This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

The What's For Dinner Tonight Chat

jess-gf

jess-gf Explorer

I thought it might be fun if we had a thread where we shared what we're cooking up for dinner:) I am not an experienced cook so coming up with gluten free menus for me and my boyfriend feels like a challenge. It's also weird since I only started eating meat since my diagnosis, so I have 0 experience preparing meat.

Tonight I'm going to try that Tinkyada spiral pasta with some gluten-free pasta sauce and gluten-free meatballs I got from TJ's.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• IrishHeart

• Adalaide

• love2travel

• GottaSki

Top Posters In This Topic

• IrishHeart

IrishHeart 1,338 posts

• Adalaide

Adalaide 1,030 posts

• love2travel

love2travel 954 posts

• GottaSki

GottaSki 889 posts

Posted Images

mbrookes Community Regular

I'm making Hot Brown Sandwhiches with turkey left over from T'giving:

gluten-free toast topped with turkey, tomato, and cheese sauce made with gluten-free flour, milk and parmesan cheese. Broil until speckled. Top that with two bacon strips (cooked crisp)

With that I'm having an old time fruit salad. (Canned pineapple on lettuce topped with mayo and grated yellow cheese.

I like your idea of meal reports. It will give us all new menu ideas.

sa1937 Community Regular

I'm having Tinkyada brown rice spaghetti-style pasta with doctored-up ready-made spaghetti sauce that I've had stashed in my freezer in single serving sizes. Yum! This time I'm trying the quick cook method for the pasta (cook 1 to 2 min., cover and let sit for 20 min. before serving). As you can tell, I'm being lazy today. biggrin.gif

jerseyangel Proficient

We were out most of the day so I pulled out some pot roast and gravy I had in the freezer from a couple weeks ago. I made mashed potatoes and brussels sprouts to go with it.

I make pot roast by browning the meat on all sides for about 5 minutes per side in a little olive oil. I add a couple chopped onions, a few cloves of peeled garlic, a cup of water and a little sea salt. Cover and cook on low (300 degrees) for 5 hours. Thicken juices with cornstarch to make gravy.

Skylark Collaborator

I'm going to try this easy-looking chicken cacciatore recipe. I'll probably have it with brown rice and some chard or spinach.

http://www.dphowell.com/2010/11/27/chicken-cacciatore/

kareng Grand Master

We are grilling steaks that I marinate in worchesshire (?) sauce , garlic and.black pepper. Red potatoes cut in little squares, tossed with olive oil and Italian seasoning, put in a foil packet and grilled. Regular salad. Hub's millionth birthday so I will make a BC brownie mix with Kraft Carmel bits, hot from the oven, vanilla ice cream and Carmel sauce.

Tomorrow. It's chili with ground turkey breast in case we haven't had enough turkey.

sb2178 Enthusiast

Salmon patty (one can salmon, chopped, bones mashed, mixed with 1 egg, 1 jar marinated artichokes chopped, couple of spoons of corn flour, and normally with mustard but I forgot it)

Steamed cabbage

Sweet potatoes with olive oil and lemon juice

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

missy'smom Collaborator

Good luck to you with the meat! I had to train myself to eat meat after my diabetes DX but my body thanks me for it :)

Tonight I had bunless beef burger patties with saurkraut, sauteed red onions and steamed broccoli and carrots. Was a lazy dinner night.

jess-gf Explorer

I'm going to try this easy-looking chicken cacciatore recipe. I'll probably have it with brown rice and some chard or spinach.

You're a fan of Big Red Kitty? :o

jerseyangel Proficient

That looks really good!

freeatlast Collaborator

We had lamb, ground chuck, and Italian sausage in pasta sauce over quinoa spaghetti noodles with caraway soda bread.

WW340 Rookie

Oven roasted pot roast with carrots, onions, potatoes. I put lipton onion soup in the water, and made gravy with potato starch. I made a brussel sprouts casserole with dried cranberries and almond slivers.

Jestgar Rising Star

Potato chips and salsa. (Hey! I was out all day!)

kareng Grand Master

Oven roasted pot roast with carrots, onions, potatoes. I put lipton onion soup in the water, and made gravy with potato starch. I made a brussel sprouts casserole with dried cranberries and almond slivers.

Watch out for the Lipton onion soup! I have seen on here that the newer versions seem to have gluten in the ingredients.

