This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

The What's For Dinner Tonight Chat

jess-gf

MycasMommy Enthusiast

Oh  This is not so pretty. haha But thanks!  I just move the dinner leftovers into the lunch category for the next day and do the same as you Laura. If there is extra I save it in the freezer.  Either I am going to need to take it to a long day of work for a meal OR they will collect and eventually there will be a TV dinner (home made edition) happen and that will be great too!!!

Oj, you should see the cleaning schedule I have going. bahahahha They tease me good naturedly about my level of planning but they (at least the boyfriend) also publicly will brag how streamlined and good he has it at home.

I even have time set aside on Sundays for "scheduling & planning"

Oh Zebra!!  I saw you made pickled onions!!!  did they turn out the best thing ever or??? There are a bunch of fun variations to try too~!  I clean out our freezer, fridge, and pantry on the 27th of every month. I remove EVERYTHING from all 3, clean the units/cabinets, then well.. put whatever is left that did not find its way to the trash back in, nice and neatly.  Then I go do the same to all the cabinets that hold dishes/pots&pans/bakeware etc.  I have a slight... cleaning sickness, no? :D Hmm The only food I have ordered online so far is the Tinkyada Giant shells.  I guess I could add a bit more pre made stuff back into my diet now that I am not as sick as I used to be... I will let the thought simmer!

Here are the links to the templates I use if anyone Likes.

There is a weekly and fortnight version (a fortnight is 2 weeks). You have to download it and then to get it to print out on a full page correctly, you have to turn it in acrobat too. Under "view" i think?  something on the top bar.

http://picklebums.com/2011/03/14/more-menu-plans/

and here is a monthly one.  You and to do the same thing with it about turning to print the full sized page.

http://picklebums.com/?s=monthly+menu

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• IrishHeart

• Adalaide

• love2travel

• GottaSki

Top Posters In This Topic

• IrishHeart

IrishHeart 1,338 posts

• Adalaide

Adalaide 1,030 posts

• love2travel

love2travel 954 posts

• GottaSki

GottaSki 889 posts

Posted Images

LauraTX Rising Star

Made nachos last night.  I like to cook up taco meat in batches and freeze for later, makes tired days a breeze.  That on top of Bush's refried beans on top of tortilla chips, with a little cheese on top. Plus whatever else floats your boat.  Microwave for 30 seconds and then 20 seconds at a time until cheese is melted.  Add something like guac instead of cheese if you can't have dairy- you won't miss it.  Anything cold don't put on until after you microwave. 

Zebra007 Contributor

MM, actually it wasnt pickeled onions, it was red onions, I wrote it wrong! and yes they are delightfull thank you.

I think I could do with another freezer though, now that I can see the limited space I have    

Anyway the stuff I get online from Amazon is things like Barella Pasta, which is very good, "Let's Do Organic Creamed Coconut, 7-Ounce Boxes"  a pack of 6 and quite honestly they are amazing, my curries are alway good, but they have risen to a whole new level using this, and of course I am sure you know they are not in tins so no risk of BPA contamination. 

Patak's Lime Relish Medium, 10-Ounce (Pack of 6) if you have never tried Pataks pickles then you are in for a treat! and only $24 for 6 jars, just the smell of these pickles makes my mouth water, they are extrodinary, really! and the beauty is that you can have these with cold meats, anything really.  

I am  waiting for  Thai Kitchen Sweet Red Chili Dipping Sauce, $17 for six bottles, which I think is a good deal, I wanted this sweet chili because sometimes I like to make my own fishcakes and sweet chili is the best with that, so I hope they dont dissapoint.

LT..I have never made nachos, ever! but I do like Bush's beans, so maybe I should give it a go..
Zebra007 Contributor
I meant to say what I am having for dinner this evening...Okay its soup, but not normal soup!  No, this is an extrodinary soup made by my Costa Rican friend, and quite honestly he could sell this soup if he so wished!!  He likes to make it with meat on the bone, and uses wonderful vegeatables like Yucca, which melts in the mouth, chopped sweetcorn, and whatever other local vegeatables takes his fancy, and then we tend to spoon in some nice rice...and then I usually fall into a coma on the settee Ha ha!  

For dessert I am having some home made chocolate and walnut ice cream with chocolate chip! 

