This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Post-celiac And Sports

Carriefaith

Carriefaith Enthusiast

Before I got really sick with celiac, I was a very active person with tons of energy. Back in the day I used to be in track and field, hockey, ringette, rugby, soccer, and I used to play a lot of other sports just for fun. Now after being diagnosed, I just play soccer and I'm not the same as I used to be... Last year was a lot tougher for me since I had just been diagnosed. This year I feel tons better than last year, which is great! But I'm still not the same as I used to be. I don't believe I am "out of shape" because I play soccer 2x a week and do other activities such as running, walking, vollyball, badminton, ect. When I'm playing soccer I get tired very quickly and sometimes feel weak. It's very frustrating! Has anyone else noticed a decline in athletic ability after celiac. Does anyone have any suggestions that may help? Maybe you've experienced this and got over it? *Just to add, I eat lots of veggies, fruits, rice, gluten-free grains, and fish. I do eat beef, chicken and turkey too, but I eat way more fish than any other meats.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

shimma Apprentice

I find my muscles ache even during really simple activities - like walking. I don't have nearly the energy I used to, but I keep on plugging because I don't see much of an alternative. Sitting on the couch certainly isn't going to help!

I may be in a different situation than you though - still have a lot of symptoms and haven't put on any weight since I lost it before my diagnosis. My body is definitely not as healthy as it could be.

jenvan Collaborator

absolutely carrie. aside from the fibromyalgia i have, i have also noticed that it seems to take my muscles longer to recover. ie. if i was lifting weights i will be more sore for longer than previously when more healthy. i definitely don't have the endurance i did either. i ran mini marathon successfully in '01, and was hoping to train for a smaller size triathalon or for a full marathon. now the thought is exhausting. i hope one day...

i eat very healthy as well. for those of us who have been sick for along time, i can't help but think it just takes a long long time to recover. and sadly, maybe some of us may not be exactly what we were before ? can't think of any ideas for you if you are eating high energy foods/water before a work and replenishing after...

cmom Contributor

I have also noticed that the last four months or so, I am very stiff and sore when I get out of bed in the morning. Don't know why, since I am just as active as I was before. No change in level of activity. Maybe it's my age! :)

Carriefaith Enthusiast

Thanks guys for your help :) I just needed to know if this was normal or if other people were experiencing similar problems. I guess we need longer to feel 100% better. I'm so impatient though, I just get frustrated with myself when I get tired so easily.

rmmadden Contributor

Carrie,

I've noticed a drop-off in my athletic ability. Before I got sick with celiac disease I was playing men's fastpitch baseball. I decided to take this year off as I didn't think I had the energy to play 9-inning games. I don't really get tired but, I've noticed that if I do too much I get light headed a bit and have to sit down.

I do walk a lot and bicycle some as well. I have been playing co-ed softball 1x per week and so far I've faired pretty well. I think I'm still recovering and slowly getting better (Knock-on-wood) so I hope to see my energy level pick-up some and start doing more physical activity.

Cleveland Bob B)

tarnalberry Community Regular

I've done much better at the active things I do recently than I used to. I don't know if it's all the diet, or what, but I've done better.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

KaitiUSA Enthusiast

When I got mono (that triggered celiac) that is when I had trouble with endurance and I never had that problem before.

I had problems until I went gluten free...then about 8-10 months being gluten free everything was fine again

watkinson Apprentice

Hi Carrie,

I was wondering if your taking any vitamins? A B-complex vitamin helps with energy. I take one that I get from Trader Joe's that you put under your tingue. I take it every morning.

Also, are you getting enough sleep? Good sleep, the deep REM kind of sleep. I know with me when my muscles are extremely sore and tight I don't sleep deeply.

Hope you feel better soon,

Wendy

Carriefaith Enthusiast

Cleveland Bob - Glad to hear that you are slowly getting better :) My energy levels have improved a lot since last year, but they still aren't 100%. I think I will need more time.

Tiffany - Yea, I was wondering if it was the diet cauing a lack of energy.

Kaiti - Good to hear that your endurance got better. There is hope for us

Wendy - I take calcium and vitamin D. But if a B-complex will help, I'll give it a try! I guess we probably miss out on some of the B vitamins since they are a lot of them in gluten foods. I try to get lots of sleep 7-9 hours most nights B)

Nadtorious Rookie

It took me about a year and a half to really feel about 75% and now I'm at about 95%. Anemia is a big problem facing celiacs, especially those recently diagnosed. I also noticed that I was short of breath all the time, bruised easily, and got tired way quick. Not to mention anxiety and everything else (i'm an avid mountain biker, and this was tough for me to overcome). I don't take any supplements, but I do eat a lot of red meat and fish (esp. salmon) and fruits and veggies and natural fats. I'm no longer anemic, and can keep up with the junior kids that I coach :) Good luck with everthing-it's always nice to see fellow celiac athletes!

Nadia

VegasCeliacBuckeye Collaborator

I notice I start to "suck wind" pretty quick now. I usually have to wait a few minutes or fight through it.

My second wind is actually AMAZING....I can play hoops for like an hour, but after the first 15 minutes I feel so winded, but Like I said, it goes away....

Carriefaith Enthusiast

Thanks for the info Nadia, I guess it not abnormal to still be feeling less than 100% at this point in time on the diet.

