• Ads by Google:

Get email alerts Subscribe to Celiac.com's FREE weekly eNewsletter

Ads by Google:

Get email alertsSubscribe to Celiac.com's FREE weekly eNewsletter

• Announcements

• admin

Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease   09/30/2015

This Celiac.com FAQ on celiac disease will guide you to all of the basic information you will need to know about the disease, its diagnosis, testing methods, a gluten-free diet, etc.   Subscribe to Celiac.com's FREE weekly eNewsletter   What are the major symptoms of celiac disease? Celiac Disease Symptoms What testing is available for celiac disease? - list blood tests, endo with biopsy, genetic test and enterolab (not diagnostic) Celiac Disease Screening Interpretation of Celiac Disease Blood Test Results Can I be tested even though I am eating gluten free? How long must gluten be taken for the serological tests to be meaningful? The Gluten-Free Diet 101 - A Beginner's Guide to Going Gluten-Free Is celiac inherited? Should my children be tested? Ten Facts About Celiac Disease Genetic Testing Is there a link between celiac and other autoimmune diseases? Celiac Disease Research: Associated Diseases and Disorders Is there a list of gluten foods to avoid? Unsafe Gluten-Free Food List (Unsafe Ingredients) Is there a list of gluten free foods? Safe Gluten-Free Food List (Safe Ingredients) Gluten-Free Alcoholic Beverages Distilled Spirits (Grain Alcohols) and Vinegar: Are they Gluten-Free? Where does gluten hide? Additional Things to Beware of to Maintain a 100% Gluten-Free Diet What if my doctor won't listen to me? An Open Letter to Skeptical Health Care Practitioners Gluten-Free recipes: Gluten-Free Recipes

Rate this topic

4 posts in this topic

Hello, I'm a newbie from Indiana! I suffered for a year before I was diagnosed with celiac. Its been a stuggle! I'm the only one (at the moment) that has celiac. Being a mother and wife, its difficult to grocery shop and cook for all of us. I am feeling better however other symtoms have surfaced. Not sure what "normal" is anymore! Tammy

Ads by Google:
Ads by Google:

Hello, I'm a newbie from Indiana! I suffered for a year before I was diagnosed with celiac. Its been a stuggle! I'm the only one (at the moment) that has celiac. Being a mother and wife, its difficult to grocery shop and cook for all of us. I am feeling better however other symtoms have surfaced. Not sure what "normal" is anymore! Tammy

HI Tammy!

I don't know how old your kids are but mine are teens so we don't always eat together. I'm the only gluten-free one at our house. When we do eat together & I am fixing all the food, its usually gluten-free. Last night we had BBQ chicken, corn & salad or carrot sticks. When we do pasta together, I get a helper to keep the gluten-free & the regular pasta separate. One is responsible for the gluteny pasta. Its too easy to get confused & use the spoon from one into the other. When that isn't possible, we all eat the gluten-free pasta and no one cares.

For J's 18th birthday/superbowl party, he wanted me to make gluten-free chocolate cupcakes because they are better than alot of other ones.

I find that teen boys & a hub who isn't picky don't care if there is gluten in it or not. My boys say the main criteria is that Imake it so they don't have to cook.

• Upvote 1

Hi, I was diagnosed in August, 2010, and have a husband, and 3 teen age boys, our first meal after getting diagnosed my one son sat the table and said ok how do I eat so you dont get sick what can I touch, we were having hamburgers and there were hamburger buns on the table, we all started laughing. Its gotten easier , spagetti nights are hard have to pay attention, I liked the previous comment on having a helper, and I always drain my noodles first, I also take any left overs I want and put them in containers labeled mom so no one else touches them. It seems like alot at first, but it becomes normal after awhile.

It does get easier in time! I only have been gluten-free for 2 months (almost)and am attempting to get my kitchen to a state that I can feel confident eating out of! (wow--that is a really BAD sentence) I dont know how else to say it though...I have a husband and 3 college age kids that are home on and off...they all think I am crazy. Maybe they think I am trying to push the gluten-free lifestyle on them because I frequently comment on studies that I read and such. I try to just do my "own thing." I will tell you though that it does get easier the longer you read the labels! Terri O