Have a nice Easter.
  • 2 weeks later...
MycasMommy Enthusiast

Well.. My little schedule went by the wayside last week with the new job training and 2 hour commute each way... plus the SURPRISE "i'm Prego!~" news...

and so it begins!

TONIGHT we will have The Teriyaki Chicken and Warm Ginger Carrot Slaw

I, thankfully, made the teriyaki sauce from coconut aminos last week and it has been happily chilling away until tonight, in the fridge.  PHEW!

OK.. I want Gatorade! :D

cyclinglady Grand Master

Still thinking about dinner.  For a lazy Sunday lunch we made nachos in the oven!  So easy.  Used frozen defrosted shredded chicken (thanks, Costco) over refried beans, gluten-free chips, cheese and baked until hot and melted.  Added salsa, quacamole, sour cream and green chili's.  Yum!  

I think I will finish with another "fast food" dinner.  Lettuce-wrapped cheeseburgers and some fries.  I want some roasted asparagus too and I think that goes with anything!  Nah, I'm going to make some artichokes, instead.  Better get going!  

LauraTX Rising Star

Tonight is going to be grilled pork chops, baked beans, and sweet potatoes for dinner.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Gladys Rabbit Newbie

My first post, nice to meet you all!

In my crock pot I have some bigos simmering.  This is Polish hunters stew and the ingredients are:

Polish sausage

pork (a cut up pork chop)

a little bacon

cabbage

onions

an apple

a big jar of saurkraut

garlic

bay leaf and pepper corns.

It smells heavenly!

Edited by Gladys Rabbit
LauraTX Rising Star

That stew sounds delicious!

Last night I made spaghetti for dinner, with salad on the side.  Used those farmrich meatballs you find in the frozen section.  Tonight I will be tired after my immune infusion so a Freshcetta gluten-free pizza it shall be! :)

Zebra007 Contributor

GR..I like the sound of your stew.  Do you actually put the sauerkraut in the stew, and if so how much?  How long do you cook it for?

Gladys Rabbit Newbie

GR..I like the sound of your stew.  Do you actually put the sauerkraut in the stew, and if so how much?  How long do you cook it for?

Yes Zebra,  the saurkraut goes in the pot with everything else.  I saute the meaty items first and then put everything in the slow cooker til it's done.  "Done" is to taste, a few hours at least.  I used a big jar of kraut, plus a few cups of sliced cabbage to go with half a polish sausage, a few strips of bacon and one fat pork chop.

(I used some sauerkraut that says it doesn't contain vinegar.  Still plenty sour!)

MycasMommy Enthusiast

Tonight (or tomorrow really but I have to prep tonight so I can manage) I am making Gyro salad.  Heavy on the meat AND veggies... and a side of Tzatziki dressing. 

Zebra007 Contributor

Yes Zebra,  the saurkraut goes in the pot with everything else.  I saute the meaty items first and then put everything in the slow cooker til it's done.  "Done" is to taste, a few hours at least.  I used a big jar of kraut, plus a few cups of sliced cabbage to go with half a polish sausage, a few strips of bacon and one fat pork chop.

(I used some sauerkraut that says it doesn't contain vinegar.  Still plenty sour!)

Thanks!

LauraTX Rising Star

Last night we had grilled chicken, baked sweet potatoes, and green beans.  Tonight I am making red beans and rice and will have some carrots on the side.

LauraTX Rising Star

Wednesday was a sick day so I pulled some pulled pork out of the freezer and made that with green beans and baby carrots on the side.  So all I did was boil veggies and throw meat in the microwave.  

Pulled Pork in the crock pot:

Just put a pork roast in the crock pot with some BBQ sauce and unsweetened applesauce, 8 hours later on low have beautiful pulled pork that falls apart when you pick it up.  Season to taste.  Its a nice dish for very little effort and I freeze a lot of leftovers.  I get the leaner pork ribeye roast, it is a more reasonable 2-3 pounds for the two of us and less fat than a pork butt(which is actually their shoulder, not their hiney).  Pork tenderloin will work for it, too, but definitely needs liquid or it'll dry out.  Would work with a beef roast as well.

Last night I did another easy dinner of Bushs Baked beans with applegate hot dogs cut up into them.  Carrots on the side.  Really tasty and another easy meal for when I don't feel up to cooking.   

