This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Celiac Switching From gluten-free Back To Gluten..help!

kostrof1

ravenwoodglass Mentor

Most of these posts have criticized me and finally someone speaking from experience. I'm so sorry you had to experience all of this.

I don't think people are criticizing you. I think that was directed at the person who suggested hiding it to be able to get through boot camp.

It is human nature to be curious and in addition for those of us who have done a gluten challenge the thought of someone else having to go through this sends shudders down our spines.

I had to do a challenge for GI derived diagnosis after only being gluten free for a couple months on the orders of another doctor. The results of that challenge were dire to put it mildly. Not only did it impact my brain, making me hell to live with because I had almost no control over my temper and depression it also caused a severe return of D. With that challenge and with every glutening since then I suffer a GI bleed but my reaction was severe because I was so severely damaged before I was diagnosed. Hopefully your reaction will be milder. Do try your best to prepare yourself mentally for what you may experience back on gluten. Some of us have gone back on gluten for a bit and not suffered too badly but some of us have had really bad reactions. The idea to try gluten to see what it does before this 2 month period is a good one. That way you will know what to expect and plan accordingly. It will also give you the chance to perhaps talk to your doctor to see if you can get some meds that will help you make it through. I hope your experience is not to severe.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Loey Rising Star

Oh my! I can't imagine what I would go through if I had to eat gluten again...or then again...I can but it's a hellish nightmare.

I don't intend to speculate or judge you as to the "WHY?"s of your decision to go back to a glutened diet. I'll just tell you a little about me and my experience, as it seems that's what you're looking for.

My wheelchair is in part a direct relation to Celiac Disease being undiagnosed for my whole life up till 2009...I started a GFD then and had gluten issues diagnosed in 2010. Gluten ataxia, GI problems, and emotional/mental health problems, EXTREME and debilitating pain, malabsorption issues...have come as a result of eating gluten and not knowing it was killing me (see my signature below).

I accidentally ingested gluten a few times after I went gluten free. I was still learning for a while, and CC sometimes happens. Anyways, each time I've been exposed again to gluten it's landed me in the hospital multiple times per incident. I'm not talking about eating a piece of bread either. I mean like gluten in a piece of lunchmeat or cc because the cheese was cut with the same knife used to slice sandwich bread. Those situations WILL send me to the ER. Hallucinations, difficulty breathing, heart palpitations, rhythmic muscle contractions (myoclonic jerks), major diarrhea that leads to dehydration for which I need IV's, fever, pain that leaves me bedridden for about 2-3 weeks, followed by neurological symptoms. My vision gets so bad that I cannot read because my eyes skip and I get nystagmus, I cannot drive, I cannot sit up in bed because I will literally fall out of bed because my balance gets that bad. I lose my coordination and cannot do simple things like pick up a cup in the kitchen without knocking it over or get my key in the front door to enter my house at night.

Since you're asking for honest answers, that's the honest truth in my case. GLUTEN CAN KILL ME. And if I had not gone gluten free when I did, I believe it would have only been a few months before I died. Again, I need not exaggerate here. It is what it is.

The long-term effects never fully go away for me. Once I've been glutened (even just one little CC on one day and not again!), it takes at least 4 months for me to recover, but I never get EVERYTHING back to the place I was before glutened last. I will lose something - the ability to read small print, the ability to drive at night, the ability to walk on uneven ground without crutches/wheelchair/walker, etc. I do not anticipate getting these things back.

I now have SSI Disability, because of all of the problems Celiac Disease has caused. Actually, I just got the letter this week. I work from home because I do not have the energy or pain tolerance to work anywhere else, and I work part-time. I'm glad that I can do that, though when I was younger I used to go to the university as a full-time student AND work part-time. Can't now.

----------------

Suggestions? Well, eat as little gluten as possible.

I hope you will have much better luck that I have. I know I'm a person who has VERY SEVERE reactions and I'm super-sensitive. Some people are sick, it seems, for a few days per cc incident (assuming they don't continue to eat it repeatedly, day after day) and can get back to "normal" or near-normal within 2-3 weeks. But I assume you already knew that. So I figured you needed to hear from someone in the opposite camp who never fully recovers from any amount of gluten.

