This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

The What's For Dinner Tonight Chat

jess-gf

icelandgirl Proficient

Salisbury steak, mashed potatoes and gravy and green beans.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• IrishHeart

• Adalaide

• love2travel

• GottaSki

Top Posters In This Topic

• IrishHeart

IrishHeart 1,338 posts

• Adalaide

Adalaide 1,030 posts

• love2travel

love2travel 954 posts

• GottaSki

GottaSki 889 posts

Posted Images

LauraTX Rising Star

Salisbury steak, mashed potatoes and gravy and green beans.

I haven't had salisbury steak in a long time, this is gonna go on my to-make list!

Tonight is tacos and black beans.

SMRI Collaborator

Last time I had Salisbury Steak was when I was a kid and it was out of a Swanson's box in an aluminum tray LOL.

icelandgirl Proficient

It turned out so good. My husband took leftovers to work and said it was even better the 2nd day. Totally make it!

LauraTX Rising Star

Last time I had Salisbury Steak was when I was a kid and it was out of a Swanson's box in an aluminum tray LOL.

The frozen ones were my favorite meal as a kid... LOL

SMRI Collaborator

Finally got the "I can't believe it's gluten-free" cookbook.  Hubs made the peanut butter cookies in the recipe.  He made them with butter so they are pretty flat and gooy but at least they aren't like eating sand. They taste fine.  I have a flour mix that a friend put together for me (she has been gluten-free for several years).  I want him to use his regular recipe and see how it goes.  I have some hope that the Christmas baking will be ok :D.

gilligan Enthusiast

It's really hard to sub gluten-free flour blend for regular flour in recipes.  I think you're better off searching for gluten-free recipes.  I've found some very good ones (and some bad ones).

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

SMRI Collaborator

It's really hard to sub gluten-free flour blend for regular flour in recipes.  I think you're better off searching for gluten-free recipes.  I've found some very good ones (and some bad ones).

The recipe was basically the same, but called for butter vs using Crisco shortening like he normally does.  I am not a fan of cookies made with butter--just too gummy and greasy.  My friend that mixed the flours for me said she uses her normal recipes and adds Xantan Gum appropriately.  I've had her baking and they are fine.

notme Experienced

check me:  went to the butcher yesterday and they didn't have any seafood that we wanted to eat, (i hate farm raised, sorry) so we stopped at the new (HUGE) kroger - so, i am getting oysters and i notice the sign on the lobster tails says "7.99/lb"  and i was like 'hmmm.....  i wonder how many lobster tails are in a pound...?'  turns out, it's FIVE hahahahaaa the seafood guy told me it was my lucky day and i got 5 lobster tails for $8.10 :)  

(makes me feel a little bit better after having to pay $5 for a loaf of bread...  :rolleyes: )

so, tonight, it's lobstahhh....  cauliflower & roasted taters.  i might roast the cauliflower, too, and dress it in some vinegarette  :D

SMRI Collaborator

check me:  went to the butcher yesterday and they didn't have any seafood that we wanted to eat, (i hate farm raised, sorry) so we stopped at the new (HUGE) kroger - so, i am getting oysters and i notice the sign on the lobster tails says "7.99/lb"  and i was like 'hmmm.....  i wonder how many lobster tails are in a pound...?'  turns out, it's FIVE hahahahaaa the seafood guy told me it was my lucky day and i got 5 lobster tails for $8.10 :)  

(makes me feel a little bit better after having to pay $5 for a loaf of bread...  :rolleyes: )

so, tonight, it's lobstahhh....  cauliflower & roasted taters.  i might roast the cauliflower, too, and dress it in some vinegarette   :D

That is a deal!!!  Prime rib was on sale at my store yesterday.  I don't normally buy it this early but it was too good to pass up!!

icelandgirl Proficient

Swedish meatballs, noodles, corn bread and some sort of veggie.

SMRI Collaborator

going to try homemade pizza tonight.  I got some Bob's pizza crust mix and a new baking stone. :D

bartfull Rising Star

so, tonight, it's lobstahhh....  cauliflower & roasted taters.  i might roast the cauliflower, too, and dress it in some vinegarette   :D

And here I was going to brag about having wild caught cod again. I love cod, but now you've got me craving lobster! :D

Diem Rookie

New to all this, tonight acron squash and chicken. Looking at so many recipes can't wait to try them. Did my grocery shopping yesterday, can't believe how long it took me.