I notice I start to "suck wind" pretty quick now. I usually have to wait a few minutes or fight through it. My second wind is actually AMAZING....I can play hoops for like an hour, but after the first 15 minutes I feel so winded, but Like I said, it goes away....

broncobux, I am kinda like that too. The first 10-15 minutes of running or playing soccer is sometimes harder then the rest. But maybe it's because I'm not warmed up yet ;)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest BERNESES

Yeah- It happened to me too. At first, I could barely get off the couch and I actually lost my desire to do anything (I love to ski, surf, walk, bike, do yoga) but it's been a little over 6 months and I would say that I'm about 60% better. I'm walking, biking short distances and I even went surfing for a half hour last week (that's a long time- the water is cold in NH!). I've found that I have to force myself to do stuff, it does take longer to recover, but I'm usually glad I did.

I'm really frustrated too as I used to be always on the go and now I find that I get tired much more quickly. But you figure, it takes awhile to recover and eventually you'll get your ya ya's back. It's good to hear that Kaiti improved so much. And the other thing is I think depending on what we eat, we have good days and bad days. Let's hope we all get our ya ya's back soon! I want to ski this winter and not be exhausted by the time I arrive at thmountain and freeze to death because I had NO cold tolerance this winter (or last summer- it would be 90 degrees out and I'd be freezing). It seems to be getting better though. Best, Beverly

Carriefaith Enthusiast
I've found that I have to force myself to do stuff, it does take longer to recover, but I'm usually glad I did.
I agree, I forced myself to keep in shape and I was glad I did or I think I'd be worse off.
Merika Contributor

Hi Carrie,

We've been gluten-free about the same about of time :) I went gluten-free in Feb 2004. I definitely have less energy than pre-symptoms. Of course, I was 19 then and 32 now....think that could be some of it ;) But then my 60+ yr old dance teacher can still dance me under the table, so I think I have a ways to go yet (sigh)....

Merika

Carriefaith Enthusiast

Hopefully we won't have to wait to much longer to get all of our energy back

tasha Apprentice

I definitely have noticed a change. My symptoms of celiac were usually apparent after I exercised at the gym: I'd feel very dizzy and get terrible headaches right after. I'd pretty much have to lie in bed for four hours or so to feel normally again. <_<

I've only been gluten free for three months or so. I started running again when I started the diet and it did take two months of doing it every day to even start to feel like I used to. My dietitian recommended a multivitamin which helped a lot.

I've only had one headache/dizzy spell after exercising since I've been gluten free and I think it was because of a combination of not taking the multivitamin and possibly ingesting gluten in chips I thought were safe. I also worked really hard at the gym that day. It's really annoying not being able to exercise like a person my age should be able to....not being able to really push yourself etc. I also feel afraid to go to the gym by myself because the dizzyness can get very bad. I'm hoping I will be normal after a few more months... hopefully we all will be!

Good luck with it everyone!

Carriefaith Enthusiast
I'd pretty much have to lie in bed for four hours or so to feel normally again.
I felt the same way last month after my first few games so I know what you mean. All I wanted to do was lay in bed the entire day after the game. I'm not like that anymore though.

I started running again when I started the diet and it did take two months of doing it every day to even start to feel like I used to.
I also notied that it takes longer for me to get in shape than I used to. I started out walking 3-4 times a week and I would be out of breath just walking a little over a kilometer, then after a month or so of that, I worked my way up to jogging and running.

I think you will start to notice improvements with time, I seem to be getting better every month now, which is awesome! So I hope you have the same success. I am still not my usual self though. The next 5 days will be a real test for me, since I have 5 games coming up between Friday and Monday!

tasha Apprentice
The next 5 days will be a real test for me, since I have 5 games coming up between Friday and Monday!

Wow! Good luck with those games. Sounds pretty intense!

I'm glad you're improving...I think that's so important. As long as we all keep getting better we will soon be back to normal :)

Have an awesome weekend!

Carriefaith Enthusiast

Thanks B)

• 2 months later...
julie5914 Contributor

Thank you so much, Carrie, for starting this thread. I have had decreased engery and poop out way before other people who eat horrible and never workout. It has been extremely frustrating as people just assume I am weak or out of shape. I have been looking into finding out what else was wrong with me, but I am so glad to hear that this seems normal with celiac. I am only 4 months in.

Drew Newbie
I have had decreased engery and poop out way before other people who eat horrible and never workout. It has been extremely frustrating as people just assume I am weak or out of shape. I have been looking into finding out what else was wrong with me, but I am so glad to hear that this seems normal with celiac. I am only 4 months in.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hang in there ! I can tell you from experience... after a good while on the gluten-free diet your sports ability will improve dramatically

I am an avid mountain biker. Prior to discovering my gluten intolerance, I was able to hang in there with the group on a ride. Now, a year and a half later, the group is way behind me eating my dust leaving me time to find extra tricks and stunts while I wait for them ! My recovery time is way quicker so I find myself wearing out on set of riding buddies only to go out with some others the next day.

I would say do what you can for now exercise - wise and go solo if group pressures are dragging you down. Focus most of your energies on assuring that you ingest only whole foods prepared by yourself and that will be the best thing you can do to increase your sports performance. Good luck !

Archived