Best wishes for you and prayers going your way. Sorry for your situation and the stress that must be involved. Keep us updated and I'm sure there will be people here to help you walk through it and give suggestions when you're reacting.

Oh...by the way....PEDIALYTE is a wonderful substance! Gluten free too. Walmart brand is cheaper (cheapest to buy in the liter bottles already made...funny...you'd think the powder would be cheaper!) and also gluten-free. When I'm having a lot of D and can't eat or drink much, I have to down the Pedialyte or my electrolytes will tank and I end up in the ER again. So....drink lots. No matter how much it costs to drink Pedialyte by the liter, it costs more to say Hello to the ER doctors.

I feel horrible for both of your situations. I was diagnosed in May of 2010 after being bedridden for 6 weeks. My GI thought I had gone undiagnosed for decades. In addition to the Celiac I now have been diagnosed with an ulcer and IBS. I moved to a new state the day after I was diagnosed and haven't been happy with my new GI. I just got a referral to a new one who came highly recommended by my husband's co-worker. I don't see him until January but if I get any tips or suggestions I will let you know. In the meantime you'll both remain in my prayers.

Sending support and healing hugs,

Loey

kostrof1 Newbie

I'm sorry if I came across as criticizing you, personally. That was not my intent, but you posted asking for advice and I'm entitled to my opinion. I really hope you are not going into the military, I hope it's something much more serious than that that would cause you to risk your health. Sometimes you just can't do what you want to do in life. I had to drop out of grad school and give up my dream career because of this disease. I have hope that I may be able to complete school sometime, but I will never be able to do what I had planned on doing for the rest of my life. That's life sometimes. Whatever your situation is I wish you well.

You're first sentence made my point...ADVICE...not opinions. Military is serious.. without it you would not have the FREEDOM to state your OPINION... so here is my opinion..celiacs is not going to keep me from my dream. Where there is a will there is a way..and I will find my way. This was just one step to help me get closer to my dream. Thanks for the well wishes. I hope you find the strength courage to continue on with your life...for life is short and we should all be able to do what we dream.

I'm sorry if anyone here came across as criticizing you. We are all in this together and it break my heart that you are in a situation so dire that you have to do this. Just know that we care about you and are here for you. I'll keep you in my prayers and send you the strength you need to get through this.

Healing Hugs,

Loey

P.S. Please remember that you can vent to us if you are not feeling well and don't let anything stop you from doing that. Feel free to PM me.

I can't thank you enough for the encouragement, prayers and kind words. People like you are very helpful. I appreciate it.

Oh my! I can't imagine what I would go through if I had to eat gluten again...or then again...I can but it's a hellish nightmare.

I don't intend to speculate or judge you as to the "WHY?"s of your decision to go back to a glutened diet. I'll just tell you a little about me and my experience, as it seems that's what you're looking for.

My wheelchair is in part a direct relation to Celiac Disease being undiagnosed for my whole life up till 2009...I started a GFD then and had gluten issues diagnosed in 2010. Gluten ataxia, GI problems, and emotional/mental health problems, EXTREME and debilitating pain, malabsorption issues...have come as a result of eating gluten and not knowing it was killing me (see my signature below).

I accidentally ingested gluten a few times after I went gluten free. I was still learning for a while, and CC sometimes happens. Anyways, each time I've been exposed again to gluten it's landed me in the hospital multiple times per incident. I'm not talking about eating a piece of bread either. I mean like gluten in a piece of lunchmeat or cc because the cheese was cut with the same knife used to slice sandwich bread. Those situations WILL send me to the ER. Hallucinations, difficulty breathing, heart palpitations, rhythmic muscle contractions (myoclonic jerks), major diarrhea that leads to dehydration for which I need IV's, fever, pain that leaves me bedridden for about 2-3 weeks, followed by neurological symptoms. My vision gets so bad that I cannot read because my eyes skip and I get nystagmus, I cannot drive, I cannot sit up in bed because I will literally fall out of bed because my balance gets that bad. I lose my coordination and cannot do simple things like pick up a cup in the kitchen without knocking it over or get my key in the front door to enter my house at night.

