This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Still Losing!

num1habsfan

num1habsfan Rising Star

Well between December and January I had dropped 11 pounds without trying. I DID way 141, then I was down to 130. For all of February to mid May I would eat double sized meals, even eat when I wasnt hungry. All that did was gain me back 9 pounds .. 9 pounds in almost 5 months, not a lot ..

so then June I got fed up with eating too much, and just went back to eating normal(whatever I CAN eat), and guess what happened?? Dropped 8 pounds within 3 weeks! I am now back to 131 and my belly is completely FLAT. I was happy at 141 pounds, its just average weight for people of my height (5' 6 1/2").

So i think I give up. If I keep dropping then I keep dropping. Because I realized it cant be controlled and I hate it..

Leave comments if you like and sorry for the rant!!

~Lisa~

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

tarnalberry Community Regular

Is the food that you are eating energy dense enough? Basically, are you filling up on rice cakes or nuts? :-) Have your doctors had any suggestions why you're not able to gain (like thyroid issues...)?

num1habsfan Rising Star
Is the food that you are eating energy dense enough? Basically, are you filling up on rice cakes or nuts? :-) Have your doctors had any suggestions why you're not able to gain (like thyroid issues...)?

Well the local dietician talked to the main dietician basically, and they dont even know what to suggest for me. I tried the hi-fat diet basically, using extra butter, that didnt work. I eat a lot of rice bread :P Pretty much what my diet consists of. And nope, no nuts because they make me sick lol..

~lisa~

Carriefaith Enthusiast

I am also almost 5'7 and I weigh 122 pounds and that is still in the normal range. I monitor my weight becasue I was underweight (112) last year around the time of my diagnosis. According to the body mass index, the normal range for people around our height is 117-156 pounds so I think you are still ok. But, since you are dropping weight so rapidly, you may have another problem. Have the doctors checked your thyroid? Hyperactive thyroids can cause rapid weight loss and it is asscoiated with celaic disease. I would suggest getting it tested. Also, maybe you are accidently ingesting gluten causing weight loss? Are you eating protein like chicken, fish, or red meat? Protein may help. Hope you get better soon B)

KaitiUSA Enthusiast

Is there any possible gluten slipping in? Through products like shampoo or anything?

You may want to get tested for thyroid, as Carrie suggested, because that can cause weight loss if it is hyper. I have Graves disease(hyperthyroid) and it is connected with celiac so maybe you have that too..its worth checking out.

But I think you are in the healthy range of weight for your height.

Some people also have fast metabolisms which means they need even more calories a day...are you getting enough in you?

num1habsfan Rising Star

I have had my thyroids checked out 4 times since I've been on the diet and they have always been perfect basically .. I have switched to gluten-free shampoo called Clinaderm .. I avoid contamination in all ways I can, as in using seperate sugar, seperate mayonnaise, seperate butter, seperate cheez whiz, etc; I use my own toaster, I never share a plate or silverware after it's already been used, I wear gloves when washing dishes so no gluten touches my skin that way .. and I barely 'cheat' but every once in a while (its now every couple months) I have to give in and eat one bit of something I shouldnt.

I know that it is summer time, been pretty hot, and I usually do not get hungry when its too hot or too humid (been feeling quite sick b/c humidity and asthma dont mix well), but every summer, even last year when I was already on the diet, I'd only lose 5-10 pounds over the whole spring/summer just from excercising and being outdoors a lot more. But I mean to lose that much in one month only I am afraid it wont stop.

I havent really had a metabolism problem before because I never have been the person who could eat and eat and never feel full :P

hmm and I do think I get enough calories, because well like I said I cant eat most veggies so its not like I can eat a lot of non-calorie things haha .. and I do eat a lot of chicken (LOVE chicken breasts) and eat lots of fish/fish products too

and I do realize I am in average range I just dont like losing when I dont want to or dont try lol

~lisa~

flagbabyds Collaborator

Lots and Lots of protein. Now I am in the underweight range after my surgery, but my surgeon has put me on a high protein no chew diet.

I have already gained 2/14 of the lbs I lost, so maybe you can get the Boost drinks or EnSure or Atkins because those have a lot of protein.

Even though you have had you thyroid checked out before you should definitly have it checked again, because in one month I went from TSH of 4 something to TSH of 10 something, so it can change quickly and that cancause you to loose weight.

Just some thoughts.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Carriefaith Enthusiast
and I barely 'cheat' but every once in a while (its now every couple months) I have to give in and eat one bit of something I shouldnt.
eating gluten every few months, depending on how much you have could be the reason why you are losing weight. You may not be allowing for your intestines to heal, resulting in sudden weight loss.
KaitiUSA Enthusiast
and I barely 'cheat' but every once in a while (its now every couple months) I have to give in and eat one bit of something I shouldnt.

:o That right there can cause the weight loss. If you are having pretty frequent cheating episodes then that can cause alot of trouble and your body may not be absorbing nutrients right again, resulting in the weight loss.

Archived