Maggie Mermaid Apprentice

We had green salad with feta cheese and dressed with plain lemon juice; homemade lentil soup (onions, carrots, brown lentils, chicken stock, too much pepper according to hubby); Trader Joe's gluten-free mac & cheese; steamed carrots, cauliflower, & zucchini; and homemade tapioca pudding made with honey instead of sugar.

Judy3 Contributor

I sauteed onions and mushrooms in olive oil, added some diced turkey breast and some turkey stock(leftovers from TG)thickened the juice with corn starch and then added some fresh spinach at the end. Served over brown rice spaghetti with a dash of grated parmesan cheese. Yum!! The pasta was good too not too mushy like I've heard it can be.(my first try with the pasta) It actually was wonderful. Lundgren's brand gluten free brown rice spaghetti.

Keela Newbie

I skipped real food and went straight for dessert! Brownie in a mug!!!

4tbsp gluten free flour

4 tbsp sugar ( brown sugar makes it more chewy but you can use either)

2 tbsp cocoa

2tbsp oil

2 1/2 tbsp water

Splash vanilla

Tiny pinch baking soda and salt

Handful gluten-free chocolate chips

Mix in coffee mug

Microwave on high for 1 min.

Top with ice-cream for a wonderful supper :P

Skylark Collaborator

You're a fan of Big Red Kitty? :o

You know of BRK? B) Been reading his blog for years, as much for the wonderful Airman Howell stories as anything else. He's a great writer and that's his personal blog.

naiiad Apprentice

I had a seafood salad for dinner - I eat this pretty much ever night.

Muscles sauteed in gluten-free soy sauce, ginger, sugar, lemon juice, olive oil, coconut milk, mint leaves, thrown on top of a fresh salad with carrots, broccoli, lettuce, cucumber, and a tablespoon of 1 parts homemade mayonnaise 1 parts plain yogurt as dressing. So good!

Also had a homemade ayraan to drink (salty yogurt drink)

naiiad Apprentice

I skipped real food and went straight for dessert! Brownie in a mug!!!

4tbsp gluten free flour

4 tbsp sugar ( brown sugar makes it more chewy but you can use either)

2 tbsp cocoa

2tbsp oil

2 1/2 tbsp water

Splash vanilla

Tiny pinch baking soda and salt

Handful gluten-free chocolate chips

Mix in coffee mug

Microwave on high for 1 min.

Top with ice-cream for a wonderful supper :P

OMG this is sheer brilliance! I'm definitely trying this.

CeliacMom2008 Enthusiast

Homemade pizza! Family had had enough of the leftovers! We did have leftover fresh veggies though...and we polished off the leftover pies as well...

jess-gf Explorer

You know of BRK? B) Been reading his blog for years, as much for the wonderful Airman Howell stories as anything else. He's a great writer and that's his personal blog.

Yup, I've been a fan of his for a while now - my boyfriend introduced me to his original blog a few years ago. :)

jess-gf Explorer

Well the Tinkyada pasta was a hit! It tasted really good and my bf said it tasted just like regular pasta. Yay! Gluten-Free chicken meatballs from TJ's was good also. I improv'd a dessert as well - chopped up two green apples, put them in 2 ramekins, topped with cinnamon, b.sugar, and a pad of butter. Put them in my toaster oven at 350 while the pasta was cooking and left them going while we ate, then took them out when we wanted them. Nice lazy dessert :P

GlutenFreeManna Rising Star

I made turkey soupfrom all the left over Thanksgiving turkey and biscuits from gluten free bisquick. The soup I have made before--it was super yum and perfect for a cold day. The biscuits I made for the first time. They were the best gluten-free biscuits I have made but I probably won't make them again. They had an eggy taste (I've never put egg in regular biscuits before) and the texture was a little gritty from the rice flour. I'll keep looking for the perfect gluten-free biscuit recipe.

Juliebove Rising Star

We were out all day too. Early lunch at Olive Garden for SIL's birthday. They all had cake and ice cream. Daughter had some gluten-free cookies and ice cream. I tried a bit of a cookie. Tasted oddly burnt to me. I can't remember the brand but I think I read here that they are sold at Starbucks. I've just never seen them at Starbucks.

After that we went to Target where the three of us (husband is home) shared part of a bag of popcorn (there is still some left) and an order of nachos. So we didn't want a big dinner.

Daughter and I got salad bar from the grocery store and then I made toasted cheese sandwiches, wrapping them in Release foil so I didn't get our gluten on her sandwich. I made them by making toast in the toaster, slathering both sides of the bread with melted butter, putting American cheese in the sandwich and then baking for 10 minutes which was just enough time to melt the cheese.