This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Got A Blood Test For Ttg This Morning. Is That Enough?

possiblyglutensensitive

possiblyglutensensitive Explorer

So my doctor sent me for blood tests and as far as gluten and celiac are concerned, she asked only for the tTG test (in French it is a test for antibodies called "anti-transglutaminase"). She said it was the only one she needed to ask for.

is it enough? is it a good test?

and would it only be positive if I have celiac (actual tissue damage to my intestines), or would it be positive for gluten intolerance too? And then we would confirm celiac with biopsy?)?

I am confused as to what this test screens for and whether it can be negative even if one has a gluten intolerance.

It will take 3 to 4 weeks to get the results back. thanke for helping me understand better. :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Anyone? :)

cassP Contributor

no, it's not enough.... false negatives run so high, it's best to get a COMPLETE panel:

TTG Igg AND Iga

Antigliadin Igg AND Iga

Endomysial Antibodies

Total Iga Serum

no, it's not enough.... false negatives run so high, it's best to get a COMPLETE panel:

TTG Igg AND Iga

Antigliadin Igg AND Iga

Endomysial Antibodies

Total Iga Serum

My doctor would not do them (order them from the lab). she said that if more tests needed to be done, the gastroenterologist would do them. HOW does that make any sense, since she will not refer me to one UNLESS I test positive for celiac with this test?

and it is SO hard to find a doctor here.

well too bad if the test is negative I will go gluten free anyway that's all.

is there any risk to not look further into possible intestinal damage?

divamomma Enthusiast

You at least should have also had the total IgA serum. Without that one the TTG can be false. I would ask if she can run that one as well.

You at least should have also had the total IgA serum. Without that one the TTG can be false. I would ask if she can run that one as well.

It's too late now :( It usually takes months to see a doctor and I TRIED to tell her there wee several tests and should I get another one that tTG and she would not hear it, she said "That's the only one I give".

She's so incompetent. she had to look in her binder to remind herself what test to ask for. I'm so angry. It took me 1 hour on the bus to go to the doctor, then had to be without food for 12 hours to give the blood. :(

can I just go on the gluten free diet without so much worrying about test results or biopsies? is it real important to be seen frequently (to see how well the intestin heals) if you have celiac?

It's only this morning I read that Total IgA blood serum was important in case I don't have the IgA antibodies (or something like that)... Isn't the DOCTOR who shold know this stuff??

mushroom Proficient

There are many people on this board who are self-diagnosed. Some of them had negative test results, some had no testing at all because no one thought to test them and they realized themselves gluten could be a problem; some of them tested negative after they had been gluten free already, sometimes because the doctors didn't know you should be eating gluten up until the time you are tested. You do not need a doctor's permission to go on the gluten free diet, and the only thing that requires monitoring on the diet are your levels of nutrients - we are commonly low in Vits. D, B12, folate, A, E and K, in iron (ferritin), calcium, zinc, potassium, magnesium. Some of these may require supplementation at prescription levels (D3, e.g.) to bring the levels back up if low.

Generally, the advantages of having a diagnosis are 1. to convince family members and friends of your need to eat gluten free, 2. if you are school or college age to force the schools to make allowances for your need to be gluten free, and possibly 3. to drive home to yourself the need to stay gluten free so you don't start doubting yourself.

I am sorry you are having so many problems getting the proper testing; rest assured your are in good company here. Most of us have been through the process of knowing more about celiac disease than the doctor. :unsure:

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Marlie Apprentice

I can tell you my child tested negative on both the tTG and the EMA tests. She was positive on both the Deamidated Gliadin Peptide IgA and IgG. With that positive they did a biopsy and the biospy showed a positive for Celiac Disease.

cassP Contributor

Most of us have been through the process of knowing more about celiac disease than the doctor. :unsure:

Aint that the TRUTH!!!!!

I can tell you my child tested negative on both the tTG and the EMA tests. She was positive on both the Deamidated Gliadin Peptide IgA and IgG. With that positive they did a biopsy and the biospy showed a positive for Celiac Disease.

wow... thanks for sharing that! and i'm so glad you got a correct diagnosis after all. what is so scary is that some people get negative results and continue to eat gluten and be ill.. :(

gluten sensitivity and celiac are so sneaky... and it seems so difficult to properly asses the person.

this morning my mom sent me an email where she said she thinks we are too sensitive or complain too much. I am trying to come to terms that we are NOT these things. There IS somthing wrong with our health and there IS an answer.

ravenwoodglass Mentor

can I just go on the gluten free diet without so much worrying about test results or biopsies? is it real important to be seen frequently (to see how well the intestin heals) if you have celiac?

Yes you can go gluten free without positive blood or biopsies. Once you are gluten free though if you later decide you for some reason want to be tested you would then have to do a lengthy gluten challenge and you could still have negative test results.

I have been diagnosed for 8 years and had a scope done 5 years after diagnosis since I had my 'over 50' colonoscopy. That endo showed I had fully healed. I've only needed to see a doctor a couple of times since diagnosis but a yearly general checkup is a good idea for anyone. I don't mainly because of a strong adversion to doctors after all they put me through in the many, many years it took me to be diagnosed and the fact that I haven't even had a cold in 8 years.

It is a good idea to get screened for deficiencies and osteoporosis if your doctor will do it. You don't however need a doctors permission to live gluten free.

thank you mushroom and raven

Archived