This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Barium Meal Ft ?

tennisman

tennisman Contributor

Hi , have many people had the BariumMeal FT small intestine test ? I have to do the test next month , but don't really understand what it involves. The letter I received only says about drinking Barium and having an x-ray.

Yet when I looked online it says thee drink is horrible and it ended up making there stomach pain a lot worse. I even read somewhere the Barium sets like concrete in your stomach. I really don't want to do the test if it's going to make my stomach worse.

In the last 2 months I have already had an endoscopy and ultrasound and don't really understand why the doctor is making me do the Barium test. What exactly do they look for in the Barium test ?

Also is Barium and moviprep gluten free ?

I also read you have to move about and lay on your stomach etc. I have back problems and am kinda worried if my back will be ok , and I can't lay on my stomach or it makes the pain a lot worse .

Thanks

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

GlutenFreeManna Rising Star

Hi , have many people had the BariumMeal FT small intestine test ? I have to do the test next month , but don't really understand what it involves. The letter I received only says about drinking Barium and having an x-ray.

Yet when I looked online it says thee drink is horrible and it ended up making there stomach pain a lot worse. I even read somewhere the Barium sets like concrete in your stomach. I really don't want to do the test if it's going to make my stomach worse.

In the last 2 months I have already had an endoscopy and ultrasound and don't really understand why the doctor is making me do the Barium test. What exactly do they look for in the Barium test ?

I also read you have to move about and lay on your stomach etc. I have back problems and am kinda worried if my back will be ok , and I can't lay on my stomach or it makes the pain a lot worse .

Thanks

Your doctor didn't tell you why they are doing a barium test? There are lots of different things they could be looking for like blockages, a hernia, and certain diseases that would show up on the x-ray. My husband had one to check for diverticulitis. The stuff you have to swallow IS nasty. My husband kissed me later after his test and I was sick and had the taste of the stuff in my mouth for days just from that kiss. If I were you I would call the doctor and find out what they are looking for and how urgent it is that you have this test. There are some very serious illnesses that they detect with the barium swallow, so you should find out what your doctor suspects before you just dismiss having the test. If you are having a lot of stomach pain it's probably better to have the tests than to wait until it's more serious.

ravenwoodglass Mentor

Your doctor will have to order a gluten free barium. It will be clear and do double check with the Xray tech before you drink it. The clear stuff is not too tough to drink but if the barium is not gluten free and you are a diagnosed celiac it will make you ill. Been there, done that. The prep to clean you out you should check on when you pick up the script for it. The pharmacist should be able to check for you. I usually call the company myself after I get the script home to double check. Most of the contact numbers can be found if you enter the company name and the words contact info in a search engine.

CarolinaKip Community Regular

Thanks

I had this test done in October. My doc was looking for anything else that could be wrong other than Celiac. I was still bloating etc. The stuff you drink is bad tasting, however, I was informed it was gluten free. I didn't get sick from drinking it, although it did go straight through me. They took xrays (I was on my back )before drinking and then a hour afterwards. Besides drinking the stuff, this was one of the better test I've been through. Best wishes!

jenngolightly Contributor

Thanks

This is one of the worst tests I've had. Barium was so awful to drink. My doc was looking for a hernia when he did the test. I might have thought it was awful because I have a really small stomach and they made me drink a ton of the stuff - I had it done pre-celiac diagnosis in 1998. I felt so bloated after. It's really chalky and thick. Kinda like a really think milkshake.

Monklady123 Collaborator

This is one of the worst tests I've had. Barium was so awful to drink. My doc was looking for a hernia when he did the test. I might have thought it was awful because I have a really small stomach and they made me drink a ton of the stuff - I had it done pre-celiac diagnosis in 1998. I felt so bloated after. It's really chalky and thick. Kinda like a really think milkshake.

Is this the stuff they call "banana smoothie"? hahahahahahahahahaha -- ahem, sorry. Banana smoothie it was not! But -- if it's the same stuff it really wasn't too bad. I had to drink two bottles of it --smaller bottles, like the size of a single-serving juice or something like that. This was for a CT scan. If that's the same thing, then it's not awful.