Since you're asking for honest answers, that's the honest truth in my case. GLUTEN CAN KILL ME. And if I had not gone gluten free when I did, I believe it would have only been a few months before I died. Again, I need not exaggerate here. It is what it is.

The long-term effects never fully go away for me. Once I've been glutened (even just one little CC on one day and not again!), it takes at least 4 months for me to recover, but I never get EVERYTHING back to the place I was before glutened last. I will lose something - the ability to read small print, the ability to drive at night, the ability to walk on uneven ground without crutches/wheelchair/walker, etc. I do not anticipate getting these things back.

I now have SSI Disability, because of all of the problems Celiac Disease has caused. Actually, I just got the letter this week. I work from home because I do not have the energy or pain tolerance to work anywhere else, and I work part-time. I'm glad that I can do that, though when I was younger I used to go to the university as a full-time student AND work part-time. Can't now.

----------------

Suggestions? Well, eat as little gluten as possible.

I hope you will have much better luck that I have. I know I'm a person who has VERY SEVERE reactions and I'm super-sensitive. Some people are sick, it seems, for a few days per cc incident (assuming they don't continue to eat it repeatedly, day after day) and can get back to "normal" or near-normal within 2-3 weeks. But I assume you already knew that. So I figured you needed to hear from someone in the opposite camp who never fully recovers from any amount of gluten.

Best wishes for you and prayers going your way. Sorry for your situation and the stress that must be involved. Keep us updated and I'm sure there will be people here to help you walk through it and give suggestions when you're reacting.

Oh...by the way....PEDIALYTE is a wonderful substance! Gluten free too. Walmart brand is cheaper (cheapest to buy in the liter bottles already made...funny...you'd think the powder would be cheaper!) and also gluten-free. When I'm having a lot of D and can't eat or drink much, I have to down the Pedialyte or my electrolytes will tank and I end up in the ER again. So....drink lots. No matter how much it costs to drink Pedialyte by the liter, it costs more to say Hello to the ER doctors.

Wow! You poor thing! I'm glad to hear that you have thing ironed out mostly even tthough it must be complete hell to know what's going to happen if you get one little crumb of gluten. I ingested gluten approximately 3 times since my gluten-free diet. The first 2 times I got sick to my stomach and had to hit a bathroom pretty quick but was back on my feet that day. The last time downed me for about 2 days. Couldn't leave the bathroom for the first day. I'm so sorry to hear how awful your symptoms can be..but I thank you so much for sharing all this with me and for the advice. I will keep the pedialyte in mind! Once again I appreciate your support and feedback and hope that you continue to do well :) take care!

Hi Friend,

I just had a thought for you as I was reading another post. Doctor's tell patients all the time to go back to eating gluten at the rate of 3 or 4 slices of bread per day for 6 weeks prior to testing. If they can make it through that then so can you regardless of what you are having to go through. I think what matters most is that you are true to yourself. "To thine own self be true." In light of the fact that some people do this on their Dr.'s advice- And Dr.s are sworn to First Do No Harm....well if it is OK to tell a Celiac pt. to eat gluten for the challenge knowing it will likely be damaging them. Then I say you have a right to eat gluten for 2 months to get through whatever you need to get through. Just another way to think of it. But if there is any testing ya wanna get done...that would be a good time to do it...after the gluten challenge. Still, I hope that time goes really fast for you.

Thank you thank you thank you!!

Your post intrigued me, but putting that aside. I agree with the other person who wrote about the gluten challenge; it can be done. Judging by your post I think you will be just fine. It takes a strong person to even suggest such an idea and you seem very committed to this.

My only advice would be do plan for the brain fog. When I am affected by cc I experience Extreme attention problems and am very irritable and unable to think. Sometimes my attention is so poor that it is not safe for me to drive. :( I just want you to consider these things when developing you plan.

Best of luck! Let us know how you are doing if you can.

Thanks for making me aware of the potential risks...good to know. Appreciated!!

I don't think people are criticizing you. I think that was directed at the person who suggested hiding it to be able to get through boot camp.

It is human nature to be curious and in addition for those of us who have done a gluten challenge the thought of someone else having to go through this sends shudders down our spines.

