This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Flourless Chocolate Cake

sa1937

sa1937 Community Regular

I made this cake and my friends loved it (and wanted the recipe). It's so easy and better than one I made a couple of years ago. I didn't have espresso powder but added a teaspoon of vanilla instead. I used regular Hershey's cocoa powder. Nice thing is that I always have the ingredients on hand except the cream. I refrigerated it overnight and it makes 12 servings (all from an 8" round cake pan). I think it would be good garnished with fresh raspberries.

Open Original Shared Link

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

freeatlast Collaborator

I made this cake and my friends loved it (and wanted the recipe). It's so easy and better than one I made a couple of years ago. I didn't have espresso powder but added a teaspoon of vanilla instead. I used regular Hershey's cocoa powder. Nice thing is that I always have the ingredients on hand except the cream. I refrigerated it overnight and it makes 12 servings (all from an 8" round cake pan). I think it would be good garnished with fresh raspberries.

That looks wonderful, Sylvia! I made one end of Dec. that came out more like a flourless choc. brownie. It was fabulous. Yours looks like a real cake :)

sa1937 Community Regular

That looks wonderful, Sylvia! I made one end of Dec. that came out more like a flourless choc. brownie. It was fabulous. Yours looks like a real cake :)

It was good and also rich...but a flourless chocolate brownie sounds good, too!

Well, chocolate anything is good. :D

cassP Contributor

omg! thanku! that looks DELISH.. i will definitely make it :P

bincongo Contributor

-------------------------

If you don't have espresso powder I think instant coffee will work. It looks so good that I am going to make it this week.

GFreeMO Proficient

Thanks for posting! Looks great, I can't wait to make this.

sa1937 Community Regular

I told my daughter about this recipe (she also has celiac) and she's going to make it for her hubby's birthday in March. It's nice that something that tastes so good is also gluten-free.

I don't see why instant coffee wouldn't work instead of espresso...I don't have any of that either and didn't feel like buying something I had no use for otherwise.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Diane-in-FL Explorer

That looks utterly sinful, Sylvia. I bookmarked the page of course! :P

AngieH Newbie

I think this cake will even impress my mother in law!

Angie.

jerseyangel Proficient

Ooh--that looks fab! I'm definitely trying it--it kinda looks like it would taste like PF Changs Chocolate Dome. :D

BethJ Rookie

This looks wonderful! Thank you!

Chrissyb Enthusiast

This sounds great and I have been dieing for something like this, but I can not do dairy what would I use for the heavy cream.

sa1937 Community Regular

This sounds great and I have been dieing for something like this, but I can not do dairy what would I use for the heavy cream.

Hmmm...don't know. What about the rest of the ingredients (chocolate)? I guess you could probably substitute Earth Balance for the butter.

For the topping, how about a raspberry sauce with fresh raspberries as a garnish? Or "ice cream"...like So Delicious or possibly a dairy-free whipped topping?

jerseyangel Proficient

I would think you could use any milk sub like almond milk, maybe? I'd start with a little less than the recipe calls for and see how it thickens.

• 1 month later...
cassP Contributor

if any of u guys are still checking this- i wanted to share with u i recently made this:

and it was DELISHHHHHHHHHH

i only altered slightly- i added a heaping tsp of maple syrup, and i sprinkled powdered sugar on top instead of cocoa powder.

YUMMMMM :P

love2travel Mentor

if any of u guys are still checking this- i wanted to share with u i recently made this:

and it was DELISHHHHHHHHHH

i only altered slightly- i added a heaping tsp of maple syrup, and i sprinkled powdered sugar on top instead of cocoa powder.

YUMMMMM :P

I find her recipes to be amongst the best in my opinion. Some of her recipes are a little different from the usual boring dull themes which is sooooooo refreshing.

Try her coconut layer cake, too - it is brilliant! :)

ECUmom3 Explorer

I'm not a baker, but I would love to make this cake (the Flourless Chocolate Cake first mentioned in this thread) to carry with me and have at my son's wedding, and also at the Rehearsal dinner. Do you think that this cake would freeze well? Thanks.

Tina B Apprentice

I'm not a baker, but I would love to make this cake (the Flourless Chocolate Cake first mentioned in this thread) to carry with me and have at my son's wedding, and also at the Rehearsal dinner. Do you think that this cake would freeze well? Thanks.

Here is an even fancier one Ive been making for passover every year. It is a huge hit and freezes well. Once chilled I place wax paper over the top. Place the cake on a cakeboard with doily, wrap in foil and place in a 2 gallon ziploc bag. I make it every year, freeze it and then cart it 200 miles to the inlaws in a cooler and it is always a hit. To dress it up even more, melt some white chocolate and drizzle over the top. The white against the very dark chocolate is a beautiful presentation.

