This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

What Do You Miss?

aeraen

Almendra Apprentice

I miss those Nilla wafers to use in some good, old-fashioned banana pudding.

I miss Krystal's hamburgers.

Oreos.

Tiramisu was my restaurant dessert of choice.

AND I miss the convenience - even of just bringing something to a potluck and being able to eat any leftovers. Now, though I like being able to share something delicious and gluten-free, the sheer injustice of bringing something that I cannot partake in once people's glutened hands and plates start hovering over it pricks something deep inside me sometimes. Not fair.

The whole idea of potluck is sharing. Not getting that give AND receive feeling. Not getting to compliment someone on their cake recipe - or their sausage balls. I had to leave for a moment or two in the bathroom in tears at my first Christmas potluck (where I couldn't have gluten). I was doing alright until someone noticed what I was eating, had forgotten my circumstance, offered me food with a questioning glance, remembered my situation with another glance, and subsequently allowed her face to show some pity.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
love2travel Mentor

Oreos.

AND I miss the convenience - even of just bringing something to a potluck and being able to eat any leftovers. Now, though I like being able to share something delicious and gluten-free, the sheer injustice of bringing something that I cannot partake in once people's glutened hands and plates start hovering over it pricks something deep inside me sometimes. Not fair.

The whole idea of potluck is sharing. Not getting that give AND receive feeling. Not getting to compliment someone on their cake recipe - or their sausage balls. I had to leave for a moment or two in the bathroom in tears at my first Christmas potluck (where I couldn't have gluten). I was doing alright until someone noticed what I was eating, had forgotten my circumstance, offered me food with a questioning glance, remembered my situation with another glance, and subsequently allowed her face to show some pity.

You can buy gluten-free ladyfingers and easily make tiramisu, thankfully! I also have a recipe for homemade ladyfingers if you'd like. Then you can have your favourite dessert again!

I'm with you on the potlucks. We've been invited to one and I just don't know what to do about it. Do I not go? Not sure at this point as I, too, miss the sharing and breaking of bread in that way.

NateJ Contributor

I miss bagel chips and anything hostess.

Terri O Rookie

I'm with the person that said BEER. gluten-free beer is very terrible! And now Tyranena is brewing my favorite Chocolate Oatmeal Stout again...my mouth is watering. MMMM--

I try not to miss stuff and like to try new foods; this thread has made me melancholy though...I think I will bake something--gluten-free of course! Terri O

love2travel Mentor

I've never been a beer fan but I have used Guiness in making such dishes as Steak and Ale Pie. Are you aware of any gluten-free Guiness in Canada? I would like to be able to make the pie for my husband who has a hankering for it.

K8ling Enthusiast

I miss Publix turkey sandwiches on their fresh baked bread. I miss french bread and cuban bread and hot cross buns and bacon egg cheese biscuits.

I like knowing what is in my food though. I like knowing what goes into my body. I like being healthier.

NateJ Contributor

I'm with the person that said BEER. gluten-free beer is very terrible! And now Tyranena is brewing my favorite Chocolate Oatmeal Stout again...my mouth is watering. MMMM--

I try not to miss stuff and like to try new foods; this thread has made me melancholy though...I think I will bake something--gluten-free of course! Terri O

They have a gluten free beer called RedBridge they sell at the baseball stadium here in STL. Not sure what it taste like.

Anyone here try that one yet?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

txplowgirl Enthusiast

My most favorite, hot, soft, buttery crousants. :rolleyes: Uuuuuuhhhhhhhmmmmm.

CourtneyLee Contributor

Oreos.

oh man, oreos, and hamburgers, what I would do to eat those.. :(

MJ-S Contributor

My mom's canaloni

French bread

Cheeseburger (with the bun)

REAL spagetti

Chocolate croissant

Croquettes

adab8ca Enthusiast

I miss:

Triscuits

Whole wheat tortillas

Timbits

Fresh french bread from the bakery (Hubby and I ate this for YEARS every Saturday, gluten-free bread does NOT cut it)

Hot, fresh pizza

Fast food of ANY KIND (and I NEVER used to eat it but now that I can't have it, i want it more!!!)

I just hate reading every label. If the list is too long, I just abort and don't bother.

BUT really, as we all know, there are so many things we CAN eat, so I try to celebrate those as much as I can!!!

iamsarar Rookie

I miss being able to go out with my husband and run to the new doughnut shop in town or picking up a pizza on the way home, stopping at the bagel shop. I didn't realize how much of our outings revolved around food until I couldn't do it any more. The fun part though is finding new things to do and places to explore like going to the city and trying a new restaurant we found with a gluten free menu or taking that hour long drive through the trees and along the water and ending up at the Gluten free bakery and having picnic by the water with new goodies to try........ actually as I read this I think I like the new life better :)

ilookthetype Rookie

I miss my Mom's homemade pizza. I miss Yorkshire Pudding. It's not that I miss the easy, and I didn't realize it until people mentioned it, I miss the fitting in. I'm pretty introverted and you can't be introverted when everyone is asking why you aren't eating. I'm incredibly sensitive, and I was a receptionist and had to set up and tear down potlucks, I ate before set up to prevent glutening.

