This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Ore Ida

Emilushka

Emilushka Contributor

Ore Ida has a gluten-free product list that is very long. I decided to try these tasty products, and after some careful testing I'm pretty sure the product list is both long and inaccurate. With the current severity of my symptoms I'm thinking it's more of a minor ingredient issue, maybe even cross-contamination due to same machinery or something similar. My guts definitely do NOT think Ore Ida is gluten-free, though. I am definitely responding to something.

The products I have tried and had trouble with: tater tots, zesty fries, fast food-style fries (the super skinny, crunchy ones).

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

sa1937 Community Regular

I've eaten Tater Tots without an issue, as well as their hash browns, although they're not something I eat frequently.

catarific Contributor

you may have developed a night shade sensitivity (potatoes, tomatoes, peppers). I cannot eat any gluten free potatoe products. Try eating a baked potatoe with nothing on it and see if you react to it. If so, then it is an intolerance.

Emilushka Contributor

I've actually been OK with other potatoes, as far as I can tell. It's specifically when I eat Ore Ida potato products that I get a reaction. But I will double-check again by eating a plain potato, just to be sure.

I sincerely hope I can keep eating tomatoes and peppers ... sheesh. If I couldn't eat those, I would definitely cry.

starrytrekchic Apprentice

I've also never had a problem with their tater tots or fries. Maybe you were feeling the lingering effects of a glutening when you started trying them? When I get a major gluten dose, I react to everything I eat for several days.

Emilushka Contributor

It was definitely not from a previous glutening and the Ore Ida fries were the only new thing I'd tried. I gave myself time off, then checked again and had the same results.

Dixiebell Contributor

Just a thought- Ore Ida has soy as an ingredient in their products. It could be you are reacting to that.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Emilushka Contributor

Just a thought- Ore Ida has soy as an ingredient in their products. It could be you are reacting to that.

I drink soy milk daily. I'm pretty clear on being able to tolerate soy, thankfully. Otherwise, what would I put in my coffee? Life would get complicated. ;-)

ETA: The more people weigh in, the more it sounds like something weird that only my body is doing. If nobody else is reacting to the Ore Ida products, there must be something else about them that's getting me. I'll keep my eyes on the nightshade family and also on soy ... any other ideas for stuff I might be missing as a non-gluten intolerance?

Ore Ida doesn't use dairy, do they? I didn't see any on the packaging, but I know I can't tolerate it ...

Darn210 Enthusiast

No prolems with Ore Ida here . . . but we probably only have had the hash browns, crinkle cuts and shoestring.

What about the pan that you are baking them on? Was it a former gluten pan? I ditched my (previous gluten) baking sheets because I couldn't get those baked on grease/oil marks off of them and I used those same pans for cookies and such.

Emilushka Contributor

What about the pan that you are baking them on? Was it a former gluten pan? I ditched my (previous gluten) baking sheets because I couldn't get those baked on grease/oil marks off of them and I used those same pans for cookies and such.

Also a good thought, but these are new pans with fresh tin foil put down on top of them with every use (my hubby is great about trying to minimize any possible cross contamination - he's not Celiac, but he's incredibly supportive and he hates to see me sick).

I got rid of the gluten pans too. I don't trust them.

gflooser Contributor

hmmm, sorry your reacting. i too eat ore ida at least once a week, sometimes twice. and they're just fine for me. good luck figuring it out!

Lisa Mentor

It might be a good thing to contact the company directly and talk to some one with knowledge of their labeling and product information.

I believe there was a labeling issue/error, years ago....that was corrected. And, my memory is not certain it was Ore Ida.

kareng Grand Master

We use the plain uncoated fries with no trouble. Looked at the ones in the freezer and they said they have annatto. Not sure if all the types do. Its a seed to make things yellow. I have heard of several people who react badly to it. It is not gluten.

Wenmin Enthusiast

I use Ore Ida products on a weekly basis. Hash browns, crinkle cut fries, tator tots, etc. Have never had a problem with them.

Wenmin

Emilushka Contributor

So it's definitely not a gluten issue! I wonder what it is, then? Now I just feel confused and like maybe my immune system has finally gone completely bonkers.

Had potatoes for lunch today (not Ore Ida - just normal ones) and we'll see how that goes. Maybe it's anything with potato. I'll let you know tomorrow. So far, no reaction.