Flourless Chocolate Cake

from the William Sonoma guide to Good cooking

10 oz. bittersweet chocolate, chopped

3/4 cup butter cut into pieces

2 tsp. vanilla extract

5 eggs, at room temperature

1 cup sugar

Position a rack in the middle of the oven and preheat to 3500F. Butter a 9

sa1937 Community Regular

I've never frozen it as it didn't last that long. It is by far the easiet Flourless Chocolate Cake recipe I've used. I will be making it for Easter but know I won't have any left to test freeze it.

When is the wedding? Can you possibly make one and test it (or freeze a few pieces)? Or send an email to Open Original Shared Link and I'm sure you'll get a response.

ECUmom3 Explorer

I've never frozen it as it didn't last that long. It is by far the easiet Flourless Chocolate Cake recipe I've used. I will be making it for Easter but know I won't have any left to test freeze it.

When is the wedding? Can you possibly make one and test it (or freeze a few pieces)? Or send an email to Open Original Shared Link and I'm sure you'll get a response.

Thank you both for your response. The wedding is May 7th, and it's about 3 hrs. from where we live. I know that there will be little to nothing there that I will be able to eat (at the Reception), so I'm trying to plan ahead(meals, etc.). I'm still very new to all this; not quit 3 months since diagnosis. We will be there for 3 nts. and staying in a hotel. Do any of you have suggestions on how to plan for breakfast, lunch and dinner in this situation? I contacted several restaurants yesterday by e-mail, but have yet to hear from any of them. The wedding is in New Bern,NC, so not many choices on places to eat; however, they do have an Outback. I'm normally a healthy eater, have to be due to Insulin Resistance and on meds.

I don't usually eat many desserts, but I would like to have a little something at the Rehearsal dinner, and at the wedding. I'm going to make a test cake today, so I will defininately freeze a few slices and see how that works. Thanks so much for the replies and for your help with these additional questions. It is greatly appreciated.

ECUmom3 Explorer

Here is the response from King Arthur Flour regarding freezing the Flourless Chocolate Cake:

Thank you for your email. Yes flourless chocolate cake can be frozen.

However the texture changes dramatically. The defrosted cake will be

much firmer and dense in texture.

Please contact me if I may be of further assistance.

Regards,

Frank | the baker's hot line | bakers@kingarthurflour.com | 800 827 6836

Darn210 Enthusiast

Resulting in . . . ? . . . Fudge? . . . Fudge is good :P

sa1937 Community Regular

Thank you both for your response. The wedding is May 7th, and it's about 3 hrs. from where we live. I know that there will be little to nothing there that I will be able to eat (at the Reception), so I'm trying to plan ahead(meals, etc.). I'm still very new to all this; not quit 3 months since diagnosis. We will be there for 3 nts. and staying in a hotel. Do any of you have suggestions on how to plan for breakfast, lunch and dinner in this situation? I contacted several restaurants yesterday by e-mail, but have yet to hear from any of them. The wedding is in New Bern,NC, so not many choices on places to eat; however, they do have an Outback. I'm normally a healthy eater, have to be due to Insulin Resistance and on meds.

I don't usually eat many desserts, but I would like to have a little something at the Rehearsal dinner, and at the wedding. I'm going to make a test cake today, so I will defininately freeze a few slices and see how that works. Thanks so much for the replies and for your help with these additional questions. It is greatly appreciated.

That's not too bad a drive then. For where to eat, why don't you post a message under the Gluten-Free Travel section asking about restaurants in Bern, NC. You might get some response there from people who are not reading this thread.

Let us know how the cake turns out. I chilled mine in the fridge overnight before tasting it the next day. My friends are still talking about that cake...two months after I served it. I can't say that about some of the other gluten-free desserts I've made. :unsure:

Here is the response from King Arthur Flour regarding freezing the Flourless Chocolate Cake:

Please contact me if I may be of further assistance.

Regards,

Frank | the baker's hot line | bakers@kingarthurflour.com | 800 827 6836

Hmmm...dense. Wonder if that means just 'more yummy'. There is no flour in it so I guess only the eggs, sugar, chocolate and cocoa add the structure. You'll have to let us know what it's like after it's been frozen. Now I'm hungry for it. Will have to wait until Sunday.

sa1937 Community Regular

I'm going to make a test cake today, so I will defininately freeze a few slices and see how that works.

So how did the cake turn out? And did it freeze well? Inquiring minds want to know. :D

ECUmom3 Explorer

Sorry, I don't get to check this site very often. My mom has been having heart problems, so I have to take her to her doctor's appointments.

The cake turned out well, however, VERY rich for someone who doesn't eat a lot of sweets! I froze the majority of the cake, but haven't checked to see how it tastes afterwards. I'll let you know when I do. Thanks so much for the help.

Archived