This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Gluten Free For Two Days...withdrawals!?

Taylormw

Taylormw Newbie

Hello,

I have found (we think) that I am gluten intolerant. I tested negative for celiacs, but with all the symptoms I've had since I was little (and the number just keeps growing) it makes complete sense now.

Skipping all of that, I'll tell you I am 17 year old girl and i've been gluten free for two days (today is day 2)...however, especially today, I have felt extremely irritable you could say/frustrated I suppose...and there is no actual reason for me to feel this way. It's strange, I feel like I want to eat but I am actually not hungry at all. I haven't had stomach pain which is good.

Could this be from my new diet??? Will it subside soon?!

I'm super new at this.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

RachelisFacebook Apprentice

Hello,

I have found (we think) that I am gluten intolerant. I tested negative for celiacs, but with all the symptoms I've had since I was little (and the number just keeps growing) it makes complete sense now.

Skipping all of that, I'll tell you I am 17 year old girl and i've been gluten free for two days (today is day 2)...however, especially today, I have felt extremely irritable you could say/frustrated I suppose...and there is no actual reason for me to feel this way. It's strange, I feel like I want to eat but I am actually not hungry at all. I haven't had stomach pain which is good.

I'm super new at this.

Hello Dear!

You can absolutely be gluten intolerant without celiac. Also, there are false negatives all the time. However, that's not your answer.

What you're facing is completely normal. Your body realizes it can eat without being sick, and is craving nutrients. You'll level out with time, trust me. :)

• 2 weeks later...
kim:) Apprentice

Hello,

I am also 17 and I have been on the Gluten Free diet for around 6-7 years now. It honestly is not as bad as it seems, it just take a lot of getting use to. These days its of course hard to start randomly taking wheat out of your diet yet it is completely worth it. Just make sure that if it is making you feel better that you dont cheat yourself and eat wheat once in a while thinking that it is going to be ok. After a while wheat wont even really look that appealing and you wont even be craving anything like that. Ok so I admit that sometimes it would be lovely to pop down a poptart in the toaster or eat some cheeze-its but I dont and in the end it is ok :) If you ever want great recipies or anything just let me know because I would be glad to help you out. It can be a scary thing not knowing exactly what you can eat and ya the hunger is just a mental thing for now because everything looks "tempting" but it will pass with time.

Good Luck!

lizzy951 Newbie

i have been with it for 3-4 weeks and my stomach has felt alot better :)

• 1 month later...
MichaelJacksons#1Fan Newbie

Yes! The first week is the hardest. Basically, you don't have the nutrients you need to survive, but your body is saying you need more nutrients than usual. Bread has lots of essential nutrients and carbs for instant energy. What you need to do right now is try to eat things with the most nutrients. The things I would recommend are:

Chex Gluten-Free cereal (DELICIOUS!)

Brown Rice or Quinoa spaghetti with Ragu (Yay! gluten free :wub:)

Gluten free bread--Ener-g makes a great brown rice loaf!

Nature valley nut bars good treat

Look up recipes using Chex cereals easy to make and gluten free

Lastly, for a sweet tooth Betty Crocker gluten-free baking mixes.

I had the BIGGEST cravings for sweets at first and Betty Crocker got me through the first few weeks. I hope this helps! Congratulations on living a gluten-free life!

MichaelJacksons#1Fan =D

• 5 months later...
jessthirtytwo Apprentice

I had similar withdrawal symptoms as well! Your body has become dependent and almost addicted to gluten since you cannot tollerate it. This results in withdrawal-like symptoms. I was totally asymptomatic before I was diagnosed but as soon as I started eating gluten-free I had stomach pains every night and was very irritable and tired. My symptoms only lasted for a week. Hang in there, gluten-free life is so worth it :)

Jess

DanPatch Rookie

Hmm...Is it still possible to have this after 4-5 months? I was diagnosed in May of this year, and still I find myself eating things, while not necessarily being hungry...It's really strange for me to do this, because I have not in the past, and I kind of attributed it to stress or something.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

jessthirtytwo Apprentice

Hmm...Is it still possible to have this after 4-5 months? I was diagnosed in May of this year, and still I find myself eating things, while not necessarily being hungry...It's really strange for me to do this, because I have not in the past, and I kind of attributed it to stress or something.

yeah, i was diagnosed in may of this year as well and i have read that withdrawal can last anywhere from a couple weeks to a few months depending on the severity of your gluten intolerance. also, gluten free food does not contain as much fiber and nutrients as gluten rich food (bread, pasta). i definitely find myself really hungry even after i have just eaten. make sure you are getting enough fiber, that should help.

• 2 months later...
MirzahT Newbie

Hello,

I'm super new at this.

Yes it is from going gluten free, it should go away soon but somtimes it can take up to six weeks to start feeling normal-ish when i went off gluten i went through major withdrawl. just spend your days in bed and dont try to do much for about a week. sleep alot, and remember THIS TOO WILL PASS

kareng Grand Master

Yes it is from going gluten free, it should go away soon but somtimes it can take up to six weeks to start feeling normal-ish when i went off gluten i went through major withdrawl. just spend your days in bed and dont try to do much for about a week. sleep alot, and remember THIS TOO WILL PASS

You are respnding to someone from over a year ago. Hopefully, they have resolved this issue by now.

MirzahT Newbie

You are respnding to someone from over a year ago. Hopefully, they have resolved this issue by now.

oh oops

Archived