I had to do a challenge for GI derived diagnosis after only being gluten free for a couple months on the orders of another doctor. The results of that challenge were dire to put it mildly. Not only did it impact my brain, making me hell to live with because I had almost no control over my temper and depression it also caused a severe return of D. With that challenge and with every glutening since then I suffer a GI bleed but my reaction was severe because I was so severely damaged before I was diagnosed. Hopefully your reaction will be milder. Do try your best to prepare yourself mentally for what you may experience back on gluten. Some of us have gone back on gluten for a bit and not suffered too badly but some of us have had really bad reactions. The idea to try gluten to see what it does before this 2 month period is a good one. That way you will know what to expect and plan accordingly. It will also give you the chance to perhaps talk to your doctor to see if you can get some meds that will help you make it through. I hope your experience is not to severe.

I understand. I felt at times I was getting negative opinions and thoughts instead of actual advice and words from experience. I appreciate your advice and insight. Many of you have helped me tremendously and now I don't feel so alone. Thanks again.

Marz Enthusiast

Hooo boy, that's quite a tricky situation, my sympathies :(

With my gluten challenge, which was done after a month gluten-free, I didn't notice that bad stomach problems. What was worse was the anxiety, panic attacks, itching (I starting getting DH after going gluten-free), brain fog, depression, irritability. You definitely should prepare for mood swings, and brace yourself for fatigue and maybe depression if you're inclined that way.

You might get lucky and "just" get the stomach problems?

** Not doctor's advice, and only said because this is an extreme situation, please don't flame me :) DO NOT TRY THIS if you can eat gluten-free, because you'd be incredibly stupid to do so unless really necessary**

I'm going to make a way out suggestion here - but I know that your immune system can down regulate itself. The theory is that the immune system is damped while eating gluten, and then recovers after going gluten-free, and then activates greatly in the face of gluten. Called the masking effect if I remember correctly. Maybe the opposite holds true - consistently eating gluten might revert you to pre-gluten-free symptoms, instead of gluten-free-oh-crap-I-just-ate-some-gluten! symptoms?

So I'd suggest going one of 2 extremes - either eating some amount of gluten morning, noon and night, and hopefully your immune system down-regulates in the face of constant activation. The small amount will cause damage yes, but hopefully your immune system will eventually realise it's going crazy?

Alternatively try to stay gluten-free even in your circumstance. You can always choose what to eat based on what you're being offered or what you can get. Take extra veges and skip the toast. I'd say this would be the best way, even if you're starving yourself a bit. Say you're on Atkins if you need to lie about your status. Or if you can't choose, take your meal and swap your bread for someone else's meat as suggested by someone else. Or just don't eat the bread :)

I think the "trying to be gluten-free and cheating once every few days" attempt will be a very bad experience, I think you either need to be completely gluten-free, or eat as if you're a normal person. You'll still be sick, but at least it won't be a yo-yo for your immune system.

WheatChef Apprentice

Aside from w/e reasons you have for doing something most of us would consider impossible as a fellow sufferer I'll recommend some things.

The initial phases of your body getting used to this will be absolutely terrible, marked by increased inflammation, all sorts of digestive issues and possible neurological symptoms as well. What you're going to want to do is to try and minimize all of these little side effects of the disease that you can. Focus on reducing inflammation as much as is possible. Things like aloe vera, fish meat or even just cod liver oil, olive oil/olives will help reduce systemic inflammation decreasing the amount of damage done overall. Additionally frequent exercise (not cardio) will help a bunch with that inflammation as well even though you probably won't have the energy to have heavy workout sessions at least try and get some in.

As far as the digestive issues go, the intake of gluten again will be causing your intestinal walls to start leaking like a sieve, if you're not already on them start taking probiotics en masse along with frequent consumption of fermented foods. This will hopefully somewhat decrease the negative effects on your internal microbes that is almost a constant with all celiacs and will somewhat diminish the amount of permeability increase you'll experience on your intestinal walls.

Since you'll be running the risk of several nutrient deficits you'll also want to look into a number of vitamin supplements. A simple trip over to the pre-diagnosis forum will show you some of the more common deficiencies that people experience on gluten. Some notable ones to watch out for are Vit-B (most of them), Vit-D, Iron and Protein.

