This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Looking For Gluten Free Black Beans

CantWeight

CantWeight Rookie

I just ate 365 Organic Refried Black Beans and am having a gluten reaction. The other day I used El Presido Organic Black Beans (something? bought at Whole Foods) and they seemed fine. I cannot seem to find a can of black beans labled gluten-free, can anyone help? I am off of a bunch more foods lately so this was a tasty way to have some carby protein. It is def the beans and def gluten reaction.

I'm dreading when I have to cut out more foods, I imagine a day when I won't be able to eat anything. I hate Celiac Disease. :angry:

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

celiac-mommy Collaborator

I buy S&W black beans as well as Bush's

Kelly777 Newbie

Some people on this site have said they couldn't eat canned beans until after they were gluten free for quite some time. They had to make their beans from scratch. I've had horrible problems with canned beans so the next time I will just make my own and add vinegar to take some of the gas effects away. It is probably better anyway.

gleegan Rookie

Actually, this topic has been on my mind a lot lately. I don't eat canned beans. However, I have even had a huge problem finding dry beans and lentils that don't make me nervous. Twice recently, I have bought lentils - dry, in a manufacturer's bag - and gotten home only to notice that the back of the bag says "may contain wheat and soy"! This is so unbelievably weird and annoying to me - I didn't even THINK about checking the bag for warnings of this kind. After all, it's just lentils in a bag! What need is there for wheat or soy? The first bag I bought was Goya; the second was organic lentils from Wegmans (which really shocked me). I plan on complaining to both of these companies. What's next - will apples have stickers on them that say "may contain wheat and soy"??? :angry:

tarnalberry Community Regular

There generally aren't facilities that ONLY PACKAGE LENTILS. Grains are small, they get places. Cleaning practices help, but unless you ban wheat from the whole facility, the equipment that harvests it, and everything else along the line, there's contamination risk. And if you want all the separate equipment, be prepared to spend about four times as much to pay for all of that.

I know it's darn annoying, but that's reality.

ravenwoodglass Mentor

There generally aren't facilities that ONLY PACKAGE LENTILS. Grains are small, they get places. Cleaning practices help, but unless you ban wheat from the whole facility, the equipment that harvests it, and everything else along the line, there's contamination risk. And if you want all the separate equipment, be prepared to spend about four times as much to pay for all of that.

I know it's darn annoying, but that's reality.

I agree. I just carefully rinse and sort them before I use. Most bags even say to sort to look for rocks. I have on occasion found a pebble but as of yet have not found a wheat grain. I appretiate the companies like Wegmans that tell us of the risk.

RideAllWays Enthusiast

I wasn't aware that normal canned black beans packed in water are not gluten free?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kareng Grand Master

I wasn't aware that normal canned black beans packed in water are not gluten free?

They are gluten-free. The op was looking for some that said "gluten-free". Then they started talking about dried lentils which it appears you have to wash and sort thru well.

sa1937 Community Regular

Not everything we buy has to say gluten-free on it or we'd be spending an enormous amount of time shopping and probably spend a lot more money than we already do. But we still have to read all those labels...

gleegan Rookie

I agree. I just carefully rinse and sort them before I use. Most bags even say to sort to look for rocks. I have on occasion found a pebble but as of yet have not found a wheat grain. I appretiate the companies like Wegmans that tell us of the risk.

I see the point that you and others have made. I hadn't thought about it that way. I guess I wish they would word it by saying either that wheat and soy are also packaged in the same factory or that they share the same equipment. When they say "may contain" - it sounded to me like they were purposefully throwing some in for some reason. That probably sounds paranoid :blink: but I am just so nervous of getting glutened. I actually do pay more for the Wegman's organic beans, so I wish that I could not have to worry at all when I'm making that investment. However, I am relieved by these comments and will simply rinse the beans well in the future...

• 1 year later...
Carla Spacher Rookie

La Preferida black beans are gluten free and they are their refried black beans are the best I've ever had! They are so good that I just ordered some on Walmart.com, an entire case of 12 cans for something like $21.20. The sales rep at a trade show, Natural Products Expo West, explained that because they can verify the source of the ingredients they promote them as gluten free, where as some of their other items they do not promote as gluten free.

jeanzdyn Apprentice

why not buy dry black beans? you just soak them overnight and then cook them. it's really easy.

I do not like food that comes out of cans. The only canned food I do eat is gluten free 'baked' beans.

lpellegr Collaborator

Because of shared packaging equipment, it's not uncommon to find a grain or two of something in a bag of dried beans, peas, or lentils, so it wouldn't surprise me if some of that made its way into canned beans. I will buy the dry beans/peas/lentils, pour them into a dish, sort through them to pick out anything that isn't supposed to be there, then repeatedly wash them under running water before cooking them. I tell myself that this will wash away any gluten dust, and most of the time it seems to be fine. I don't want to skip split pea soup for the rest of my life, so this is how I handle it.

RonSchon Explorer

From their website.....

Gluten-Free Products

Our products are gluten-free so everyone can enjoy them!

All BUSH'S products made after May, 2010 are gluten-free.

We have recently reformulated our Chili Beans products and our Chili Magic Chili Starter products to no longer contain wheat flour. The ingredient statements on these products now state Modified Corn Starch. Due to store inventory rotation and other elements beyond our control, we still urge you to check the labels before consuming these products if you have gluten restrictions.

We do use cornstarch in some of our products, but it does not contain gliadin gluten from wheat, barley, oats, or rye grains, which may cause adverse responses in persons suffering from Celiac Sprue. Any vinegar used in our products is corn-based and distilled.

love2travel Mentor

I have found oats and wheat kernels in dried lentils and beans unfortunately. :angry:

Juliebove Rising Star

I have found oats and wheat kernels in dried lentils and beans unfortunately. :angry:

I found a black bean in my popcorn the other day!

• 1 year later...
mgrant Newbie

I realize this is an old post, but I checked with S&W today because that's the brand I usually purchase.  According to customer service rep Barb Edwards, their black beans and garbanzo beans (what I was specifically inquiring about) are gluten-free.  At first she said they contained "no gluten ingredients" but after deeper questioning she informed me that S&W has a relatively new (early 2013) dedicated gluten free facility.  Additionally, she added that "all S&W beans manufactured by Fairbault Foods are gluten free."  Yay!

• 4 months later...
ConnieT Newbie

Beans are one of those foods that cause digestive problems in people who do not have Celiac. I think they are like oats....some people can tolerate them, and then there are those of us who probably will never eat them again. I just went through an "episode" after eating black beans-no gluten involved-I am only four months in to no gluten, and cannot tolerate anything that is hard to digest. :( I know someday that could change when things start to heal up a bit more.

BlessedMommy Rising Star

We eat lots of beans. I love enchiladas, beans and rice, hummus, garbanzos in my waffles, etc.

Great info on S & W! I think that I will start purchasing from them on the rare occasion when I want canned beans. (usually we do dried)

Archived