This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Symptomatic... Stomach Migranes?

ruddabega

ruddabega Apprentice

I was diagnosed with Celiac in Nov. 2004 and have been a die-hard gluten-less person ever since. I still have severe stomach aches every time I eat. I have been to doctor after doctor... nothing is left to diagnose me with except so-called stomach migranes. Has anyone heard of them? Got any other ideas of what could be wrong? I'm off of sugar, gluten, dairy and fruit...

Thanks,

Camila

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

celiac3270 Collaborator
I was diagnosed with Celiac in Nov. 2004 and have been a die-hard gluten-less person ever since. I still have severe stomach aches every time I eat. I have been to doctor after doctor... nothing is left to diagnose me with except so-called stomach migranes. Has anyone heard of them? Got any other ideas of what could be wrong? I'm off of sugar, gluten, dairy and fruit...

Thanks,

Camila

Cyclic vomiting? I got that diagnosis, which I believe was false, about three years ago. It's a migraine that manifests itself, primarily, in the form of vomiting, stomach aches, etc. often with light flashes, etc. I think that was just a combination of my other two REAL problems. They don't really know much about it and you can't test for it. I was told that it's a childhood thing (I was about 11 at the time) and that I would outgrow it in a few years. Is that what you're referring to?

I have no idea what could be wrong. It sounds like you've had everything checked (all associated problems, etc.). Have you had bloodwork or a biopsy to make sure there's no gluten in your diet? This is not a jab at your diligence, but even in the most paranoid person, you could be getting contaminated from a product or ONE product might have slipped through. Let me provide the following example: Hershey's makes a gluten-free chocolate bar...the kisses ae also gluten-free, and the "miniatures" (about the size of one square of the regular Hershey bar) are gluten-free--if they're in their own bag. But in the bag that is a mix of Krakel, Hershey's, etc., they AREN'T. The same paste (containing malt) is recycled for all of them. That's just an example of how easy it is. Have you checked toothpaste, all food, medication, lotions, and make-up?

Also, I know you've posted before, but I just want to take the opportunity to welcome you to the board! :) I hope you can find an answer...I went about a year into my gluten-free diet with all this other testing before finding my alternate problem. I hope you can find it sooner... ;)

-celiac3270

ruddabega Apprentice

Thank you so much for your reply. The vomiting is not an issue... and I think the migranes are very similar to head migranes just in the stomach. I will find out more from a neurologist in a month or so.

I have had my diet checked for gluten via a breath-hydrogen test. The GI doc says I'm doing well and that my villi are mostly back to normal, so Celiac isn't the basic problem now. He also mentioned lymphocytosis for my chronic constipation. Have you heard of that?

Thanks for the warm welcome!

Camila

Carriefaith Enthusiast

Have you been checked for pancreatitis or gall bladder problems? These can both cause severe pain near the stomach area since these organs are right beside the stomach.

I still have severe stomach aches every time I eat.
That is a symptom of pancreatitis.
ruddabega Apprentice

I had a full gall bladdar test done (actually, three) and they all said that my gall bladdar's fine. I haven't looked into pancreatitis. That's a good idea! Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...
AnnieMarie Apprentice

Hi R.

My son is 12 yrs. old and was just dx. with gluten intolerance from the pediatrican, we are awaiting an appt. from the GI doctor. However,I had been on regular visits complained about my sons headaches and stomach problems. he was also dx. in 2000 with stomach migranes and given two meds. to deal with it. Now I think it was the gluten all along.

My sons Dr. at the time told me they were pretty common in children.

Hope your feeling better soon! Sounds like your having a rough time.

Sincerly,

Annie

skbird Contributor

I've heard of stomach migraines. I was looking into that last fall before going gluten free for myself. Evidently, something like 50% (I don't recall the actual figure) of your body's serotonin is manufactured in your gut, as opposed to your brain. Since serotonin dictates how your blood vessels in your brain work, fluctuating levels can cause migraines. I know that the meds that work for my head migraines, triptans, do something to regulate the amount of serotonin in your head, therefore regulating your blood vessel action and causing the migraine to stop.

The articles I read were discussing whether or not this is similar to what happens in some IBS patients. I have noticed sometimes when I take a triptan for my head that my stomach improves.

If I find the links I read about this, I'll post them. I think I originally came across this topic when I was researching a supplement called 5HTP which I take - it is being considered for migraine help.

Stephanie

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

PicturePerfect Explorer

Hey

I have stomach aches too, except its not after every meal, but it is every day. <_< It hurts on the left side of my stomach. Is this not stomach aches after all? Please help!!!!

If you think you know what it is.. please e-mail me! Thanks!

Guest mlwaller

Camila, I have heard of stomache migraines also. A friend of mine was also being tested for everything until they decided he was lactose intolerant. About three months later they changed his dx to stomache migraines, and put him on beta-blockers. I don't know the significance of this, but he has seen lots of improvement and can even handle lactose again. I know this isn't a great medical explanation or anything, but maybe it gives you some idea where to go with your research. Good luck.

• 2 weeks later...
ruddabega Apprentice

Thank you all so much. Sorry I didn't respond earlier... I have been out of town.

I am going to see a neurologist in a couple of weeks to check out the stomach migrane possibility.

Stephanie-- that's so interesting about the Seratonin!

mlwaller-- I have done an elimination diet and have pretty much ruled out lactose intollerence (well, most intollerences...) that's why I became sugar-free. I know lactose gets a lot of people, and it runs in my family. I will deffinetly ask about Beta-blockers!

Thank you all so much! This helps a lot. I hadn't even heard of stomach migranes before. It's nice to learn that it's out and about in the Celiac community :)

Archived