Best of luck catching the russian spies or w/e it is you're doing.

Skylark Collaborator

You have hit at the heart of this board. A lot of us are terrified of being put into situations where we would have to eat gluten again. It would mean giving up our hard-won health. It is not an option for me at all because gluten makes me mentally ill.

There are celiacs who challenge all the time for endoscopy and other reasons. Most get pretty sick; most recover fine a few months later. I do want to share that my autoimmune thyroid disease escalated and I developed a vitamin D deficiency because I wasn't careful enough with my diet last year. I kept trying to eat out at little ethnic places and getting glutened.

I always found Immodium and Pepto Bismol helpful, and WheatChef's ideas in the post above me are fantastic. You might also consider some L-glutamine to help gut health, and sublingual B12 can be absorbed even if your intestine starts to get damaged. Bromelain from pineapple is also a natural anti-inflammatory.

I hope that dream you're following works out for you, and I agree you should not give up on dreams because of an illness.

sandsurfgirl Collaborator

It's actually incredibly rude. I know of several people who want to serve in our military honorably who would be kicked out of boot if it was known they are celiac. They get friends to trade them meat for bread and spend months, if not years trying to cover up their sickness. Once they get through boot and get their assignments they can get a doctor to check them out, and get their disease diagnost as a new condition.

To the originator of this thread... don't know if this is you, but I can tell you they all made it through. I'm sure you'll survive and get straight on the flip side.

SERIOUSLY? You have all of ONE post and you are going to tell off a regular member who is trying to be helpful??? Wow nice way to join the community. Ummmm welcome. You know she did NOT have to take the time out to answer. We don't generally do nasty around here just to let ya know.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

I couldn't get the quotes to work right so I copied and pasted what you wrote.

"You're first sentence made my point...ADVICE...not opinions. Military is serious.. without it you would not have the FREEDOM to state your OPINION... so here is my opinion..celiacs is not going to keep me from my dream. Where there is a will there is a way..and I will find my way. This was just one step to help me get closer to my dream. Thanks for the well wishes. I hope you find the strength courage to continue on with your life...for life is short and we should all be able to do what we dream."

WOW totally uncalled for! So it appears that you are going in the military and lying to them about the state of your health to do so. As the wife of an Air Force Captain... um not a wise idea, not to mention not a smart choice for your own health. You are risking not only illness, but the possibility of long term damage to your brain or your intestines or other organs.

You are young and idealistic and that's great but you have to deal with the reality of your situation. You have a serious autoimmune disease that WILL impact your life whether you like it or not, whether you choose to ignore that fact or not.

Sadly, we can't all follow our dreams. Life circumstances do dictate our reality. It's just a fact of life. But you can do something amazing and incredible with your life.

My husband said he can't believe anyone would do that to themselves. How are you going to do Boot camp if you are sick as a dog?

People took time from their day to respond to you and then you whine about them criticizing you. If you make a mysterious post, then yes people will be curious and they will ask questions because they know how sick you are likely to be eating all that gluten, and they want to try to figure out if there is any way you can not do this to yourself.

They are trying to help you, even if you don't like what you are hearing.

You might want to read this.

I copied and pasted an excerpt and then I posted the link. Do some googling about what can happen if you lie about your medical history to enlist and then google your options. Information is ALWAYS a good thing.

Here's the link to the article. Open Original Shared Link It says that technically lying to get into the military is a felony. I know you do not want to hear this, but you need to do your research before you make a choice that can impact you on so many different levels, not only your health. I didn't read all of it, but you may want to. Know what you are getting yourself into.

Here's the part I copied and pasted.

