This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Need Help Finding A gluten-free Milk Substitute

FooGirlsMom

FooGirlsMom Rookie

Hi,

Hoping you guys can help me out here!

So this morning I discovered Rice Dream is processed with barley, leaving it at 20ppm! I need another milk alternative and for some reason the Silk Almond milk gives me the big D. It might be that Silk is a major mfr of soy products and I've discovered soy gives me D too.

So help! I live in the western part of the US.

I'd like to try a rice or almond product. I seem to tolerate "So Delicious" coconut milk but it's 40 miles away at the Whole Foods store. It has to be stored in the 'fridge so that's only going to be a once a month purchase. I need a suggestion or two or three to try for daily use.

Thx guys

FooGirlsMom

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

jerseyangel Proficient

I know that many larger grocery stores here in the east have Pacific Foods Almond and Rice Milks. I've used them and they're very good.

Since the cartons are shelf stable until opened, you could also stock up on them when you do go to Whole Foods.

cassP Contributor

i like almond milk and hemp milk :P

i think my almond milk is that pacific brand... and the hemp is teff something? both vanilla flavored & gluten-free

Takala Enthusiast

If you are just wanting something to use in coffee or tea, you can get canned coconut milk. The stuff is so intense, one can lasts me about a week. I pour it into another ceramic or glass container and store it in the refrigerator after I open it, spooning it out as needed. You can also blend a little of it into your cup with other gluten-free milk substitutes to give your cup of coffee or tea a bit more "creaminess."

Some of the more interesting things you can do with canned coconut milk is to cook with it, such as for pumpkin pudding or pie for holiday meals, or for Thai style soups mixed into chicken broth with some lime juice (it won't curdle), or for some curry sauces.

emaegf Newbie

So Delicious has shelf stable Coconut Milk Open Original Shared Link

It comes in Sweetened, Unsweetened and Vanilla. You can always ask your local market to get you some even the Whole Foods should have it when you go next trip.

tarnalberry Community Regular

When I can't get out to Whole Foods for the SoDelicious stuff, I get almond milk at Safeway. (I happen to use Blue Diamond Almond Breeze. Yummy stuff.)

CandyLady Newbie

You can buy So Delicious in the shelf-stable aseptic cartons online at Open Original Shared Link

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

wheeleezdryver Community Regular

there are recipes online for homemade rice milk.

Ginsou Explorer

Hi,

Hoping you guys can help me out here!

So this morning I discovered Rice Dream is processed with barley, leaving it at 20ppm! I need another milk alternative and for some reason the Silk Almond milk gives me the big D. It might be that Silk is a major mfr of soy products and I've discovered soy gives me D too.

So help! I live in the western part of the US.

I'd like to try a rice or almond product. I seem to tolerate "So Delicious" coconut milk but it's 40 miles away at the Whole Foods store. It has to be stored in the 'fridge so that's only going to be a once a month purchase. I need a suggestion or two or three to try for daily use.

Thx guys

FooGirlsMom

Yep....Rice Dream bothers me also....I sometimes buy So Delicious shelf stable Coconut Milk, but because I have so many food allergies, I find Vance's DariFree to be more economical for me in the long run. I order Vance's online, and it lasts me for a long, long time. I especially like to have hot cocoa during the winter months. Better Than Milk rice beverage mix also works for me......it has a slight coconut flavor to it. Be sure to read the ingredients on these products if you order online....I also have serious soy problems, and one of these products has some soy in it....forgot which one at the moment.

Archived