Tonight will be grilled pork chops, peas, and roasted mini white potatoes.  Today was a little crazy, had to sit in the bathtub with my angry cat as a tornado warning was going off.  My work I do from home requires power, phone, and internet, and since the power was flickering off and on for a while after had to start my weekend early.  No complaints there.  Just glad I did take shelter because the next town over got some bad damage.  Texas springtime, one minute it is all nice and the next minute it is violent and then nice again.

Tomorrow for dinner, my family is having a get together and they are making fajitas.  I am going to let my husband have at it with the flour tortillas, and I am bringing a frozen dinner so I don't even have to mess with it.  While the family member hosting could probably cook for me OK, would rather just not mess with it and enjoy the company.

kareng Grand Master

Tomorrow for dinner, my family is having a get together and they are making fajitas.  I am going to let my husband have at it with the flour tortillas, and I am bringing a frozen dinner so I don't even have to mess with it.  While the family member hosting could probably cook for me OK, would rather just not mess with it and enjoy the company.

• 3 weeks later...
kareng Grand Master

trying to get this topic moving again.  I am getting bored with my old standards.  Hoping for some ideas.

Last night we had a pork stir fry.  I take ground pork (which is low fat and cheaper than chicken or beef right now).  I mix in a bunch of Chinese Five Spice powder, then cook it and remove it from the pan.  Then I stir fry whatever veggies I have.  I like to throw in some pineapple and any juice.  I had some asparagus in the freezer, so I threw that in at the end on to steam a bit.  I use some toasted sesame oil, Teryaki sauce, ginger, garlic, maybe a pinch of cayenne....  I made rice last night but sometimes I shred up some cabbage and throw it in at the end and skip the rice.

notme Experienced

i am throwing sauerkraut and brats in the crock pot tonight.  went away for the weekend and got glutened somewhere........  mine is a delayed reaction, so at least it didn't ruin the weekend.  (although, i was suspicious when i started having balance issues)  rahhh....  i have a ton of stuff to do and all i want to do is go to bed.   :(  

icelandgirl Proficient

Something got me too...but I can't for the life of me figure out what. So...yesterday I prepared my standard I feel awful but need some nutrition meal...chicken cooked in a crock pot in broth, boiled potatoes and steamed carrots. Will be eating that until the tummy settles. So much to do here too...we have less than 2 weeks left of school and there's is a lot of end of the year stuff going on plus 2 kids in sports. I just want to sleep, but I'm dragging myself through it.

icelandgirl Proficient

Tonight I'm making grilled honey lime chicken, baked parmesan squash and something with rice or potatoes that I still need to decide.

LauraTX Rising Star

What have I been making lately?  Hmm a few weeks ago I made a big batch of Italian Wedding Soup.  Something I had access to the genuine version as a kid and I thought hey, why not make it.  I used this recipe and used pork and beef for the meatballs, the good kind of cheeses cause that really stands out in this soup, gluten-free stock for the boullion cubes, Udi's bread for the crumbs, and instead of serving it over pasta I served it over cooked quinoa.  I froze about 6 servings after eating on it for two days so I will be having it occasionally until it runs out.  

I have been having reactions to my IVIG (immunodeficiency med) infusions again lately, so there are days where I can't put a lot of effort into meals.  Freezing stuff ahead of time really helps, and lately one of my stand by meals has been hot dogs cut up and heated with a can of bush's baked beans for home made beanie weenie, with some husband approved veggie on the side.  LOL.  It really is a nice way to eat hot dogs and not buy expensive gluten-free buns.

icelandgirl Proficient

Chilly, rainy day here. I'm making chicken enchilada soup and corn bread.

Gladys Rabbit Newbie

Fried eggs on salad w/  lemon sauce!

gilligan Enthusiast

Fried egg sandwiches, coconut curry soup, and cantaloupe

• 3 weeks later...
nonnarae Rookie

teriyaki chicken and white rice. . I added extra pineapple juice and use 5 spice on the chicken when I cook. My family went crazy over this meal. I had to make it twice this week since there wasn't enough the first time. lol 

http://glutenfreecooking.about.com/od/saucesandmarinades/r/TeriakiSauce.htm

Tonight is just lime/herb butter tilapia with broccoli and cheese rice and sangria!