This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Pink Shower Mold, Cholesterol Levels And Other Observations...

GlutenFreeManna

GlutenFreeManna Rising Star

Ever since I got married there has been pink mold in the shower. I wipe it off every week and every week it is there again. My husband and I figured out it was coming from him somehow because when he goes on extended business trips (2 weeks to 2 months) the mold does not return until he returns. Fast forward to about a month ago, my husband has been told by his doctor his cholesterol levels are sky high and he needs to go on meds if he doesn't radically change his diet. He was gluten free at home but he still loved to stop at fast food places on occaision and ate gluteny goodies at work. Around the same time as the doctor telling him he needs to lower his cholesterol I was having trouble with always getting sick from unknown sources of gltuen cc. We narrowed it down to him being careless in kissing me some days when he had eaten gluten and me driving his car after he had eaten fast food. In addition to all this my husband had noticed for about 6 months now that his stomach hurts when he eats gluten. He finally decided to give it up completely not only for me but for his health as well. The only thing he has decided to keep eating is oatmeal because it's good for lowering cholesterol and it doesn't seem to bother his stomach. So he eats a bowl every morning at work and takes a gluten-free lunch. He's been strict about this diet for a little over a month now. Today I just realized that the pink mold had not grown back since he went strictly gluten free. His bad cholesterol has also dropped (although still not where it needs to be it is significantly better). Is all this a coincidence or has anyone else experienced these strange phenomenons after going gluten free? I'm sure there are other reasons for the lower cholesterol (less fast food?) but the mold going away was quite a surprise.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

IrishHeart Veteran

I think it's great hubby went gluten-free--mine did it a month ago willingly, too and I think it's best for avoiding CC issues...so hooray for both of you!!:>)

Anyone's health improving--including lowered cholesterol levels--does not surprise me after one goes gluten-free!! My hubby feels better, lost the last 10 lbs. he wanted to, has no constipation that had been bothering him,( he would die if he knew I just posted that fact LOL) lowered his cholesterol and went off those meds and he has more energy. So, good for our hubbies!! YAAYY!

As for the pink mold....that, my gluten-free sister, is a MYSTERY to moi!! :blink: Does gluten make us moldy, too???? :lol: After all the symptoms I have developed (and I have dozens) I would believe ANYTHING!!! :o

ndw3363 Contributor

I have no observations on this, but I'm extremely intrigued. Two years ago I got really sick and ever since then I've been strictly natural and homeopathic when it comes to medicines. I had a doctor tell me that what I ate had no impact on the health issue I was having at the time. I had another doctor give me two rounds of antibiotics even though "no infection was detected". I guess where I'm going with this is that I'm a huge believer that everything is connected. I can't wait to see the replies you get on this! Happy St. Patrick's Day!!

IrishHeart Veteran

I have no observations on this, but I'm extremely intrigued. Two years ago I got really sick and ever since then I've been strictly natural and homeopathic when it comes to medicines. I had a doctor tell me that what I ate had no impact on the health issue I was having at the time. I had another doctor give me two rounds of antibiotics even though "no infection was detected". I guess where I'm going with this is that I'm a huge believer that everything is connected. I can't wait to see the replies you get on this! Happy St. Patrick's Day!!

And Happy St. Paddy's to you! ;)

Years ago, a gastro dosed me several times with antibiotics for serious diarrhea and stomach pain. He thought "maybe giarrdia"...I was too naive back then to say no thanks or to counter that with probiotics, and ever since then, I have had the "IBS" and "GERD" diagnosis and given meds for that. (this is of course, all baloney) I took those too--until a few years ago when I said ENOUGH! WHY is my bowel irritable?? The bottom line is this...I listened to that "advice" for so long as the celiac inside me simmered and simmered...and I developed more and more debilitating symptoms...and no, not one medical person I saw in the last few years ever asked me "what are you eating?" except an acupuncturist. He told me dairy and gluten often cause problems, but I didn't connect the dots either until a year later.

The gastro's Np told me "you can eat gluten! That's not your problem" (she was wrong, of course)

The medical community wants to symptom treat with drugs & not help us get well. It's all about the $$$$.

I have become a cynic and i do not trust doctors anymore. They let me remain ill and in pain for too many years.

If everyone ate cleanly and eliminated the foods that make you ill--in our case, the gluten (and I think it is for all people, but that's just MHO)--there would be no one in their waiting rooms!! :P

Still pondering the pink mold.... :blink:

Archived