is 10/11/2014, if he can wait that long. At least you know the right tests would be done.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• IrishHeart

• Adalaide

• love2travel

• GottaSki

Top Posters In This Topic

• IrishHeart

IrishHeart 1,338 posts

• Adalaide

Adalaide 1,030 posts

• love2travel

love2travel 954 posts

• GottaSki

GottaSki 889 posts

Posted Images

kareng Grand Master

You need to pre-register for the free screening.  On page 3 of this link it has info

http://www.cureceliacdisease.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/CdC_Newsletter_0614.pdf

GottaSki Mentor

Got a herd of young men today...going to make KFG garlic enchilada casserole and large salad.

FYI...was making a double batch of Betty Crocker choc chip cookie bars for them and ran out of butter....this house never runs out of butter...anyway I subbed coconut oil...they turned out fine. Also had half a bag of brownie mix I threw in to add more chocolate :)

LauraTX Rising Star

....KFG garlic enchilada casserole....

As someone who loves garlic and loves enchiladas... what do you put in there?  Our steak turned out good, always love passing off the cooking duties off to the hubs.  Then were were going to watch TV (Kari, Tory, and Grant leaving Mythbusters, whaaaaaaat?!?!?!??!) But I fell asleep from the full tummy so he DID THE DISHES, took out the trash, and put new sheets on the bed while I slept!!!!!!!!  So hot when men do housework!!!!  :wub:

GottaSki Mentor

I blend garlic gloves with diced green jalapeño peppers, sugar, salt, pepper, milk Blend....add cream...blend again.

Favorite ones I add a bunch of fresh cilantro.

All my batches are different, but I did send Karen a rough recipe....I'll try and cut and paste it.

You can also try the search this thread feature with enchiladas...pretty sure I've posted enchilada recipes a few times here.

kareng Grand Master

Something to do with your waffle iron.  The salmon seemed a bit wrong -but they cooked tator tots in it and that seemed like a great idea.  The guy has a website and a book.

https://gma.yahoo.com/photos/way-more-than-waffles-make-breakfast-lunch-dinner-in-your-waffle-iron-slideshow/

IrishHeart Veteran

so he DID THE DISHES, took out the trash, and put new sheets on the bed while I slept!!!!!!!!  So hot when men do housework!!!!  :wub:

I agree...and in addition to doing all those things you mentioned, mine also does the vacuuming, the grilling  and actually likes to grocery shop. I do these things too---but he is very good about "sharing" the load.

He quickly learned to label- read too.Took the time to learn how to check ingredients. . ...oh, and he can make bread.   :wub: and he brews beer...he's a big multi-talented sweetie.

(except I am mad at him right now. He got a cold while we were on the road for two weeks and he promptly "shared"  it with me. My throat is on fire..ugh)

last night, we barely had the oomph to eat, much less have the energy  to make dinner. Easy....baked potatoes and a steak on the grill. Not hungry really.

I may have  ice cream for dinner...that's how bad I feel. lol (but not funny ha-ha) 

that's it for me...going back to prop up on the couch...I just noticed....day time TV is awful...how do people watch this ridiculous crap??

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

GF Lover Rising Star

Feeling like death here too.  One word for you IH...NETFLIX  :D

SMRI Collaborator

Family are entitled to adjustment frustrations just as we are. My hubs is very supportive...doesn't mean he instantly said let's make our house gluten-free.....although he was the one to suggest it eventually.

As for dressing...there are individual packages at some fast food places...I used to ask for two or three when we ordered baked potatoes and chili at Wendy's on road trips. That way when I hit a real restaurant that I wasn't certain of their gluten-free dressings I'd use one from my purse.

I brought food to eat because I figured that they wouldn't have anything gluten-free--and we purposely arrived "after" lunch time so they wouldn't feel like they needed to make us anything--they sprung the going out to eat on us so I just did the best I could.  I'll have to get some salad dressing packets though  That is a good idea!

U of Chicago's fee screening is 10/11/2014, if he can wait that long. At least you know the right tests would be done.

I will pass this along.  I don't think he will be on campus that weekend though unfortunately.  Frankly, the dr didn't run the right tests, they can take blood and run the right tests for free.  It's just not that hard...they send the labs to a big lab testing center and if he had ordered Celiac testing, they would have known what tests to run.

IrishHeart Veteran

yes, I am already on it. lol thx, hon. get well soon.

kareng Grand Master

love the spider!

IrishHeart Veteran

love the spider!

he's adorbs, but I liked the tiny bug thinger she had crawling around last week better.  

kareng Grand Master

he's adorbs, but I liked the tiny bug thinger she had crawling around last week better.  

