This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Liquid Food

flagbabyds

flagbabyds Collaborator

I am going to have jaw surgery in the summer and I need some new ideas about what liquid foods that i can have. Now i am weird but i don't like ice cream or smoothies and that is a HUGE prroblem becuase I just had my wisdom teeth out and the hardest part was getting enough food to keep my stomach full...

i want filling foods that are soft/liquid becuase the said i will be on a soft food diet for at least a month and i am starting high school in aug. and i don't know if i will be able to chew then so any suggestioins are welcome

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

SadiesMomma Apprentice

I totally feel your pain hun...... try these, their yummy!

***Cream of Rice cereal (Its gluten-free...make it with more water or milk so its more liquidy)

***Applesauce

***Dole peaches (plastic jar... mash them up good and you can slurp them)

***Mashed potatos (do not use boxed because they are not gluten-free)

***Mashed veggies afer they've been cooked

***Tons of juice

As for the other things I can think of.. I do not know it they are gluten-free so I wont risk it and in letting you know. Good luck! :)

gf4life Enthusiast

flagbabyds,

You want to also get some protein. If you get some plain whey protein or egg protein powder (make sure it is gluten-free) them you can mix it with the other pureed foods. You can also get the little jars of pureed meats from the babyfood section of the store.

And there are some brands of instant mashed potatoes that are gluten-free. Idahoan Instant Original and Barbara's Instant mashed potatoes are two that I know of. Of course fresh baked or boiled are probably healthier, either way they need to be mixed to a smooth runny consistency.

Any soft cooked food can be blended up into a shake like drink. I don't recommend blending rice. It comes out very sticky. I tried this with my husband when he had his tonsils out (at 36 years old!) and he couldn't stand it. And he is by no means a picky eater!

God bless,

Mariann :)

• 2 weeks later...
zippyten Newbie

Flagbabyds,

Just saw this and thought I'd add grits to the list. They are very quick (can be made in the microwave) and you can do lots of things to them -- make them spicy and savory (salt, pepper, paprika, butter & Parmesan cheese if you can tolerate lactose) or sweet (maple syrup, cinnamon, applesauce, with milk or soymilk or rice milk) and it is very filling, so you do feel like you've eaten something substantial.

I'd also suggest you get hold of a few good soup cookbooks (many soups are gluten-free) and invest in a handheld blender, which is usually only about $25 or $30. It's really useful for pureeing soups and other things because you can do that right in the pot without having to pour it into a food processor or blender (very messy and time consuming). The handheld blender takes literally a couple of minutes and it makes soups so much better. You can get an enormous amount of nutrition from one soup and it'll taste good also.

Good luck -- it's good you're preparing ahead of time, it will make it a little bit easier to get through.

Zippyten

gf4life Enthusiast

Zippyten,

Great ideas! :D I just picked up a new handheld blender at RiteAid for $14. I felt it was safer to use, since my husband uses our regular blender for his non-gluten-free foods all the time. I can make smoothies and soups and stuff.

My daughter is just starting the gluten-free/cf diet and will be having her tonsils out this summer. This topic is helping me to figure out what I am going to feel her as well.

Thanks everyone for the great ideas of what to eat. I am hoping my daughter will not notice the tofu in the smoothies, since I think that will be a good way to sneak in some protein.

God bless,

Mariann

Guest Libbyk

I drinka ton of miso soup. All you do is put a couple tablespoons of miso (make sure it is gluten-free ) in a mug, and add water until you have a ratio that you like. Easy, salty, full of protein.

Lib

• 2 weeks later...
celiac3270 Collaborator

Is "Ensure" gluten-free? It wouldn't be the most delectable meal, but at least it would be nutritious. Obviously, soups and stuff, but I don't have any suggestions in that category...I've never had too much of that stuff

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived