This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

The What's For Dinner Tonight Chat

jess-gf

icelandgirl Proficient

It's a beautiful snowy day here...going to roast a chicken for dinner...sounds nice and cozy. I will do some roasted veggies and a tossed salad with.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• IrishHeart

• Adalaide

• love2travel

• GottaSki

Top Posters In This Topic

• IrishHeart

IrishHeart 1,338 posts

• Adalaide

Adalaide 1,030 posts

• love2travel

love2travel 954 posts

• GottaSki

GottaSki 889 posts

Posted Images

bartfull Rising Star

Progresso Rich and Hearty New England Clam Chowder with a grilled cheese sandwich.

MycasMommy Enthusiast

It's a beautiful snowy day here...going to roast a chicken for dinner...sounds nice and cozy. I will do some roasted veggies and a tossed salad with.

oh i wish we had snow!

We are having double chicken soup in the crock pot with stars (pasta) for the non gluten-free people to spoon into their own bowls if they wish.

kareng Grand Master

We are having our version of grilled cheese with tomato soup (Hubs doesn't like regular tomato soup :( )    Veggie minestrone soup with a grilled moz and fresh basil on an Italian herb bread fro the local gluten-free bakery.

icelandgirl Proficient

oh i wish we had snow!

We are having double chicken soup in the crock pot with stars (pasta) for the non gluten-free people to spoon into their own bowls if they wish.

oh i wish we had snow!

It really is a winter wonderland right now. While I was drinking coffee I just sat and watched it...looks magical.
mommida Enthusiast

I just got the America's Test Kitchen How Can It Be Gluten Free Cookbook.  It has recipe's calling for the use of Powdered psyllium husk.  Does anyone have experience with using these recipes?  A strong preference for particular brand of psyllium husk?  The cookbook has Now brand pictured.

The cookbook has it's own flour blend recipe, but seems to strongly use Bob's Red Mill flour blend with the warning about bean flour taste, and pictures this brand throughout the ingredients area.  I have to admit I hate bean flour substitutions, and I am really turned off about some of the other product reviews in the book. 

I am almost tempted to return the book, but I do want to see the difference of trying psyllium husk for pizza dough.  Just want to know what kind of effect does this have on the gut when psyllium husk is used in laxative type products?

icelandgirl Proficient

I just got the America's Test Kitchen How Can It Be Gluten Free Cookbook.  It has recipe's calling for the use of Powdered psyllium husk.  Does anyone have experience with using these recipes?  A strong preference for particular brand of psyllium husk?  The cookbook has Now brand pictured.

The cookbook has it's own flour blend recipe, but seems to strongly use Bob's Red Mill flour blend with the warning about bean flour taste, and pictures this brand throughout the ingredients area.  I have to admit I hate bean flour substitutions, and I am really turned off about some of the other product reviews in the book. 

I am almost tempted to return the book, but I do want to see the difference of trying psyllium husk for pizza dough.  Just want to know what kind of effect does this have on the gut when psyllium husk is used in laxative type products?

Hi! I received this as a birthday present. So far I've only made the pancakes...which were great. I used King Arthur AP for that. I do not like the taste of Bob's and I've been intimidated by the psyllium husk powder as well so I figured I'd chime in.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

mommida Enthusiast

It makes sense that psyllium can create the binding texture, but the possible gut issues!!?  Some one on the board made the dinner rolls and raved about them and the cookbook. 

The ripping on the different products wasn't quite fair, some breads without other allergen ingredients are needed for people.  Comparing a dairy free, egg free bread to other breads is going to lack some of the taste and texture.  Companies are always always improving too.

icelandgirl Proficient

I was worried about the gut issues as well. I saw a bread in there that looked great until I saw that it called for oat flour...well I can't do that unless I want to be in pain...so, anyway...The pancakes were good. If you make anything from the book, please report back!

mommida Enthusiast

I made the stove top mac n cheese with the Mueller's gluten free elbow noodles and everyone loved it.  (even a gluten eater teen age boy!)

LauraTX Rising Star

It makes sense that psyllium can create the binding texture, but the possible gut issues!!?  Some one on the board made the dinner rolls and raved about them and the cookbook. 

The ripping on the different products wasn't quite fair, some breads without other allergen ingredients are needed for people.  Comparing a dairy free, egg free bread to other breads is going to lack some of the taste and texture.  Companies are always always improving too.

