This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Focaccia Bread Recipe...

love2travel

challengeaccepted Newbie

Welcome here! I'm so glad you took advantage of tweaking this recipe to your needs. That shows you are a creative baker - awesome. It is indeed a very simple recipe to make substitutions. I'll have to try it with psyllium instead as well to compare. I miss chewiness! :D

Thank you sincerely for the welcome. Its just because of the gums issue that I switched to chia seeds first (but the smell/taste and discolouration of whatever I was baking just frustrated me)Psyllium is new to me but in the last few things I have made, It has really been impressive.

I used to be a Baker. Unfortunately, once I was diagnosed, the itchy skin, rashes and constant vomiting, headaches and nausea just grew too much to bear. I couldn't taste test anything anymore, and the flour was on my skin, under my baking clothes, that stuff got everywhere. The owners, for popularity reasons didn't want to switch to gluten free baked goods, so my career ended at that point.

Anyways, life is much better now, and I totally rambled in the wrong forum topic lol.

Please keep up the recipes for those of us re-learning!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

freeatlast Collaborator

Ok, so I am saying in advance that I used this as an outline, not a hard and fast rule. Its how I like to bake so please take that into account, BUT I never could have made this such a success without your fantastic recipe. I look forward to reading through more of the food forums to find your little gems!!!

Changes I made,

-I cannot handle gums, so I used 2 tsp of Psyllium powder instead.

-I use a flour blend created by another website that I am sure many of you are already aware of, its gluten free girl. The Ahern's flour blend. It shares many similar ingredients to the OP, so I took the liberty since I had it all ready mixed and in a container ready to go. (Its flexible for many allergies, since it uses a weight ratio, subbing different flours in or out is so very easy)

Ok, that was it for changes :-)

This was amazing. I am not sure if my changes added that 'chewiness' everyone wanted, or If i just got lucky! It was chewy, crispy on the bottom, with this salty top that was tender and truly life changing lol.

Just amazing and I sincerely thank you for this recipe <3

Is this the flour blend from gluten-free Girl? I saw where she said she tweeked her flour blend for a cookie in Dec. 2010 on her website, but wasn't sure if this is her "go to" flour blend or if it was just tweeked for the cookie recipe.

200 grams superfine brown rice flour

150 grams sorghum flour

50 grams potato flour

250 grams sweet rice flour

150 grams potato starch

100 grams arrowroot powder

100 grams cornstarch

organicmama Contributor

Hey ladies, I'm not sure about international shipping, but The Teff Company has great rates for ivory and dark teff. They are where most companies get their teff that they repackage and sell I have heard.

freeatlast Collaborator

Hey ladies, I'm not sure about international shipping, but The Teff Company has great rates for ivory and dark teff. They are where most companies get their teff that they repackage and sell I have heard.

In my opinion, teff flour does not add much along the lines of taste, but it does help with the structure.

challengeaccepted Newbie

Is this the flour blend from gluten-free Girl? I saw where she said she tweeked her flour blend for a cookie in Dec. 2010 on her website, but wasn't sure if this is her "go to" flour blend or if it was just tweeked for the cookie recipe.

200 grams superfine brown rice flour

150 grams sorghum flour

50 grams potato flour

250 grams sweet rice flour

150 grams potato starch

100 grams arrowroot powder

100 grams cornstarch

Yes!!! That's exactly it. I love the ability to swap out anything you may have an allergy too (she has a full list to choose from, the above was her personal blend). Plus I adore baking by weight, so I appreciated it when she switched over to that style.

I have a had a piece of the focaccia everyday since making it, and again OP, TY

organicmama Contributor

In my opinion, teff flour does not add much along the lines of taste, but it does help with the structure.

I like upping the protein content as well, not feeling like I'm cooking with white flour all the time.

freeatlast Collaborator

Yes!!! That's exactly it. I love the ability to swap out anything you may have an allergy too (she has a full list to choose from, the above was her personal blend). Plus I adore baking by weight, so I appreciated it when she switched over to that style.

I have a had a piece of the focaccia everyday since making it, and again OP, TY

Cool. So you could actually sub tapioca flour for the cornstarch?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

organicmama Contributor

Cool. So you could actually sub tapioca flour for the cornstarch?

You could, but it could be gummy. Are you able to use potato starch? I've read of using that as a substitute.

Archived