This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Eating Too Well

NancyL

NancyL Explorer

Ok, I've found way too many ways to be food happy and be gluten free. I was thinking I'd go on gluten free and be able to drop a few pounds but that ain't gonna happen! I do not feel deprived of anything and am eating like a queen. This queen would love to drop 50 pounds but at my current rate of delicious food consumption it's only going to get worse, not better!

Why is ice cream gluten free? This morning I made migas for breakfast (without the flour tortillas) and OH MY, it was SO good!

The good news is... I think I can safely post this and I hope it doesn't jinx anything -- gluten free has given me more energy AND my gi issues are abating!

eta: If anyone is new to gluten free (and feeling deprived) and wants to know what I'm eating that is making me so happy, just let me know.. I'll share!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Roda Rising Star

Your post made me smile. I hear what you are saying. I gained weight after I went gluten free also. I didn't feel deprived, just inconvienienced at times. :P

GFinDC Veteran

That's great that you are finding things you enjoy eating. You may find that your appetite for food diminishes some over time on the gluten-free diet. That might happen if your intestines heal and you begin absorbing nutrients (vitamins/minerals) that you were low on before. No guarantee that will happen to you, but it could. I ate a lot more food before I went gluten free. Then after I was gluten-free a while I found I was less hungry than before. I did actually put on a little weight, but I didn't want to eat as much either. If you follow a similar pattern that change might take a little while to happen. It wasn't instantaneous for me, like several months or so into the gluten-free diet.

• 2 weeks later...
etta694 Explorer

This is exactly me too... I feel better, satisfied with foods but... when I eat I don't get sick so I eat happily...and more. I and haven't lost, that's for sure.

• 2 weeks later...
debnak Newbie

I would love to know what you've been eating that makes you so happy :)

aeraen Apprentice

Another one who is perfectly satisfied with the food choices I have while gluten-free.

However, like GFinDC mentioned, after two years now, I am finally noticing a loss in appetite... and in me that is a GOOD thing. ;) I figure I am finally just begining to absorb all the nutrients in my food, where before I still wanted to eat, even when my stomach was full.

I'm also less addicted to sugar, which I figured was my body's way of getting whatever energy it could, where it could.

Although I haven't hit super-model status yet, my clothes are a bit looser lately, and I have more energy to be more active, so I fully intend to allow this "downward spiral" ;) to continue.

NancyL Explorer

I would love to know what you've been eating that makes you so happy :)

Sorry for my slow response, I've been M.I.A.

I make miga's for breakfast (scrambled eggs with tortilla strips, hash browns, cheddar cheese and salsa) YUMMMMM

Cinnamon flavored Chex cereal

gluten-free blueberry waffles

Tuna on toasted gluten-free bread (piled high!)

Pepperoni, black olive gluten-free pizza (a local chain makes an AWESOME one)

Sliced apples baked in the oven with gluten-free fake butter and cinnamon

gluten-free Chocolate bars

gluten-free popcorn

Marina sauce with potato/basil gnocchi

Jason's Deli Fire Roasted Chicken Soup

Crunchy beef or chicken tacos

Fried potatoes

Baked potatoes with Hormel chili and cheese and sometimes I add barbecued chicken pieces to it too YUMMMY

GL Double Chocolate cookies

Lot's of fresh fruits and veggies

Ice Cream with chocolate topping

If you need brand names on anything I listed, just let me know! These are all of my "comfort foods" that I've been able to duplicate in a gluten-free version. I'm still missing flour tortillas horribly. If I could just find a way to have burritos, wraps and soft tacos, I'd be a 100% happy camper!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

GFinDC Veteran

Whole Foods has brown rice tortillas from Food for Life. Trader Joe's has their own brand of brown rice tortillas.

They work best if you rinse them with water first and then microwave for 15 seconds or so to soften them. Otherwise they tend to crack when folded.

• 2 weeks later...
Karla01 Apprentice

Whole Foods has brown rice tortillas from Food for Life. Trader Joe's has their own brand of brown rice tortillas.

They work best if you rinse them with water first and then microwave for 15 seconds or so to soften them. Otherwise they tend to crack when folded.

I just bought some today to try for the first time. I will try the water and microwave. I can't wait, I hope they are good.

• 4 weeks later...
OneStarTattoo Newbie

Re: tortillas I like the whole foods one much better but I will try the rinse and nuke method. :)

GFinDC Veteran

I have never had a problem with the FFL tortillas, but I got glutened by their bread this week and have decided not to use any of their products now. Just FYI.

bridgetm Enthusiast

I initially lost about 30 pounds from the diet-change which was great; nothing else had worked. But now most of my calories are coming from carbs and I've gained about 20 back in the last two or three months. I have trouble digesting veggies and my go-to safe fruit is bananas with apples and grapes for safe variety. Bananas just add to the carbo-loading I get from Chex, bread, rice, etc. I've been trying to increase the protein but it can be difficult to do every day. It's hard to keep it balanced at school (tiny dorm fridge with no freezer and a shared kitchen) but I'll be home in a few days and hope to return to the basics and maybe drop this weight again before I'm laid up on the couch in June for knee surgery.

BurningItOff Newbie

Be careful guys!

I was a tad over 300lbs. High blood pressure. Couldn't walk up stairs. Seriously, not a good a life. Turns out I also have celiac. Why not throw more problems at me, right?

Ugg.

I can tell you that I have cut WAY back on carbohydrates. Including fruit. 9 months and I've lost 65lbs and never felt better.

There are SO many gluten free foods. Whole Foods just makes me drool. But just because something is gluten free DOES NOT mean it's healthy!!! It took me a while to realize it.

I'll give up cookies for another 65lbs loss ANYDAY!

OneStarTattoo Newbie

Be careful guys!

I was a tad over 300lbs. High blood pressure. Couldn't walk up stairs. Seriously, not a good a life. Turns out I also have celiac. Why not throw more problems at me, right?

Ugg.

I can tell you that I have cut WAY back on carbohydrates. Including fruit. 9 months and I've lost 65lbs and never felt better.

There are SO many gluten free foods. Whole Foods just makes me drool. But just because something is gluten free DOES NOT mean it's healthy!!! It took me a while to realize it.

I'll give up cookies for another 65lbs loss ANYDAY!

Burningitoff,....Way to go! Congratulations! And thank you for the reminder.

BurningItOff Newbie

Burningitoff,....Way to go! Congratulations! And thank you for the reminder.

Thanks OneStar :)

Archived