Ripping on people and giving strong opinions is kind of the America's Test Kitchen M.O.  They do all kinds of cooking, have a TV show, radio show, etc.  They are very objective and don't take sponsored opinions (they also run cooks illustrated magazine). A lot of times their advice is really good, but I don't always agree with it.  Considering they wrote the book from a gluten-free standpoint and not a multi-allergen free standpoint, it didn't bother me to see the reviews.  But I can see that being annoying if someone has to avoid more than one thing.  The constant thing with them is they test their recipes many more times than the average cookbook, so if you make a recipe like they say, you can expect exact results.

Psyllium is a source of soluble dietary fiber.  It isn't uncommon for it to be included in things other than fiber supplements, and it takes a lot to make things work, so unless you are sensitive to high fiber foods it shouldn't cause any discomfort.

They also have recipe amounts for the King Arthur Flour Blend, so if you don't like the Bobs red mill bean flour, you can use the KAF one or make your own blend per their recipe, which they recommend the most.

Edited to add:  Also, 4.5 teaspoons of psyllium husk powder in two pizza crusts isn't going to get you near a typical used dose of psyllium as a bulk former and fiber supplement.  

kareng Grand Master

America's Test Kitchen tests many things and gives their opinions of good and bad - it's not just gluten-free flour mixes or products. They do that with blenders, knives, ketchup, etc. They are just telling us which products, of the ones they tested, work the best or aren't as good. They are like Consumer Reports for recipes and cooking.

LauraTX Rising Star

Last night I made an oven roasted pork tenderloin with corn and carrots on the side.

This weekend we went to Saltgrass Steakhouse.  I had heard from a few people here that they were very good and safe.  Overall, I felt the most safe there out of most restaurants, but half the things on the gluten-free menu they would not serve to me as Celiac.  Fries were in a shared fryer, which I have come to expect so that didn't phase me.  I ordered a filet with green beans and baked potato soup.  The waitress came back out and said the soup is not totally gluten-free, so I could pick any other side.  So I said I would take a salad with ranch (listed as gluten-free on the menu) and I was told the only dressing for the salad that was gluten-free was a balsamic vinaigrette.  I can't do vinegary salad dressings on an empty stomach so I got a baked sweet potato and asked for it to be whole and dry.  It came out first, had butter on it, no biggie but I had to check about it.  Steak was overdone, green beans were oddly charred on the outside and pretty much not cooked on the inside.  

So basically I paid 40 dollars just for my part of a subpar dinner, it kind of felt like a bait and switch... lol.   Had they had a menu that only listed Celiac safe items, maybe I would have been more satisfied with what I ended up getting.  I mean, it is good to have a safe place I can eat at, but I am a little tired of having to lower my standards.   I think they left the seasoning(listed on menu as gluten-free) off my steak, too.  Maybe I just got a bad combo that day of crappily cooked food and an outdated menu.   Normally I would have sent an overcooked steak back, but I felt there had already been too much trouble at that point and I didn't want to go through the trouble.

I have this same feeling about the other place in this area I feel the most safe eating at.  There is a family owned restaurant that is half Celiacs, so when I go there and order gluten-free I have 100% confidence in it.  But their food is just not that great.

Okay, I will get off my foodie soapbox now, lol.

MycasMommy Enthusiast

It is a leftovers kind of day here.  I defrosted the pork roast and made the sandwiches layered with apple chutney and extra sharp white cheddar for lunch and tonight we will have the cheaters lasagna I froze from the other day. My gluten people can go heat up a tray of pre frozen garlic bread to go with. HA! I dont even cook their gluten anymore mouhahahhahah If they want it they have to work for it.

notme Experienced

Also, 4.5 teaspoons of psyllium husk powder in two pizza crusts isn't going to get you near a typical used dose of psyllium as a bulk former and fiber supplement.  

right - the amount of it in the recipe(s) is probably not enough to even notice - it is more for the texture when combined with other ingredients.  i was resistant to the psyllium husk dealio, too - nicole hunn uses it alot in her cookbook (gluten free on a shoestring) and i was all like:  YUCK!  but, i am going to try it with the atk book - too many of my gluten-free buddies (heyyyyyy :) ) have been having amazing results with these recipes.  (although it was a little un-nerving to find this ingredient over with the laxatives LOLZ )

icelandgirl Proficient

Tonight I'm making chicken sandwiches and garlic parmesan fries. Yum!