If it isn't the same one, then just ignore me. :P

bonnie blue Explorer

I just had that test a week ago, no it is not pleasant to drink, but better then the prep for a colonoscopy! I did have some stomach discomfort after, just drink lots of water. On the bright side, no needles and no pain! Wishing you luck with the test!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

tennisman Contributor

Your doctor didn't tell you why they are doing a barium test? There are lots of different things they could be looking for like blockages, a hernia, and certain diseases that would show up on the x-ray. My husband had one to check for diverticulitis. The stuff you have to swallow IS nasty. My husband kissed me later after his test and I was sick and had the taste of the stuff in my mouth for days just from that kiss. If I were you I would call the doctor and find out what they are looking for and how urgent it is that you have this test. There are some very serious illnesses that they detect with the barium swallow, so you should find out what your doctor suspects before you just dismiss having the test. If you are having a lot of stomach pain it's probably better to have the tests than to wait until it's more serious.

Not really he just said we will look at your stomach with an x-ray this was at the start of the appointment. Near the end he said I have similar symptoms to Crohn's and Colitis maybe that is what the test is for. I have been having stomach pain for almost 3 years now doctors say it's not caused by celiac disease. Last year they did an endoscopy just to have a look around nothing was found except inflammation which is apparently normal ? So i'm thinking this could be a waste of time like the endoscopy. As I still think my problem is food intolerences. The drink sounds horrible. Thanks for the advice :)

tennisman Contributor

Your doctor will have to order a gluten free barium. It will be clear and do double check with the Xray tech before you drink it. The clear stuff is not too tough to drink but if the barium is not gluten free and you are a diagnosed celiac it will make you ill. Been there, done that. The prep to clean you out you should check on when you pick up the script for it. The pharmacist should be able to check for you. I usually call the company myself after I get the script home to double check. Most of the contact numbers can be found if you enter the company name and the words contact info in a search engine.

Thanks for the advice :) I received the prep in the post today it's called moviprep . I will have to try contacting the people who make moviprep. Thanks :)

tennisman Contributor

I had this test done in October. My doc was looking for anything else that could be wrong other than Celiac. I was still bloating etc. The stuff you drink is bad tasting, however, I was informed it was gluten free. I didn't get sick from drinking it, although it did go straight through me. They took xrays (I was on my back )before drinking and then a hour afterwards. Besides drinking the stuff, this was one of the better test I've been through. Best wishes!

Did your doc find anything ? That's good the drink is gluten-free . I'm glad it was a good test for you. Thanks for the info :)

tennisman Contributor

Sorry to hear you had a bad test. The drink sounds really bad.

tennisman Contributor

Is this the stuff they call "banana smoothie"? hahahahahahahahahaha -- ahem, sorry. Banana smoothie it was not! But -- if it's the same stuff it really wasn't too bad. I had to drink two bottles of it --smaller bottles, like the size of a single-serving juice or something like that. This was for a CT scan. If that's the same thing, then it's not awful.

If it isn't the same one, then just ignore me. :P

I'm not sure what a CT scan is lol , my letter just says x-rays and it takes a few hours , it sounds like similar test especially the awful drink part.

tennisman Contributor

I just had that test a week ago, no it is not pleasant to drink, but better then the prep for a colonoscopy! I did have some stomach discomfort after, just drink lots of water. On the bright side, no needles and no pain! Wishing you luck with the test!

Thanks for the info and advice :) 1 website I read said they gave you a muscle injection to relax the stomach , so i'm glad to hear there were no needles . I don't mind needles but i'm glad they are not needed for the test :)

tennisman Contributor

After posting my original message I read on a few different websites that the test can be done with milk instead of Barium does anyone know if that is right ?

Roda Rising Star

I am assuming you are talking about a small bowel series or also called a small bowel follow through test? If you are I'm not sure why they gave you the moviprep. Usually that kind of prep is used for colonoscopy or a barium enema x-ray but hey, every place has there own preps. A small bowel series is a test to evaulate the small bowel. You will probably be instructed not to eat or drink anything and asked not to chew gum or smoke after midnight. You could always go dressed in a t-shirt and slacks that have no metal on them at all to make things easier, otherwise they will have you change into a gown. You need to be aware that the test can take several hours. The technologist will take you into an x-ray room and take a history and a x-ray of your abdomen. Then you will be asked to drink about 2 cups of barium (the thick kind, sorry) to fill up your stomach and to be able to see your small bowel on the x-ray. They tech will take x-rays of your abdomen (you will lie on your back for the abdomen x-ray) at timed intervalls (timed from when you start drinking the barium) usually around every 20-30 minutes. In between the x-ray you will be able to get up and walk around (this helps to aid in the movement of the barium). With each x-ray they take they show it to the radiologist and they can tell how far the barium has traveled. When the barium reaches the end of the small intestine and enters the colon you will be asked to go into the x-ray room and the radiologist will take images of different areas with a fluoroscope. You may have to move around in different positions for this part since the bowel loops overlap. They may press on your abdomen with a paddle with a balloon on the end to aid in seeing the junction between the small bowel and colon better. Barium may cause constipation so after your procedure it is recommended that you drink plenty of fluids and eat plenty of fiber to aid in the passage of the barium meal. You may notice a lighter color or whitish color to your bowel movements for a few days.

