This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Reducing Gluten Vs. Gluten-Free? (New Member)

anna34

anna34 Enthusiast

Hello, and thank you for the information provided to me so far.

My daughter's blood test results have prompted the GI to do the biopsy/scope next week. While we're waiting, my husband and I have been discussing how things will change if it comes back positive for celiac. I'd like to know if someone who has celiac must go completely gluten-free to get better, or can reducing the amount of gluten in one's diet help?

Also, if one is "gluten sensitive" rather than celiac, would reducing the amount of gluten in one's diet perhaps work?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

eatmeat4good Enthusiast

Gluten has to be avoided completely if one is Celiac or gluten intolerant.

Even the dust of flour on a counter can make you ill if you are Celiac or gluten intolerant.

Cross contamination is a big issue that must be avoided.

Accidentally ingesting gluten can make us very very ill.

You will find that you or your child may become hypersensitive to even trace amounts of gluten once you have been gluten free for a time.

Although there are some people who have no symptoms when they ingest gluten, that seems to be the exception rather than the norm. Avoiding cross contamination is no small task. Yet it absolutely must be done if your child is Celiac or gluten intolerant.

No taking buns off burgers and eating the meat.

No eating toppings off pizza and leaving the crust.

No occasional cookie....

These things would be causing gluten ingestion which will cause damage to Celiacs, or symptoms for the gluten intolerant.

It is hard to think about avoiding it entirely, but it is absolutely necessary for the health of your child if he/she is Celiac or gluten intolerant.

The kitchen would need to be cleaned of gluten, Teflon pots and pans that are scratched need to be replaced.

Medications and vitamins need to be checked.

The more meticulous you are the better the health of the gluten intolerant person.

Having said that, there are degrees of sensitivity to gluten.

But the science and general consensus shows that even trace amounts need to be avoided.

Best of luck

Happyw5 Explorer

I am allergic to wheat and gluten sensative, I avoid gluten completely. It has only been a month for me, but it is getting easier every day. If she has celiac or gluten intolerance you have to avoid it completely. It will be hard at first but once she realizes how good she starts feeling it will be worth it. I have 5 small kids and in my home we are all eating gluten free except our bread and a few snacks(because it is so expensive). They have not even noticed-they actually like everything better then I do. I make everything homemade now and it is getting very easy...I proudly made chicken strips from scratch that were amazing and I make awesome choc chip cookies!!! Good Luck--and you can do this!!!

anna34 Enthusiast

Thank you. I assumed that once one goes gluten-free they would become more and more sensitive to it and it will need to be eliminated completely.

ravenwoodglass Mentor

Thank you. I assumed that once one goes gluten-free they would become more and more sensitive to it and it will need to be eliminated completely.

Yes that does happen but that is the bodies way of protecting us. Celiac or gluten intolerant the body is forming antibodies that can attack any organ including the brain. Even if the biopsy is negative with positive blood tests she need to be strictly gluten free. You should also have all first degree relatives tested whether they seem to have symptoms or not. Some folks have organs other than the GI system effected first, like joints, gallbladder, liver etc. It might be helpful to make your home gluten free or at least restrict gluten items. Whole unprocessed naturally gluten free foods will help her heal the quickest.

Archived