LauraTX Rising Star

Tonight we were out shopping so we stopped at In N Out.... I brought my own bun.  Cracks my husband up when I pull it out of my purse.  

MycasMommy Enthusiast

Tonight we were out shopping so we stopped at In N Out.... I brought my own bun.  Cracks my husband up when I pull it out of my purse.  

haha! That is Awesome!  I often think of doing just that, but I never do! You rock! :D

notme Experienced

tonight is lef d'ouvres ;)  chicken parm, spaghetti & salad.  i will be putting shoes on it as i have a dinner meeting tonight.  i got these containers from the mart of wal that have 3 compartments and seal all the way to the top so that the compartments don't get all mixed together if they get tipped over or whatnot, so i can put bread right into it and not worry about it being a soggy, saucy mess..  also, a salad container that has a small container for dressing.   all fits in my snack back pack, good to go :)

kareng Grand Master

Last night - chicken tortilla soup

Tonight - smashed tomato and arugula sauce on pasta

LauraTX Rising Star

Tonight I am making sweet potato and black bean tacos.  Tomorrow I will be tired from my IVIG, so I bought one of those Udi's lasagnas.  The big sized one. Hopefully it is good... hard to mess up lasagna.  I tried their penne with cheese sauce- another one of their new frozen dinners, and it was lacking.  Not bad, but not worth the price over the Annies easy mac cup things.

I am trying a new thing to see if my IVIG infusion will make me less sick... do the infusion very slowly over eight hours.  Not excited to sit there all day but if it improves my quality of life I will go for the tradeoff.  Going to pack myself lots of food to bring with.  

MycasMommy Enthusiast

I am going to whip up some grain free tortillas and home made enchilada verde tomatillo sauce tonight, and tomorrow I will make some Enchiladas Verde covered in Monteray Jack... ooo I cant wait!

Tonight is, sadly, leftovers/clean out the fridge night. I am afraid to look in there!! SOMEBODY SAVE ME! :blink:

notme Experienced

Tonight I am making sweet potato and black bean tacos.  Tomorrow I will be tired from my IVIG, so I bought one of those Udi's lasagnas.  The big sized one. Hopefully it is good... hard to mess up lasagna.  I tried their penne with cheese sauce- another one of their new frozen dinners, and it was lacking.  Not bad, but not worth the price over the Annies easy mac cup things.

I am trying a new thing to see if my IVIG infusion will make me less sick... do the infusion very slowly over eight hours.  Not excited to sit there all day but if it improves my quality of life I will go for the tradeoff.  Going to pack myself lots of food to bring with.  

udi's is pretty good - they make good baguettes if you can find them.  i was overjoyed to find some of their breakfast wraps in the freezer section so i tried one for breakfast this morning.  they were ok, but pretty bland.  the tortilla wrap itself was good :)  i think i'll just find the wraps make up a bunch and freeze them myself.  

i hope your plan works, laura!  feel better quick(er)  :)

tonight is leftovers from saturday:  pan seared scallop and mushroom crepes with pernod cream reduction.  steamed broccoli.  

last night we had super food for the stupid bowl...  (NA chos GRande yummm)

icelandgirl Proficient

Everyone in my house has caught whatever nasty cough, cold, fever virus is going around. Ugh! Decided to make some soup for dinner...mini meatball and veggie...With some corn bread to go with. Hopefully some comforting, nourishing food will help us to start getting better.

MycasMommy Enthusiast

Everyone in my house has caught whatever nasty cough, cold, fever virus is going around. Ugh! Decided to make some soup for dinner...mini meatball and veggie...With some corn bread to go with. Hopefully some comforting, nourishing food will help us to start getting better.

Oh no!!  I hope every one gets a lot of rest and gatorade (or its equivalent) too. *hugs*!! GET BETTER ICELAND STRONGHOLD!!!

We are doing soup tonight too.  Beef Nacho Soup with a side plate of slice avocados, tomatoes, and black olives.  I am thinking about trying to make the grain free corn bread recipe, as I havent tried it yet.  meh... its to early to know if I have that much energy.