Contact the x-ray department where you are scheduled for your exam and tell them you are gluten free. Ask them to contact the manufacturer of the barium they use to see if it is gluten free. If not they need to get you some that is. The clear stuff that raven was talking about sounds like the water based ct contrast and usually is not routinely used for smallbowel tests. The only times it is used is if there is a contraindication to barium such as post surgery, suspected perforation, small bowel obstruction or checking on gastric tubes. I'm sure there are other reasons, but that is what comes off the top of my head at the moment.

Roda Rising Star

After posting my original message I read on a few different websites that the test can be done with milk instead of Barium does anyone know if that is right ?

Unless they are mixing the barium with milk then I would say no. Barium is either reconstituted with water or comes premixed. Milk will not show up on an x-ray.

ravenwoodglass Mentor

Contact the x-ray department where you are scheduled for your exam and tell them you are gluten free. Ask them to contact the manufacturer of the barium they use to see if it is gluten free. If not they need to get you some that is. The clear stuff that raven was talking about sounds like the water based ct contrast and usually is not routinely used for smallbowel tests. The only times it is used is if there is a contraindication to barium such as post surgery, suspected perforation, small bowel obstruction or checking on gastric tubes. I'm sure there are other reasons, but that is what comes off the top of my head at the moment.

The thick form of barium is usually not gluten free. I have had two scans since I was finally diagnosed and they do, as she said, have gluten free barium. It is clear and with mine they mixed it with cranberry juice. I didn't have the horrible aftereffects that I have had with the thick gluteny barium that I had been given before. With one test I didn't even make it out of the hospital before I passed it painfully in the closest restroom. I did have one tech at the first exam argue with me that thick mix wouldn't make anyone sick but I insisted she check the doctors request and she came back with the thinner, gluten free form and apologized. Said she missed it when she read the orders. So if you are celiac and need the follow thorough tests make sure it is noted that the barium need to be gluten free.

tennisman Contributor

I am assuming you are talking about a small bowel series or also called a small bowel follow through test? If you are I'm not sure why they gave you the moviprep. Usually that kind of prep is used for colonoscopy or a barium enema x-ray but hey, every place has there own preps. A small bowel series is a test to evaulate the small bowel. You will probably be instructed not to eat or drink anything and asked not to chew gum or smoke after midnight. You could always go dressed in a t-shirt and slacks that have no metal on them at all to make things easier, otherwise they will have you change into a gown. You need to be aware that the test can take several hours. The technologist will take you into an x-ray room and take a history and a x-ray of your abdomen. Then you will be asked to drink about 2 cups of barium (the thick kind, sorry) to fill up your stomach and to be able to see your small bowel on the x-ray. They tech will take x-rays of your abdomen (you will lie on your back for the abdomen x-ray) at timed intervalls (timed from when you start drinking the barium) usually around every 20-30 minutes. In between the x-ray you will be able to get up and walk around (this helps to aid in the movement of the barium). With each x-ray they take they show it to the radiologist and they can tell how far the barium has traveled. When the barium reaches the end of the small intestine and enters the colon you will be asked to go into the x-ray room and the radiologist will take images of different areas with a fluoroscope. You may have to move around in different positions for this part since the bowel loops overlap. They may press on your abdomen with a paddle with a balloon on the end to aid in seeing the junction between the small bowel and colon better. Barium may cause constipation so after your procedure it is recommended that you drink plenty of fluids and eat plenty of fiber to aid in the passage of the barium meal. You may notice a lighter color or whitish color to your bowel movements for a few days.

I'm not sure really , my appointment letter just says Barium meal and ft. My doctor said the test would look at my small intestines. He said I need to clean my bowels out for the test , on my letter it says I need to take moviprep at 4pm and am only allowed to drink water for the rest of the day. Thanks for the advice on clothing. Thanks for explaining how the test works :) My doctor said the test will take 3 hours now I understand how it takes so long. I will drink lots of water after , a few years ago I had a scan where radiation was injected into me and I ended up drinking 11 pints of water that day to try and get the radiation out lol.

