This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Sweet Potato Fries

calicokitty6

calicokitty6 Newbie

My husband and I both love sweet potatoes and sometimes I make him fries with them. I recently found a frozen version of these by McCain and Ore Ida but am not sure they are safe for my husband to eat. Does anyone know if these are gluten-free or not? I went to the Ore Ida site but couldn't find any info. Thanks.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Dixiebell Contributor

I found the information, It is under 'rethink potatoes'.

Open Original Shared Link

GlutenGladi8or Apprentice

CalicoKitty:

LOOK OUT for sweet potato fries, they put me "down for the count" last year when I consumed only about 8 of them at a fundraiser event. Once I was done being glutened, I did some online research and could only find spotty research whether or not they are actually gluten free.

NOTE: I make presentations to large food retail buyers on a weekly basis on behalf of my clients. One of the buyers of frozen produce heard about my "run in" with sweet potato fries and we had quite a discussion. He told me that many of his potato manufacturers "dust" the finished fries with a medley of flour to get them to fry up better in oil. It may only be a minuscule amount, but it's enough to send us Celiacs to the bathroom and then into bed.

Don't get me wrong, I am sure there ARE some gluten-free sweet potato fries out there. But after an actual french fry buyer told me the above story, they are no longer on my menu.

The GlutenGladi8or

tarnalberry Community Regular

You can make your own pretty much just as easily. Yeah, it does require cutting a sweet potato, but I find it easier/cheaper to store sweet potatoes than frozen bags. :)

Lisa Mentor

One of the buyers of frozen produce heard about my "run in" with sweet potato fries and we had quite a discussion. He told me that many of his potato manufacturers "dust" the finished fries with a medley of flour to get them to fry up better in oil. It may only be a minuscule amount, but it's enough to send us Celiacs to the bathroom and then into bed.

Should this be fact, "those" manufacturers are in serious violation of the law! ALL wheat must be listed an ingredient or on an allergen statement, by law. I would like to see some documentation of this. Are there manufacturers that we can contact?

Either this is "hear-say" with out actual fact, or these "manufactures" need to meet with the FDA!

Lisa Mentor

#

Are any of your products gluten free?

Our potato items are "gluten free" with the exception of Alexia Potato Bites.

Roda Rising Star

My bag of Ore Ida sweet potato fries I have in the freezer say gluten free on the bag.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

gflooser Contributor

i eat them with no problem! i even sprinkle a little brown sugar on them in the last few minutes of baking. yum...

lovegrov Collaborator

Lisa is right, you can't just sprinkle flour on things and not list it.

richard

GlutenGladi8or Apprentice

CalicoKitty:

LOOK OUT for sweet potato fries, they put me "down for the count" last year when I consumed only about 8 of them at a fundraiser event. Once I was done being glutened, I did some online research and could only find spotty research whether or not they are actually gluten free.

NOTE: I make presentations to large food retail buyers on a weekly basis on behalf of my clients. One of the buyers of frozen produce heard about my "run in" with sweet potato fries and we had quite a discussion. He told me that many of his potato manufacturers "dust" the finished fries with a medley of flour to get them to fry up better in oil. It may only be a minuscule amount, but it's enough to send us Celiacs to the bathroom and then into bed.

Don't get me wrong, I am sure there ARE some gluten-free sweet potato fries out there. But after an actual french fry buyer told me the above story, they are no longer on my menu.

The GlutenGladi8or

Please take special note that nowhere did I claim that a potato manufacturer was selling product with gluten and not claiming it on the package. And due to the fact that I had these at a fundraiser event, I didn't have the privilege to see the package that the caterer used as I was served by a waiter with a tray. (my bad)

I'm simply making three statements:

1) An actual buyer of frozen produce made me aware that some manufacturers dust their fries with a gluten type powders. He didn't make a claim that they did it without putting it on the package (nor did we talk about packaging at all -- although I'm sure that 100% of his suppliers adhere to the law or he wouldn't be buying from them). My eyebrows simply went up that this was news to me! I had no idea about how they do it to make them bake/fry better.

2) Due to the fact that I can't read an actual package while at a future fundraising event, sweet potato fries will be off of my list of safe products to consume.

3) If I do have sweet potato fries in the future, I will read the ingredients on the package or prepare them from a fresh potato in produce in my HOME.

Just thought I would clarify everything that I said in my initial post.

sa1937 Community Regular

I tried the Ore-Ida Sweet Potato Fries tonight and they're actually pretty good. I'll add them to my list of "emergency" foods when I don't feel like cooking much.

GlutenFreeManna Rising Star

#

Are any of your products gluten free?

Our potato items are "gluten free" with the exception of Alexia Potato Bites.

Alexia is my favorite brand when I want sweet potato fries without fuss. I also often have made my own by cutting up whole sweet potatoes. If you make your own you can also freeze them to save time in the future.

Looking for answers Contributor

I never eat them out but I do buy Trader Joes fresh cut (not the frozen ones) and then lighlty spray them with olive oil and garlic salt. SOOOO good!

Archived