LauraTX Rising Star

New to all this, tonight acron squash and chicken. Looking at so many recipes can't wait to try them. Did my grocery shopping yesterday, can't believe how long it took me.

It will be less of a chore as time goes on.  Glad we can inspire you with recipes.... here is a gluten-free but totally not healthy one:

Last I googled bacon and hot dogs because I had both in my fridge, which is unusual, and got this: http://www.plainchicken.com/2013/06/cheesy-bacon-wrapped-hot-dogs.html

So I stuffed them with cheddar, wrapped in uncooked bacon... baked and and they were really good!  Had them on the canyon bakehouse hot dog buns, which are really good.  too bad I only bought one package when I did my bread order.  I also make banana nut muffins since I had some brown bananas that needed used up.  Those never last long, so good when they are warm!

Tonight I am going to make chicken stir fry.

SMRI Collaborator

It will be less of a chore as time goes on.  Glad we can inspire you with recipes.... here is a gluten-free but totally not healthy one:

Last I googled bacon and hot dogs because I had both in my fridge, which is unusual, and got this: http://www.plainchicken.com/2013/06/cheesy-bacon-wrapped-hot-dogs.html

So I stuffed them with cheddar, wrapped in uncooked bacon... baked and and they were really good!  Had them on the canyon bakehouse hot dog buns, which are really good.  too bad I only bought one package when I did my bread order.  I also make banana nut muffins since I had some brown bananas that needed used up.  Those never last long, so good when they are warm!

Tonight I am going to make chicken stir fry.

We used to make those hot dogs all the time when we were little.  I LOVED those (and forgot about them).  

LauraTX Rising Star

We used to make those hot dogs all the time when we were little.  I LOVED those (and forgot about them).  

Glad I could jog your memory!  I may make them again.... sooner than later, lol.

icelandgirl Proficient

Tonight we are having crock pot maple dijon chicken drumsticks and thighs, roasted potatoes and asparagus.

Diem Rookie

Bought a gluten-free cook book with tons of crock pot recipes. Asking for the Gluten free on a Shoestring books for Christmas. Tonight some pasta with tomato and basil. Laura, when and if I can do lactose again I will try the hotdogs.

bartfull Rising Star

Tonight I'll be having my usual light supper (after having a huge lunch). It'll be a grilled cheese on Canyon Bakehouse 7-grain. (I traded in two loaves of that horrible Mountain White.)

And I can now say that the very BEST grilled cheese sandwiches are made with Udi's multi-grain. I've tried the Schar and it's OK, and although I love the Canyon Bakehouse 7-grain at room temperature or toasted, the Udi's grills up nicer and tastes better with all that gooey cheese melted between the slices.

The cat will be disappointed because we won't be having cod tonight. Looks like she'll have to make do with cat food. :lol:

SMRI Collaborator

Had pancakes and bacon. I thought I had some of the Bisquick gluten-free mix but I didn't, but I found some Krusteaz in the cupboard.  They were good, on the sweetside, but so are their gluten mixes.  They are heavy and they don't bubble up like gluten ones so it's a new learning curve to cook them :D.

LauraTX Rising Star

I made cheeseburgers on Canyon bakehouse buns... the best ones out there by far, no toasting needed.  Carrots on the side.  I also made these italian almond cookies today, I don't remember where I first saw them, some gluten-free website or facebook thing had pointed out this contest winning recipe was gluten-free.  http://www.startribune.com/lifestyle/taste/recipes/284646961.html

They are really good.  If I make them again I will ease up on the almond extract.

icelandgirl Proficient

Tonight I'm making chicken soft tacos and cilantro lime rice.

Laura...I totally agree. Those buns are the best!

SMRI Collaborator

I had some leftover pancake mix that I put in the fridge overnight and made some for breakfast.  The mix held up overnight and the pancakes were actually a little lighter this morning.  Nice to know :D

Pork chops tonight--not sure what I'm going to serve with them, probably zucchini. 

Diem Rookie

I roasted some red peppers with onions and broccoli and grilled some nice sized portobello mushroom caps for dinner last night but somewhere along the way yesterday I must have eaten lactose or gluten because I wasn't able to eat dinner :( still working on feeling better today. Probably try some veggie stuffed chicken tonight and roasted potatoes, maybe I will be able to pick at it. :(