I will contact the x-ray department , I'm am also going to try and see my gp doctor and say i'm nervous about the test and see if she thinks the test will be helpful or not. I have read so many stories how Barium tests ended up making the patients stomach problems worse and it's put me off plus I don't like the sound of the moviprep and Barium drinks lol. Thanks again for the info and advice :)

tennisman Contributor

Unless they are mixing the barium with milk then I would say no. Barium is either reconstituted with water or comes premixed. Milk will not show up on an x-ray.

Open Original Shared Link This is where I read about the Milk instead of Barium. It sounds interesting.

Roda Rising Star

Open Original Shared Link This is where I read about the Milk instead of Barium. It sounds interesting.

Interesting article. I can see how that would work for a CT scan as I have given patients water for example for a CT scan of the pancreas. It helps distend the stomach. Unfortunately this method seems to work for only CT exams and will not help you for regular barium x-rays.

tennisman Contributor

Interesting article. I can see how that would work for a CT scan as I have given patients water for example for a CT scan of the pancreas. It helps distend the stomach. Unfortunately this method seems to work for only CT exams and will not help you for regular barium x-rays.

Cool , shame it doesn't work for Barium . Are you a doctor ? Also is it ok if I ask you a few questions about Barium ?

Roda Rising Star

Cool , shame it doesn't work for Barium . Are you a doctor ? Also is it ok if I ask you a few questions about Barium ?

I've been an x-ray/ct technologist for 16 years, and sure you can ask a few questions. If I don't know the answers I will certainly try to find out. There is barium for CT and barium for regular x-rays. The difference is the concentrations.

tennisman Contributor

I've been an x-ray/ct technologist for 16 years, and sure you can ask a few questions. If I don't know the answers I will certainly try to find out. There is barium for CT and barium for regular x-rays. The difference is the concentrations.

Thanks. Would the Barium meal show inflammation in the small intestine if there was any ? Also I have read online Barium can set like concrete in the stomach is that true. Last thing was I heard Barium can make stomach problems worse and cause other problems to the body is that right ? Thanks again :)

Roda Rising Star

Thanks. Would the Barium meal show inflammation in the small intestine if there was any ? Also I have read online Barium can set like concrete in the stomach is that true. Last thing was I heard Barium can make stomach problems worse and cause other problems to the body is that right ? Thanks again :)

Mind you I am just giving you my experience. Please get further clarification from your doctor. The barium can harden and potentially cause a blockage, hence why it is recommended to drink plenty of fluids and stay well hydrated. If you are prone to constipation ask your doctor about the need for a laxative. I have had the barium myself when I first started having symptoms a good two years before my diagnosis. I just had the UGI series not the small bowel follow through. I was a person who tended to be constipated and I had no problems passing the barium. It was thick and chalky and felt heavy in my stomach. I experierenced no problems after. I also last August had a CT enterography scan of my abdomen and pelvis. The barium for that (Volumun) was a very different consistency. It was very, ahem, snotty like. The concentration of barium is less. It was also gluten free as I checked beforehand. Alot of people report the opposite effect from the CT scan barium and that is goes through them like a bullet. :lol: Barium itself is an inert substance so reactions (allergic) are extremely rare but the manufacturers do add flavorings and additaves so that could be a source of gluten. You need to find out ahead of time so they can accomadate your needs. Here are some links for you to read.

Open Original Shared Link

tennisman Contributor

Mind you I am just giving you my experience. Please get further clarification from your doctor. The barium can harden and potentially cause a blockage, hence why it is recommended to drink plenty of fluids and stay well hydrated. If you are prone to constipation ask your doctor about the need for a laxative. I have had the barium myself when I first started having symptoms a good two years before my diagnosis. I just had the UGI series not the small bowel follow through. I was a person who tended to be constipated and I had no problems passing the barium. It was thick and chalky and felt heavy in my stomach. I experierenced no problems after. I also last August had a CT enterography scan of my abdomen and pelvis. The barium for that (Volumun) was a very different consistency. It was very, ahem, snotty like. The concentration of barium is less. It was also gluten free as I checked beforehand. Alot of people report the opposite effect from the CT scan barium and that is goes through them like a bullet. :lol: Barium itself is an inert substance so reactions (allergic) are extremely rare but the manufacturers do add flavorings and additaves so that could be a source of gluten. You need to find out ahead of time so they can accomadate your needs. Here are some links for you to read.

Thanks for the info the links are very useful :)

Archived