This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Recovering Vegetarian Needs Meat Suggestions

pdx.lila

pdx.lila Rookie

For the first 20 years of my life, until I was diagnosed with Celiac two years ago I was a vegetarian. Since going gluten free I have also started eating meat. I've found that I really enjoy seafood and beef but will eat chicken (and occasionally pork). I already eat a decent amount of protein - tofu & beans but I'm trying to lose 20 lbs as well as get used to eating meat regularly. Any and all recipes are welcome, especially if they are also casein/dairy free! I'd especially like spicy or really intensely flavorful recipes. Thanks!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Wolicki Enthusiast

I use my George Foreman grill almost daily. McCormick makes a seasoning blend that has cinnamon and chipolte and it is wonderful on fish, chicken and beef. I've also used it on pork roasts in the crock pot to make "carnitas" in a healthy way. With any good seasonings, that grill is my best friend :D

GlutenGladi8or Apprentice

Boy I hear you on this one as I used to be the Director of Marketing for the second largest all natural and organic frozen foods company. The good news was that I was surrounded with as much free food as I wanted, the bad news was that it lacked some serious protein.

So onto the recommendations! Always try to find meats that are less than double digit fat levels and always trim ALL visible fat. Here are my personal favorites:

- Beef flank steak

- Pork tenderloin

- Turkey burgers

- Boneless pork chops (cut from the loin)

- Buffalo burgers (look in the club stores)

- All natural lunch meats (in the deli)

- 92-95% lean beef patties

- Salmon patties (usually in the frozen section)

- Rack of Pork (bone in roasts)

As far as spices, no kitchen would be complete without McCormick's "Montreal Steak Seasoning".

I'm not sure where you live, but in Denver we have several boutique spice shops. If you have the same, head in there and ask for 3-4 mini jars specifically for beef, pork, and poultry. Each jar will run you less than $5 a bottle. Experiment and have fun.

The GlutenGladi8or

sb2178 Enthusiast

I like lamb tagines and kefta. Get grassfed lamb, and just check out one of Paula Wolfert's cookbooks from the library to get a recipe for a tagine that appeals to you.

StephHappens Rookie

You could always do any type of Ka-bob (I don't think I spelled that right). That way you can get meat and veggies and try all types of dipping sauces. It's simple and healthy. You can mix it up, too. Shrimp, steak and sometimes chicken - if you feel in the mood.

GlutenGladi8or Apprentice

You could always do any type of Ka-bob (I don't think I spelled that right). That way you can get meat and veggies and try all types of dipping sauces. It's simple and healthy. You can mix it up, too. Shrimp, steak and sometimes chicken - if you feel in the mood.

And if you really want to give it a Mediterranean feel (Hey, that's where kabobs originated), put the skewers on a bed of rice and get some carbs as well.

Back to my posting about the spice shop, I have a bottle that I bought last year called "Mount Olympus Greek Style Seasoning". I bet that this seasoning would be a perfect compliment to any meat kabob.

Geesh... I better go get my Greek god apparel back from the dry cleaner!

Archived