• Ads by Google:

Get email alerts Celiac.com E-Newsletter

Ads by Google:

Get email alertsCeliac.com E-Newsletter

• Announcements

• admin

Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease   09/30/2015

This Celiac.com FAQ on celiac disease will guide you to all of the basic information you will need to know about the disease, its diagnosis, testing methods, a gluten-free diet, etc.   Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts   What are the major symptoms of celiac disease? Celiac Disease Symptoms What testing is available for celiac disease? - list blood tests, endo with biopsy, genetic test and enterolab (not diagnostic) Celiac Disease Screening Interpretation of Celiac Disease Blood Test Results Can I be tested even though I am eating gluten free? How long must gluten be taken for the serological tests to be meaningful? The Gluten-Free Diet 101 - A Beginner's Guide to Going Gluten-Free Is celiac inherited? Should my children be tested? Ten Facts About Celiac Disease Genetic Testing Is there a link between celiac and other autoimmune diseases? Celiac Disease Research: Associated Diseases and Disorders Is there a list of gluten foods to avoid? Unsafe Gluten-Free Food List (Unsafe Ingredients) Is there a list of gluten free foods? Safe Gluten-Free Food List (Safe Ingredients) Gluten-Free Alcoholic Beverages Distilled Spirits (Grain Alcohols) and Vinegar: Are they Gluten-Free? Where does gluten hide? Additional Things to Beware of to Maintain a 100% Gluten-Free Diet What if my doctor won't listen to me? An Open Letter to Skeptical Health Care Practitioners Gluten-Free recipes: Gluten-Free Recipes Where can I buy gluten-free stuff? Support this site by shopping at The Celiac.com Store.

Bread Crumbs - What To Use

14 posts in this topic

NancyL    4

I know this topic has to be answered already in here, but I've tried searching the board and can't come up with the right combo of words to get my answer...

What do I use in place of bread crumbs? I'm used to using saltines and Parmesan bread crumbs when I make chicken and meatloaf. What can I replace them with?

Ads by Google:
Ads by Google:

Diane-in-FL    28

I use Rice Chex. I just put some in a plastic bag and smash them with a rolling pin. Kinnikinnick makes a Panko style "bread crumb", which I have bought, but not tried yet.

Mizzo    22

I know this topic has to be answered already in here, but I've tried searching the board and can't come up with the right combo of words to get my answer...

What do I use in place of bread crumbs? I'm used to using saltines and Parmesan bread crumbs when I make chicken and meatloaf. What can I replace them with?

i use corn chex for the chicken, They make a great baked chicken tender kinda thing.

I have used toasted gluten-free bread for meatloaf. Also gluten-free pretzel that you process work nicely too. The pretzel is nice on chicken breasts.

ciavyn    41

I get the Schar crumbs for breading, have used pretzels on chicken as already mentioned -- super yum. And you can always use gluten-free bread that you've toasted or allowed to go stale.

Ads by Google:

NancyL    4

i use corn chex for the chicken, They make a great baked chicken tender kinda thing.

I have used toasted gluten-free bread for meatloaf. Also gluten-free pretzel that you process work nicely too. The pretzel is nice on chicken breasts.

I get the Schar crumbs for breading, have used pretzels on chicken as already mentioned -- super yum. And you can always use gluten-free bread that you've toasted or allowed to go stale.

Corn Chex or pretzels! Awesome!

Both of you mentioned using gluten-free bread. I swear to you, my gluten-free bread will NOT get stale! LOL I keep it in the freezer, but I was going to make meatloaf last week so in the morning I took 2 pieces out and toasted them repeatedly.... they would not get crunchy! LOL Every time I'd retoast it my husband would stare at me and say "and what's supposed to happen to it THIS time?". LOL It became a big joke and I ended up using regular bread crumbs and letting them eat meatloaf, I ate tuna on my "toasted" bread.. hehehehe

Noomers    3

According to my Better Homes & Gardens cookbook, you can use soft (untoasted) breadcrumbs in place of regular at a different proportion.

1/3 cup regular bread crumbs = 1 cup soft bread crumbs

To make soft, just put bread in food processor. My meatloaves and meatballs turn out great!

Ads by Google:

Fresh bread crumbs or Ener-G bread crumbs for us. Mostly Ener-G. I tried another brand with baked cod a few weeks ago and no one liked it. :( Ener-G has good texture for breaded fish, chicken, pork chops, etc. Two thumbs up from us.

Judy3    72

For meatloaf and meatballs I use crushed rice crackers and for breading I found some gluten free corn flake crumbs.

love2travel    396

For a successful panade (the combination of breadcrumbs soaked with liquid such as milk) my preference is also to use homemade gluten-free breadcrumbs (I also make homemade gluten-free sourdough chunky croutons). Panade adds the texture you look for in meatballs and meatloaf. You can also add some coconut flour as a stabilizer. Adding finely minced mushrooms adds moisture and lovely depth. I also often add quite a lot of Parmigiano Reggiano for awesome flavour and texture.

A fun thing with meatballs is to insert a little cube of a good melting cheese inside.

Ads by Google:

lpellegr    18

I make bread just so I can have bread crumbs. I make Bette Hagman's 4 flour bread, which doesn't make the best slicing bread and crumbles fast, but it makes great crumbs. To go from loaf of bread to bread crumbs: Cut the bread into 1/2 inch cubes. Let dry in a bowl or on a cookie sheet overnight if you have time. Put the cubes into the oven at 250 F and stir every half hour. Check each time to see if they have gotten hard and crunchy yet. When they are ready, turn off the oven and leave them in there until the oven is cool (overnight is fine). Throw the cubes into the food processor to make crumbs, or fry them up with seasoning to make croutons. These will be dry enough to store at room temperature without getting moldy, or you can keep them in the freezer. This might be your alternative to trying to toast the bread dry.

Roda    186

I make my own or buy a loaf of gluten free bread to use for bread crumbs. I have never had a problem drying them out and processing them in the food processor. We use crushed tortilla chips alot for a coating. Our favorite is a whole bag of crushed tortilla chips mixed with at least a packet of taco seasoning (or more to desired taste) and coat chicken tenders with it (my husband dips the chicken in egg first). Spread onto baking pan and drizzle with butter and bake until done. They taste great with salsa or honey. I have heard of using crushed corn chips and potato chips also. I have also used instant mashed potato flakes.

ciavyn    41

Corn Chex or pretzels! Awesome!

Both of you mentioned using gluten-free bread. I swear to you, my gluten-free bread will NOT get stale! LOL I keep it in the freezer, but I was going to make meatloaf last week so in the morning I took 2 pieces out and toasted them repeatedly.... they would not get crunchy! LOL Every time I'd retoast it my husband would stare at me and say "and what's supposed to happen to it THIS time?". LOL It became a big joke and I ended up using regular bread crumbs and letting them eat meatloaf, I ate tuna on my "toasted" bread.. hehehehe

Dang, Nancy -- what bread is that?! Udi's and Katz's will get very toasted. :) I'm going to try Ener-G in the future, as I hear it is awful for regular bread substitute (Udi's and Katz are my FAVORITE) but this isn't the first time I've heard it is good for breading. :) You guys are awesome. <3

mbrookes    75

I keep the end pieces of my Udi's bread in the freezer. When I have several I put them in the oven at 300 degrees for about 45 minutes and run through the food processor. Also, cut the pieces into shapes before baking to make "melba toast" for appetizers.