"An Air Force recruit had a history of childhood asthma. He had experienced no incident of asthma since the age of 12. The recruiter advised the recruit to lie about the childhood asthma, informing the recruit that there was no way that the military could search all the medical records in the World, and discover it. The recruiter told him to make sure he answered "No" for every question at MEPs during the medical examination. The recruiter told him that "N.O." stood for "New Opportunities," and "Y.E.S." stood for "Your Enlistment Stops." The recruit entered the Air Force and graduated basic training. While doing PT at technical school, he had an asthma attack and collapsed. He was taken to the hospital, where the medical professionals diagnosed asthma. A check of his enlistment paperwork showed no reported history of asthma. Officials simply made a few phone calls to hospitals located in the areas where the recruit lived in the past (that information is on the enlistment application), and found his medical records. The recruit was discharged for fraudulent enlistment, just days before technical school graduation. He received an RE-Code of "4" which means he can never, ever enlist in any military service. The sad part is, that history of childhood asthma is often waivered today, if disclosed, and a pulmonary function test shows no evidence of current breathing problems."

GlutenFreeManna Rising Star

Thank you Sandsurfgirl. BTW, the dream career of mine that I won't be able to do involves working with a non-profit organization that requires excellent health in order to serve. It's not the military, but it's a very similar situation. I don't even have a doctor's diagnosis, so technically I could lie in order to serve with this organization, but the result would be that I would never get safe food and I would be fired when I was sick and they found out. Not to mention that the work I want to do involves helping people. So how would that help people to have me sick? It would damage my reputation and the orgs reputation if I tried to lie my way to getting the job and it would do the opposite of what I hoped to do. I would have trouble getting other jobs in a similar line of work after something like that. I can do similar jobs and help people without having to lie. Sometimes a dream just has to be reformulated to fit your life situation. Celaic is a very serious disease. You may not like hearing this, but it's the truth and it's something you need to consider IF you are trying to lie your way into a job. If that's not you, then just disregard this advice.

K8ling Enthusiast

I am a military wife as well, I think it's a baaaad idea to commit a felony to try to do something you want to.

sunnybabi1986 Contributor

I think everyone is kind of jumping to conclusions a bit....the OP never said he/she is in the military at all, some other poster brought it up. The OP's reasons are his/her business and may very well be completely unrelated to military :)

K8ling Enthusiast

Oh yeah I agree with that I was just sayin...

In general lol

ravenwoodglass Mentor

I think everyone is kind of jumping to conclusions a bit....the OP never said he/she is in the military at all, some other poster brought it up. The OP's reasons are his/her business and may very well be completely unrelated to military :)

Yea to this. The reason the OP will be having to go back to gluten could be for any variety of reasons. He/she was looking for help with having to deal with a 2 month glutening not for a judgement.

To the OP I hope your reaction is not too strong and you are able to get through it with a minimum of discomfort. We are here for you if things get too bad. Wishing you the best.

GFinDC Veteran

I just really think the cosmonauts are going to be disappointed if he/she doesn't show up for the flight to Mars. But I suppose we will just have to let the OP live his/her life as they see fit.

Kostrof,

The advice about Pepto Bismol is good. Be aware that it can make your stool look black due to the pink color of the Pepto.

Some people suggest marshamllow root for gut irritation / inflammation also.

I take DPP-IV sometimes when I think I have cc. Some people say it doesn't help but it doesn't hurt either. People have also suggested charcoal pills in the past to help absorb the gluten. I don't know if there is any benefit to that or not.

You're first sentence made my point...ADVICE...not opinions. Military is serious.. without it you would not have the FREEDOM to state your OPINION... so here is my opinion..celiacs is not going to keep me from my dream. Where there is a will there is a way..and I will find my way. This was just one step to help me get closer to my dream. Thanks for the well wishes. I hope you find the strength courage to continue on with your life...for life is short and we should all be able to do what we dream

I understand. I felt at times I was getting negative opinions and thoughts instead of actual advice and words from experience. I appreciate your advice and insight. Many of you have helped me tremendously and now I don't feel so alone. Thanks again.

That post above is why I think that the OP is going to try to lie to get into the military and why I posted what I did. If somebody posts something cryptic people will try to figure out what they are talking about.

I could care less what Kostrof1 is doing with his or her life. But I do take issue with coming here for advice and then getting nasty and whining when people take time to write long paragraphs giving you advice but you just don't like what they said. Especially when you haven't established yourself as part of this wonderful community of kind and caring people. I know for me personally, there are times it can take me between 10 and 30 minutes to respond thoughtfully to someone. As a matter of fact my former responses on this thread were time consuming.

kareng Grand Master

That post above is why I think that the OP is going to try to lie to get into the military and why I posted what I did. If somebody posts something cryptic people will try to figure out what they are talking about.

