This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Bob's Red Mill Pizza Crust

Alison R

Alison R Rookie

Okay, my fiance and I have just gone gluten free. I made pizza this week so that he would feel like I am not depriving him and had mixed results.

The mix makes two crusts, so on Tuesday I mixed up the dough, made the first crust, put the pizza together and went ahead and baked the second crust wrapped it up and put it in the refrigerator.

Tuesday's pizza was AMAZING!!!! The dough was soft and flavorful and just wonderful.....my fiance was in the kitchen eating the crumbs off the pizza stone. Today, I made the other pizza for us for lunch........and the results were not so great. Our pizza crust that was fabulous on Tuesday, now tasted much closer to cardboard than a good pizza dough.

So here's my question: should I have refrigerated the dough instead of pre-making the crust? Should I ditch Bob's and use something different? I was excited because this mix is readily available at our local grocery store.....but we can't eat two pizzas at once and the second one left me dreaming of crappy glutened pizzas.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Coinkey Apprentice

I think it might be better still to just use half the mix and half the rest of the ingredients. If not then I think that freezing the uncooked dough will help it to keep for longer.

Alison R Rookie

I thought about halfing the package as well, but this is a yeast activated dough mix and I don't know how successful I would be at halfing the yeast package.

Freezing dough could possibly work, but I am new to gluten-free baking and I wonder if this would change the consistency of the dough. The package says that you can save the dough in the fridge for a few days, but I was hoping to get info from someone who had experience with this. If not, I may have to experiment myself.

I was a bit bummed out because Tuesday we thought we had hit gluten free gold. Yesterday......not so much.

lpellegr Collaborator

I use the whole mix but make it on a big rectangular baking sheet like a Sicilian pie, then cut it into 12 pieces and freeze what I don't eat. I can take a piece out in the morning and it will be thawed by lunch. I think your best bet is to make the whole mix at one time, either two round or one huge rectangular crust. I have not tried this, but often people will half-bake a crust, then cool it and freeze it for later use, so you could eat one fresh with toppings, then freeze the other without sauce and toppings for another time. And if you are using a pizza stone that has been used for regular pizza, DON'T! You will not be able to clean all of the previous gluten contamination off of it and it will transfer onto your gluten-free crust. Buy a brand-new stone or use metal pans.

Alison R Rookie

I'll have to try freezing my prebaked dough next time instead of just refrigerating it. I think that the xanthan gum in the mix may have continued to draw the baked item in after it was made. My pizza stone is clean, I had two stones before diagnosis.....sadly one had never been used, so I pitched the other one and seasoned this one. No cc issues here. :)

MelindaLee Contributor

I haven't used Bob's, but when I use gluten-free pantry mix, I freeze or just refrigerate the unbaked part. (If it will be a couple days, refrigerating, is okay) I found that baked ahead of time, as with most gluten-free bakery it quickly goes to "cardboard". Freezing does help delay this, especially if you pop in the microwave for a few seconds before eating (even cupcakes and rolls)

Archived