Maybe it's the annato! That's one I hadn't considered. Annato vs nightshades vs soy at this point.

kareng Grand Master

So it's definitely not a gluten issue! I wonder what it is, then? Now I just feel confused and like maybe my immune system has finally gone completely bonkers.

Had potatoes for lunch today (not Ore Ida - just normal ones) and we'll see how that goes. Maybe it's anything with potato. I'll let you know tomorrow. So far, no reaction.

Maybe it's the annato! That's one I hadn't considered. Annato vs nightshades vs soy at this point.

Ain't this food thing a b$$$$ ! :ph34r:

Emilushka Contributor

Ain't this food thing a b$$$$ ! :ph34r:

Yeah. Seriously. And I thought I had it all figured out in terms of what my body tolerated and didn't! Phooey.

eatmeat4good Enthusiast

Annato is something those who are sensitive to salicylates react to. Are you sensitive to or allergic to aspirin, or salicylic acid? Annato is also in many yellow colored foods. Like yellow cheeses. Do you react to them?

I reacted when I ate the Ore Ida Tots, but I quickly discovered it was the soy oil for me. So soy went out of my diet. I reacted to other foods with soy also.

Emilushka Contributor

Annato is something those who are sensitive to salicylates react to. Are you sensitive to or allergic to aspirin, or salicylic acid? Annato is also in many yellow colored foods. Like yellow cheeses. Do you react to them?

I reacted when I ate the Ore Ida Tots, but I quickly discovered it was the soy oil for me. So soy went out of my diet. I reacted to other foods with soy also.

I honestly haven't tried any aspirin in years, so I don't know about sensitivity to it. I haven't been able to eat dairy since I first got diagnosed with Celiac, so I don't know about yellow cheeses. From my experience it's been any and all cheeses, but I wonder if I just wasn't being scientific enough with my testing of cheeses ... I'll consider that when I give dairy a try again on my one-year gluten-free anniversary. Thanks for the yellow cheeses tip. You could potentially save me from giving up all cheese forever (WHICH WOULD BE AWFUL).

At this point, annatto is the biggest suspect because I had potatoes yesterday (homemade, fresh) and didn't have a problem. We have some hash browns from Ore Ida that do not contain annatto, so we're going to make those tonight and see if I am OK with them. If I am, we probably have our winner: annatto! If I'm not, then I'm back to total confusion.

I'll keep the thing about aspirin in mind too for the future. Maybe I should try taking it just to see if I respond.

sa1937 Community Regular

My tummy says no to aspirin...but I can eat Ore-Ida products. Just recently I've been eating a bit more cheese (like shredded cheddar, which has annatto in it).

modiddly16 Enthusiast

I eat Ore Ida products regularly and haven't had any issues either, I'm wondering if it is a nightshade thing! I hope you figure it out soon!

Emilushka Contributor

ANSWER: annatto intolerance

Which I NEVER would have come up with if I didn't have the help of the forum, so thank you a zillion million trillion times for that!

I can eat the Ore Ida hash browns (no annatto) without any problems, so it's not just an Ore Ida product issue. I can eat normal potatoes (homemade, cooked from scratch, fried) without any problem, so it's not a fried food or potato issue. I can eat peppers and tomatoes without any problems.

Definitely the annatto. What a weirdo intolerance.

sa1937 Community Regular

Glad you found it. This disease is such a puzzle...about as predictable as the weather.

T.H. Community Regular

Oh goodness, and that's a tricky one!

I have a friend whose daughter has an allergy to annatto, too. I'll pass on the tidbit I remember from conversations with her: anything that's colored, you'll want to check out. You'll probably have to make a lot of phone calls, because you will have the following 'fun' issue to deal with: In the United States, annatto extract is listed as a color additive

Emilushka Contributor

Sorry to bombard you, but my friend had SO much trouble for such a long time, because she didn't know that they didn't have to label the annatto. :-(

Good luck, and glad you found out the reason for your issue!

shauna

Thank you for the links! I've basically decided to eat as many "whole foods" and home-cooked foods as possible. I do well when I avoid processed foods. Fewer sneaky ingredients that way. I can't think of any other way to handle it without getting sick often, and I hate feeling ill.

Archived