This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Newly Diagnosed

Jill0711

Jill0711 Rookie

Hello everyone! I wanted to jump in and say hi. I was diagnosed a week ago tomorrow so this is all relatively new to me. I consider myself blessed because I was only miserable for six months before my diagnosis. I know others waited much longer. My main symptoms were pain, bloating, and headaches. The D didn't come until the last month. My blood work was negative, but the biopsy was positive.

I'm just trying to figure everything out, I almost tasted my daughters pasta last night to see if it was done! It is just a whole new way of looking at things. Thanks to all who post on here. Your experiences have been really helpful.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

beefree11 Newbie

welcome Jill :) This is THE place for help and suggestions. Right now Im gonna hit the recipes.

I understand how you must stop yourself and it will take some time. I must dedicate half of my cooking time - first, for my daughter's gluten-free meals then prepare my husbands meals. He is slowly coming around to becoming gluten-free to help our daughter, but it isn't easy for him.

I am still learning about cross contamination (sometimes the hard way with daughter becoming ill :( ). Any questions, feel free to ask.

SGWhiskers Collaborator

Spend time here reading and listen to advice and experiences. I've been at this 2.5 years and this community has had a huge impact on improving my life. It's become second nature to think about everything. Last month, I purchased a new kind of gluten-free spagetti that looks like regular spagetti and when it was time to test the gluten-free noodle it was pretty strange to talk myself into eating it.

Keep educating yourself and get strict fast are my two biggest pieces of advice. A plain Hershey's bar is also gluten free for those early days when you are feeling deprived.

Jill0711 Rookie

Thanks for the welcomes. Today I am feeling pretty positive, but who knows what tomorrow will bring. Now I guess I actually have to learn how to cook :)

Marlie Apprentice

My daughter went gluten free a few weeks back. Try the quinoa spagetti noodles. They taste and look normal. Also try the gluten free snyders pretzels. I'm the pickiest eater in the world and they taste normal. Also today we tried the schar bread sticks. Although bland like an ordinary bread stick would be you can't tell they are gluten free.

SaraKat Contributor

I was just dx'd in Sept and I was at a party the week later and someone gave me a piece of pie for dessert and I started eating it, my best friend was like- are you supposed to be eating that?? Totally hard to break the habits, I can relate!

Where was your pain pre-diagnosis?

okieinalaska Apprentice

Welcome! I just got my confirmation last Thursday so almost the same day as you. :D

I was making gluten free brownies and accidently grabbed the PAM spray for baking (it has flour in it!) Had to use a different pan and I chucked the PAM in the trash.

As for pasta, I have found a pasta my family likes and can't tell the difference so we mostly eat that. (Sam Mills)

:)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Jill0711 Rookie

There is definitely a learning curve and breaking old habits. My pain is centered right between my rib cage, right near the bra line. It generally feels like someone is stabbing me. At times it was worse than others, but it landed me in the ER a couple times because I couldn't handle the pain. It is funny because the doctor didn't think the pain was related to celiac, but it has gone away since I've been gluten-free...and it came back last night after I was glutened by my well meaning husband. It just goes to show that we know our bodies best :D

Archived