Oh yeah!  The bug!  that was a good one.

kareng Grand Master

10513505_10152275003650894_7400850921858

A slow cooker

IrishHeart Veteran

Oh yeah!  The bug!  that was a good one.

that math guy you've got now....looks like me when I am doing anything harder than simple  "goes intos"....lol

Slow cooker...HILARIOUS!!!!!!!!! :lol: love it.

love2travel Mentor

Hello from Croatia! We were without internet for over three weeks (long sordid tale) until now. But, tonight we had fresh octopus, squid and shrimp peka. Peka is both noun and verb and refers to the dish (ingredients) and cooking vessel. Peka is placing potatoes and other vegetables into a heavy metal pan, along with a protein, usually pork or lamb. Then it is seasoned and placed onto hot coals, covered with a domed lid (akin to tagline) where it is covered with embers and roasted for several hours. Unbelievably succulent, tender and sublime. We like to use wild herbs and the juice of roasted lemons squeezed on top. Oh, and fig cake I made from figs a few metres away.

GottaSki Mentor

Hello from Croatia! We were without internet for over three weeks (long sordid tale) until now. But, tonight we had fresh octopus, squid and shrimp peka. Peka is both noun and verb and refers to the dish (ingredients) and cooking vessel. Peka is placing potatoes and other vegetables into a heavy metal pan, along with a protein, usually pork or lamb. Then it is seasoned and placed onto hot coals, covered with a domed lid (akin to tagline) where it is covered with embers and roasted for several hours. Unbelievably succulent, tender and sublime. We like to use wild herbs and the juice of roasted lemons squeezed on top. Oh, and fig cake I made from figs a few metres away.

Yum and welcome back to your internet connection...can you send some Peka to Irish and her hubs...they are feeling a bit peaked ;)

Seriously, feel better Irish and hubs...glad you made it home, but time for the bug to leave.

Speaking of bugs...Coll's spider is cool....that crawly teeny thing last week was not...perhaps it is because we are dealing with our very first flea infestation since advantage was created....not sure if they advantage resistant or if poor Niki's compromised 15 year old body has something to do with it.

Regardless...we tried these nifty light with sticky paper traps that worked well as I didn't want to use chemicals with all my issues...but we may be adopting a little girlie this week and can't chance it as the shelter already has advantage resistant fleas there...ugh.

So the house except my igloo is being heavily bombed while I sit in the AC of our local library. Boys get home from school at 1pm and will open everything back up to hopefully air it out enough for me to return a few hours after that.

Dinner...In and Out...won't be able to properly clean the kitchen until my good hours early tomorrow morning.

I hate bugs! But do love the new spider Colleen :)

GF Lover Rising Star

I liked the cockroach running around but last night I watched an episode of X-Files and it was about these killer mechanical cockroaches.   Freaked out so nixed the bug   :lol:

Not much appetite yet, maybe soup tonight.

GottaSki Mentor

Bummer...didn't catch that you had a bug too.

Soup all around..live got some in the freeze.

SMRI Collaborator

Made pork chops and roasted potatoes.  

My son called the clinic back to ask about the testing--they told him they couldn't do the Celiac testing--um, then WHY did you do ANY tests???  

kareng Grand Master

Cheese ravioli with smashed tomato sauce and arugula and a little turkey Italian sausage.

GottaSki Mentor

Italian snuck in here as well....

Temporary reprieve on humidity helped me get the kitchen back in order.

Half ground pork half Italian sausage mixed up like meatloaf...then had one of the guys spoon into mini muffin tins so I could bake in the toaster oven.

Found fettuccini noodles deep in the pasta cabinet...so those with pasta sauce and the balls

Steamed broccoli as side for men and my main...feeling the need for broccoli :)

kareng Grand Master

Italian snuck in here as well....

Temporary reprieve on humidity helped me get the kitchen back in order.

Half ground pork half Italian sausage mixed up like meatloaf...then had one of the guys spoon into mini muffin tins so I could bake in the toaster oven.

Found fettuccini noodles deep in the pasta cabinet...so those with pasta sauce and the balls

Steamed broccoli as side for men and my main...feeling the need for broccoli :)

Great way to make meat " balls". Do you add any breadcrumbs?

GottaSki Mentor

Great way to make meat " balls". Do you add any breadcrumbs?

Yep...made them like I make meatloaf...egg, breadcrumbs salt pepper herbs onion. The ground pork and sausage was a new twist and very good.

cyclinglady Grand Master

Yum and welcome back to your internet connection...can you send some Peka to Irish and her hubs...they are feeling a bit peaked ;)

Seriously, feel better Irish and hubs...glad you made it home, but time for the bug to leave.

Speaking of bugs...Coll's spider is cool....that crawly teeny thing last week was not...perhaps it is because we are dealing with our very first flea infestation since advantage was created....not sure if they advantage resistant or if poor Niki's compromised 15 year old body has something to do with it.

Regardless...we tried these nifty light with sticky paper traps that worked well as I didn't want to use chemicals with all my issues...but we may be adopting a little girlie this week and can't chance it as the shelter already has advantage resistant fleas there...ugh.

So the house except my igloo is being heavily bombed while I sit in the AC of our local library. Boys get home from school at 1pm and will open everything back up to hopefully air it out enough for me to return a few hours after that.

Dinner...In and Out...won't be able to properly clean the kitchen until my good hours early tomorrow morning.

I hate bugs! But do love the new spider Colleen :)

Flea comb works great on my dog. Just plop the fleas fast into a bowl and soapy water and watch them drown fast! Advantage works well, but we pick up fleas on the trail and the comb gets the few that jump on her.