I miss being able to eat at a restaurant. I miss being able to share a drink with my roommate without discussing what she's eaten that day. I miss being able to kiss my boyfriend without a 20min detox before hand. I miss being able to buy inexpensive food. I miss being able to waitress and feel fine after every shift. Most of all, I miss mother flipping YUENGLING. I'm a Pennsylvania girl, I tell my tables (here in DC where I now live) that Yuengling is in my blood, I was born to raised to love it. That is what I miss most of all (don't tell the BF that I miss more!).

ChristineR Newbie

I miss oreo double stuffs and butter finger candy bars

benchwarmer Newbie

- I miss going out for dinner to celebrate special occasions with my fiancee.

- I miss my Oma's amazing cakes and cookies.

- I miss having the option of taking a vacation at an all-inclusive resort.

- I miss ordering in when I'm tired and lazy after a long week.

- I miss being able to get through a day without somebody patronizing my meal with "well THAT looks good". . .because gluten-free is usually not good???!

- I miss being able to join in on bake exhanges with my friends at Christmas.

- I miss having drinks with friends at a bar or pub without worrying about contamination of the soda gun or the beer splashed on the bartender's hands.

- I miss being able to go to a friend's place or family member's place for dinner without feeling like an inconvenience.

Most of all, I miss feeling like everybody else.

Watching commercials or TV shows, sometimes I am baffled by how easy it is for people to go out to a restaurant or to a wedding and eat/drink whatever they want. It's one of those amazing luxuries in life that you don't know you have until it's gone. . .

wheeleezdryver Community Regular

I totally hear ya on the Oreo's... but I think the gluten-free version I've had (KinniToos, by Kinnickinick) are just as good, of not better.... but they don't have a double stuffed version (yet...)

as far as butter fingers, are you referring to the candy bar? My understanding is that the Butterfinger candy bars are gluten-free... at least the regular size ones.

Wenmin Enthusiast

Butter finger candy bars are gluten free....Can't say that about the oreos though!

Wenmin

BethM55 Enthusiast

As others have said, I miss convenience, and the freedom to eat whatever, whenever, wherever, without thinking about it. I miss being anonymous when we eat out. Sometimes it feels like there's a spotlight on me that says "DIFFERENT!!", as I explain my dietary needs to the server. :( Often I'd rather just eat at home or bring my own. It's so much easier.

Fortunately, the concept of gluten free eating is becoming more commonly understood. I'd still rather not have to deal with it, though!

And then there's bagels, sourdough breadbowls filled with steaming hot clam chowder, 'real' chocolate chip cookies... sigh. (ok, stop thinking about that stuff NOW!!. :lol:

And, I'm off to the market, to read labels and supply us for the coming week.

cassP Contributor

They have a gluten free beer called RedBridge they sell at the baseball stadium here in STL. Not sure what it taste like.

Anyone here try that one yet?

i tried redbridge- and it was AWFUL... i wanted to spit it out. so far, ive only liked gluten free cider.

Terri O Rookie

i tried redbridge- and it was AWFUL... i wanted to spit it out. so far, ive only liked gluten free cider.

Ditto on the Redbridge....New Grist isnt too terribly bad but it still isnt BEER. Now I am looking to find Greene's...supposed to have 3 flavors including a dark!

angel9165 Newbie

Ditto on the Redbridge....New Grist isnt too terribly bad but it still isnt BEER. Now I am looking to find Greene's...supposed to have 3 flavors including a dark!

The Redbridge does leave a lot to be desired but dang, I want an ice cold beer!!! :(

• 3 weeks later...
Adrienne2823 Newbie

I miss the social aspect...potlucks, family dinners etc. I feel like an outcast sometimes but I do not miss being sick at all!

I do miss:

Picking up a quick cheeseburger meal..

A REAL smothered (flour tortilla) burrito at a mexican restaraunt

Pizza (as dairy kicks my butt too...)

CarolinaKip Community Regular

Watching commercials or TV shows, sometimes I am baffled by how easy it is for people to go out to a restaurant or to a wedding and eat/drink whatever they want. It's one of those amazing luxuries in life that you don't know you have until it's gone. . .

NateJ Contributor

well thats good to know so i didn't waste 10 bucks on a 6 pack or 10 on a 20 oz at the stadium.

Oh well, i probably shouldn't be drinking anyway with my gut problems.

mbrookes Community Regular

I miss going to our neighborhood bar and having a beer with our friends. (a mixed drink just isn't the same, and in the middle of the afternoon it seems rather hard-core drinker)) Also I miss sharing in the bar food on the table. Even though I don't mind Redbridge, no bars or restaurants around here offer it.

Other things I really miss:

Fried shrimp Po boy

gumbo

Popeye's chicken

All things commercially fried

Archived