• Ads by Google:

Get email alerts Celiac.com E-Newsletter

Ads by Google:

Get email alertsCeliac.com E-Newsletter

• Announcements

• admin

Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease   09/30/2015

This Celiac.com FAQ on celiac disease will guide you to all of the basic information you will need to know about the disease, its diagnosis, testing methods, a gluten-free diet, etc.   Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts   What are the major symptoms of celiac disease? Celiac Disease Symptoms What testing is available for celiac disease? - list blood tests, endo with biopsy, genetic test and enterolab (not diagnostic) Celiac Disease Screening Interpretation of Celiac Disease Blood Test Results Can I be tested even though I am eating gluten free? How long must gluten be taken for the serological tests to be meaningful? The Gluten-Free Diet 101 - A Beginner's Guide to Going Gluten-Free Is celiac inherited? Should my children be tested? Ten Facts About Celiac Disease Genetic Testing Is there a link between celiac and other autoimmune diseases? Celiac Disease Research: Associated Diseases and Disorders Is there a list of gluten foods to avoid? Unsafe Gluten-Free Food List (Unsafe Ingredients) Is there a list of gluten free foods? Safe Gluten-Free Food List (Safe Ingredients) Gluten-Free Alcoholic Beverages Distilled Spirits (Grain Alcohols) and Vinegar: Are they Gluten-Free? Where does gluten hide? Additional Things to Beware of to Maintain a 100% Gluten-Free Diet What if my doctor won't listen to me? An Open Letter to Skeptical Health Care Practitioners Gluten-Free recipes: Gluten-Free Recipes Where can I buy gluten-free stuff? Support this site by shopping at The Celiac.com Store.

Biopsy Questions!

9 posts in this topic

Booseebean    0

My doctor called me today saying that they need to schedule me for a biopsy to check for the damage that celiac may have done. They said its not manditory but strongly encourages it. Has anyone had one? What do they do? Does it hurt? Are you awake or asleep? About how long does the whole process take? Any risks involved? Can someone be there in the room with me when they do it? I HATE it when they have to have blood taken every appointment so am very fearful of how I'm gonna handle it if I have to have one. Any pro's or con's if I decide to or not to have one?

Ads by Google:
Ads by Google:

divamomma    7

My daughter had biopsy/scope last week. The whole process took about 10 minutes. She was given IV sedation and fell asleep very quickly. They put a camera down the throat and look for damage. They also will take samples of the tissue to look for damage. Sometimes the damage can be seen by the scope itself but often it is only visible under microscope. She was a bit tired when she woke up but could eat and drink. She also had a bit of a sore throat for a few hours after. Most doctors will not confirm celiac without a biopsy.

plantime    12

They gave me some Benadryl, sprayed some nasty stuff down my throat, then whatever drug they put in my IV put me to sleep. I don't remember anything about the rest of the day except riding in a wheelchair in the elevator, and waking up in my recliner at home. I felt no pain or discomfort, other than that nasty spray.

Ads by Google:

shopgirl    67

The spray numbs your throat. My doctor was going to skip it with me but I have such a ridiculous gag reflex — yawning sets it off — that I asked for it. It tastes a little like rotten bananas and goes away quickly.

But I realize now that I was so out of it, I wasn't about to be gagging on the tube anyway. :)

Sunshine411    0

I have been on a gluten-free diet & have gotten a blood test. I still have to wait a week for the results though... The doctor said something about if this one thing is high enough I won't need a biopsydone but I can't remember what it was called does anybody know? I was wondering though can they put you to sleep before you get the iv done because I already get freaked out just with needles any thoughts? Sorry if my spelling is bad. I would appreciate some replies. Thank you! :)

Ads by Google:

Had mine yesterday and the actual procedure was a breeze! It was the prep that was the worst part.

They do not put you to sleep before the iv, that's how they give you the stuff that puts you to sleep.

They did put me to sleep before they numbed my throat and did everything else though.

Honestly except for being sleepy afterwards I felt great and didn't remember anything. I felt so good I actually wondered if they had done anything to me, LOL.

LDJofDenver    6

It doesn't hurt, and barely felt putting in the IV and whammo, you're out. You most likely won't even know it's been done! You'll be on your way out before you think they even started.

My primary care doc said I didn't need an endoscopy because my blood work was positive for celiac.

However, my GI doc strongly disagreed. She said there are many reasons celiacs should have the endoscopy -- not just to confirm what blood tests indicate.

We (celiacs) often have had years of stomach upset, vomiting, reflux, etc. and during endoscopy they also examine the esophagus for damage or changes from stomach acid, and look for damage in the stomach, test for h-pylori, and look for certain markers, etc.

It's like getting the whole picture of your disease. Personally, I think it's a very worthwhile procedure to have done.