This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Help W/ Sleep Away Camp

flagbabyds

flagbabyds Collaborator

Next weekend I am going to a spanish emergin camp for the weekend and this will be the first time my parents won't be able to talk to the chefs because they don't speak a word of spanish :). I was just wondering how I could pack enough food and I am only in 8th grd. so i don't know a huge amout of spanish and I am scared that if i get sick then i will have to go home any ideas for good foods that don't have to be refrigerated>?!~!

I have live w/ celiac disease since 20 mnths so I know what i can and can't eat but talking to a chef in a different language will be tough. I am also going to Mexico with my spanish class this summer for 2 wks so i need help with that too

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Guest Disturbed

Maybe it would be a good idea to bring your own skillets and cookware and such, if possible....I am sure that if you were to check that they will be using Cast Iron skillets which retain bits of all that has been cooked on them. Also I will see if I can get a thing on the celiacs warning card, but you might try typing in something to warn them on one of these translator sites. Babelvista is one I believe...

Do not be too worried though, stress and worry are never good for anyone much less for someone who is already having to be cautious.

Good Luck,

Disturbed

Guest Disturbed

I have been diagnosed with celiacs disease and cannot come in contact with wheat,rye,or barley or any products.

Me han diagnosticado con enfermedad de los celiacs y no puedo venir en

contacto con trigo, centeno, o cebada o ningunos productos.

Hope it helps,

Disturbed

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Stepha

If you have a Spanish class at your school ask a teacher for help with the translation. Sometimes those sites don't translate correctly. But after you get help with a translation put it on the computer and print many out and hand them to the waiter.

Don't forget

Por favor (please)

and Gracias (thank you)

Have fun

Stepha

• 3 weeks later...
flagbabyds Collaborator

i had a lot of fun at camp and food was completely fine.. it turned out that the kitchen staff didn't speak spanish so that made it a lot easier

plantime Contributor

I'm so glad it turned out well for you! I hope you had fun while you were there!

Archived