I could care less what Kostrof1 is doing with his or her life. But I do take issue with coming here for advice and then getting nasty and whining when people take time to write long paragraphs giving you advice but you just don't like what they said. Especially when you haven't established yourself as part of this wonderful community of kind and caring people. I know for me personally, there are times it can take me between 10 and 30 minutes to respond thoughtfully to someone. As a matter of fact my former responses on this thread were time consuming.

You go Sandy Girl!

Its sad because there are ways, even in the military, to deal with celiac disease. If this person were to get educated with a skill that is in demand, like a nurse, some branches would probably still accept them. Maybe not to a war zone, but they would still be helping their country.

The fact is, that something as important and potentially dangerous as military duty, should be performed by someone who is physically and mentally at their peak. Anything less is dangerous to others serving with him or her. To serve knowing you are compromised physically or mentally is wrong.

I had hoped this poster would realize that doing something that is bad for his/ her health, might also affect the lives and/ or health of others around them. ( if they were talking about the military particularly). Sadly, I fear this person may not be considering others.

You go Sandy Girl!

Its sad because there are ways, even in the military, to deal with celiac disease. If this person were to get educated with a skill that is in demand, like a nurse, some branches would probably still accept them. Maybe not to a war zone, but they would still be helping their country.

The fact is, that something as important and potentially dangerous as military duty, should be performed by someone who is physically and mentally at their peak. Anything less is dangerous to others serving with him or her. To serve knowing you are compromised physically or mentally is wrong.

I had hoped this poster would realize that doing something that is bad for his/ her health, might also affect the lives and/ or health of others around them. ( if they were talking about the military particularly). Sadly, I fear this person may not be considering others.

That is exactly what my husband said. He has been in 4 different war zones and he expressed great concern over that. Also the dangers of being ill from being glutened during boot camp which is extremely physically demanding. He has seen first hand what getting glutened does to me and he said a soldier going through that purposely is not a good situation.

yes we still do not know for sure what the OP was talking about but based on that post, I think I can guess with about a 99% accuracy.

• 2 weeks later...
shezatrip Apprentice

Whatever the situation may be...can you smuggle in some rice, tuna, etc?? :-)

• 1 month later...
Kate79 Apprentice

I was diagnosed with Celiacs in April of this year and immediately changed my diet to gluten free which relieved all my problems in just weeks. I am faced with a situation recently where I HAVE NO CHOICE but to switch back to a gluten diet for a period of time..a couple months. I do not want to say why in case this comes across the wrong eyes but point being I have to go back to an unregulated diet. I have accidentally consumed gluten about 2 times since my gluten-free diet.. I got sick for a day or two. My question is if I take the risk and eat gluten then continue to eat it will my body cope like it did before until I can once again resume my gluten-free diet? Or will the illness not stop? I'm in a real sticky situation here and have about a month until I have no choice but to eat gluten. Someone please help me

I'm sorry for your situation - that sucks! I know you probably know this already, but I did want to mention that eating gluten when you're a celiac can cause long-term, irreversible damage to your intestines and other organs. Before my aunt was finally diagnosed, she had to undergo major surgery to remove her gall bladder and significant amounts of her small intestine - basically, the tissue was dead. I'm not saying you shouldn't do whatever is necessary for your situation - but please be sure to monitor your health and reactions and keep the gluten to a minimum as best you can. Only you know if it's 'necessary' or worth it to you in the end. Best of luck!

Jamie-S Newbie

Hi there, I just wanted to let you know that I was sort of in a similar position as you. when I lived at home with my parents I was gluten free for 9months. I then got married and moved to an area that barely had any gluten free options, and as we were newlyweds not alot of money to spend on the over priced foods. That being said I stopped being gluten free for 6 months. I just started back on my gluten free diet this Jan 2011... Being off my diet def made me feel sick again and alot of my symptoms returned, and I am finding it harder this second time around on my diet for my symptoms to go away. It is taking alot longer to feel better. I hope this is not the same in your case and I wish you all the luck.

Archived