This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Gluten Ataxia

Marz

Marz Enthusiast

So I stumbled on a website talking about ataxia, and the link to gluten-intolerance. The symptoms are listed as :

* Poor coordination in physical movements and poor control of muscle movement

* Inability to control the speed or the power of a physical movement

* Headaches

* Inability to speak or form words correctly; speech impediments

I just remembered a problem I was having last year before going gluten free, where I was having difficulty getting words out of my mouth. It was the strangest thing to experience. My sentences were also sometimes very slow and I had to really concentrate to form the words. It would happen in episodes - some days I was fine, other days I really struggled. It didn't help having brain fog at the same time, made me feel like I was getting dumber.

Just realised I haven't had this problem in a *long* time... like I had forgotten I even had this problem. Strike off yet another random issue that I didn't realise was gluten-related!

Other random ataxia symptoms I had - poor coordination yes, but not too bad. I would sometimes close my hand in a drawer because I didn't move it fast enough for my other hand's liking, or scuff my hand against a cupboard because I miscalculated where my hand was and should be :)

Lots of bruises from bumping against desks, and again I haven't noticed many bruises lately at all.

All this has cleared up quite quickly - gluten free 8 months and counting - but I only had these symptoms for a few months before I figured out the gluten culprit, so I probably didn't have much damage.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Fire Fairy Enthusiast

Congratulations! I had similar issues and have not noticed any problems of this nature in the past couple months. :) (gluten-free since November 2nd 2010) So glad to be free of this and the brain fog!

Marz Enthusiast

Here is an extensive write up about gluten ataxia, if anyone is looking for more info, and some success stories :

Open Original Shared Link

ravenwoodglass Mentor

That's wonderful. So glad to hear your symptoms are resolving. Feels great doesn't it.

hnybny91 Rookie

Add me to the list of having this symptom go away when I went gluten free. It really is amazing all the things that gluten causes!

kb23 Newbie

I began a gluten free diet about three weeks ago for ataxia. I've read so much on it that I am convinced that it has something to do with the symptoms that seem so random, but are connected. Hearing that others are finding relief gives me great hope. Thanks!

• 1 year later...
Marz Enthusiast

Oh hey, I just another look at this article, and the lady on which it was based commented an update on her progress. She also left her email, if anyone would like to contact her.

Great news is she's slowly getting better!

Open Original Shared Link

Sarah Bosse here. I just realized today that I could comment on the article above and give an update. I'm glad to see so many comments here.

If anyone would like to email me, n a t u r a l l y g u t s y at g m a i l dot com.

I have not been glutened since January 2010. My balance and coordination has continued to improve, as well as my visual problems. I don't think the peripheral neuropathy has improved; my legs still burn. The visual problems were the last to improve. I don't think I'll ever be 100%. I still fall over easily, cannot look up while standing/walking, and I cannot walk in the dark (I use vision to compensate for balance problems). I cannot kick a ball, even a large one. But my hand coordination is near-normal now. My speech still slurs at times.

I'm glad that those who have gluten ataxia do have a chance of getting better when gluten is 200% avoided. I take extreme precautions, but it's worth it. I feel that if I got glutened again, my symptoms may take me back to where I was several years ago within just a few weeks and I may or may not recover to where I am today.

I noticed several folks mentioned Paleo/Low Carb diets. I have been on the Specific Carbohydrate Diet for over a year now (also treating Small Intestine Bacterial Overgrowth, IBS, Celiac, etc). I've added Atkins restrictions and eat about 35 net grams of carbs per day. No starches, no grains of any kind, no grain products, specific fruits and veggies allowed, all uncured meats that are unprocessed are allowed as well, and most fats. The progress I've seen has been somewhat slow but quite remarkable. I feel like God has used this diet to save my life.

I'm glad to share my experiences and listen if you need an ear. Just email me (my address is above, no spaces).

Sarah Bosse (Gutsy Girl)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived