This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

Weight Has Not Changed

jess-gf

jess-gf Explorer

Hi all,

Well I've been gluten-free since November so about..2 months now. I've seen a lot of comments around here about women finally loosing their belly "pooch" after being gluten free. I'm very interested in that because I've had a pooch for a long time now though I am 28 and have no children. Unless I have perfect posture (shoulders back, boobs out, hips forward) I can look like I'm 3mos pregnant. While not totally offensive it's not the look I am going for! I'm 5'5" and about 150lbs (the nurse at the Dr's office is always surprised by that, I guess I carry it well) and I would really like to loose 10lbs. 20 would be awesome but 10 would just make me feel better about myself.

So how long do you think it will take for the glutenless belly to kick in? I know I need to exercise also, but having the energy is a challenge for me right now. I've also been thinking about starting a food journal to keep track of what I eat. I eat really healthfully and have been loosing my taste for sweets since I've been gluten-free which is a plus. I've also been dairy-free except for butter, goat's milk, and whatever might be in trader joe's gluten free english muffins or in Udi's bread. What has your weightloss experience been like?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

shopgirl Contributor

I've lost about 35 pounds since October so I'm back in healthy range. I eat no processed foods except a handful of gluten-free Chex or a Larabar. Everything else is whole and prepared myself. Lots of fruits and veggies. Almost no pasta (rice-based) and always brown rice over white. No red meat. Chicken and fish several times a week. No cheese, no baked goods, no candy, no chocolate. A glass of skim milk before bed only. And a minimum of 64 oz. of water per day.

I'd say watch the carbs that go into the processed gluten-free foods. Those can be a killer.

starrytrekchic Apprentice

I never gained or lost any weight gluten free. If it doesn't happen for you in the next few months, you'll probably have to lose it the hard way.

Healthy isn't synonymous with good for your weight. Check the calorie counts for what you've been eating. Dried fruit and nuts are diet killers, and gluten free replacements are often higher in calories than the gluten alternatives.

GlutenGladi8or Apprentice

I've lost about 35 pounds since October so I'm back in healthy range. I eat no processed foods except a handful of gluten-free Chex or a Larabar. Everything else is whole and prepared myself. Lots of fruits and veggies. Almost no pasta (rice-based) and always brown rice over white. No red meat. Chicken and fish several times a week. No cheese, no baked goods, no candy, no chocolate. A glass of skim milk before bed only. And a minimum of 64 oz. of water per day.

I'd say watch the carbs that go into the processed gluten-free foods. Those can be a killer.

I would follow ShopGirl's advice to a "T". Shop the perimeter of the store for fresh produce, seafood, and chicken. Good call on the H2O consumption and I would even up it to 80-90 ounces.

The only thing is that I love red meat and "The Other White Meat". Then again, I'm a male and I am trying to pack on muscle while staying lean.

As ShopGirl noted, watch out for those hidden carbs. They are everywhere if you don't look out for them.

jess-gf Explorer

Hmm, well I don't really eat much processed food except for Udi's bread for lunch sandwiches and sometimes I will get trader joe's english muffins for breakfasts, and rice pasta. But other then that, I am pretty good and shopping on the outside aisles. No candy or anything like that, no chocolate, no dairy except for goat's milk in my black tea. No dried fruits, sometimes I do eat nuts though.

Alison R Rookie

Jess,

Most of us are just trying to get back to nearly normal health, and if that was your goal, your current diet would be wonderful. At 20 you could have probably lost the pooch eating like you are. But as we age, it does get a little harder. Your diet sounds healthy, but not like a weight loss regimen. If you are specifically trying to lose the bulge, I would axe the sandwiches at lunch and sub in a salad with dk green leafy lettuce (like spinach or a spring mix, etc) lean meat, hard boiled eggs, or tofu, veggies and a good homemade vinaigrette. Cut out the english muffins and pasta as well. Use only fruits and vegetables as your pick me up carbs. If you can, do cardio.

Once the pooch is gone, THEN add back in your bready items, but try to use less rice flour items and more quinoa, sorghum, almond flour etc. Breads made with these items are MUCH lower on the glycemic index and will help to keep you from packing on mid-section weight again. And as many have said above, we are talking about nutrient dense foods, not low-cal foods....portion control is vital.

Having said this, I too look like I'm 3 mos. pregnant, but I have not gotten back into good enough health to run yet and I still have fibroids that I hope will continue to shrink as I eat a more healthy diet for my body. Hope this helps

Alison

• 2 weeks later...

Jess,

Most of us are just trying to get back to nearly normal health, and if that was your goal, your current diet would be wonderful. At 20 you could have probably lost the pooch eating like you are. But as we age, it does get a little harder. Your diet sounds healthy, but not like a weight loss regimen. If you are specifically trying to lose the bulge, I would axe the sandwiches at lunch and sub in a salad with dk green leafy lettuce (like spinach or a spring mix, etc) lean meat, hard boiled eggs, or tofu, veggies and a good homemade vinaigrette. Cut out the english muffins and pasta as well. Use only fruits and vegetables as your pick me up carbs. If you can, do cardio.

Once the pooch is gone, THEN add back in your bready items, but try to use less rice flour items and more quinoa, sorghum, almond flour etc. Breads made with these items are MUCH lower on the glycemic index and will help to keep you from packing on mid-section weight again. And as many have said above, we are talking about nutrient dense foods, not low-cal foods....portion control is vital.

Having said this, I too look like I'm 3 mos. pregnant, but I have not gotten back into good enough health to run yet and I still have fibroids that I hope will continue to shrink as I eat a more healthy diet for my body. Hope this helps

Alison

Jess:

Allison's advice is spot on! Follow it to a "T" and you should be seeing that unwanted belly fat melt away. Keep shopping the perimeter of the store and don't be bashful about the produce items that Allison mentioned. Get that natural fiber!

Keep us posted and good luck!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Fire Fairy Enthusiast

I believe/hope that if you continue eating nutritious food you will eventually lose the weight. Do as the others suggested and give it a few months. Our bodies work at their own pace.

• 2 weeks later...
pstubs Newbie

I spent most of my life looking pregnant and craving sweets, having no idea it was anything other than an unfortunate family inheritance. I noticed the cravings went away within a couple days of going off gluten, and completely unexpectedly, my overactive bladder no longer was. I've always fought my weight, so am hopeful like you, that things will come closer to normal the longer I'm gluten free. This is still fairly new, as I was just diagnosed within the last month at 56.

biopsy & lab diagnosed celiac Jan. 2011

ankle fracture, osteopenia Dec. 2007

escalating bladder/dental/rash/digestive issues

apnea diagnosis & surgery 2005

meds/surgery overactive bladder 2004

fibroids/hysterectomy 2004

hypothyroidism 2000

rain Contributor

I'm 11 months gluten-free and haven't lost any weight, I actually gained and am having to work to keep from gaining more. My appetite and eating patterns have changed Dramatically since going gluten-free and I'm still having to adjust. Now every calorie I eat really does count. If your body is still changing in response to the gluten-free it might just be a little to early to figure out how to lose weight.

Make sure you consult with your doctor about vitamins and supplements as well. I didn't see anywhere that you were taking the "usual suspects" (multi-vitamin, fish oil, fiber, etc.) but I am sure that you are.

It all adds up... in a good way though!

Archived