• Ads by Google:

Get email alerts Celiac.com E-Newsletter

Ads by Google:

Get email alertsCeliac.com E-Newsletter

• Announcements

• admin

Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease   09/30/2015

This Celiac.com FAQ on celiac disease will guide you to all of the basic information you will need to know about the disease, its diagnosis, testing methods, a gluten-free diet, etc.   Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts   What are the major symptoms of celiac disease? Celiac Disease Symptoms What testing is available for celiac disease? - list blood tests, endo with biopsy, genetic test and enterolab (not diagnostic) Celiac Disease Screening Interpretation of Celiac Disease Blood Test Results Can I be tested even though I am eating gluten free? How long must gluten be taken for the serological tests to be meaningful? The Gluten-Free Diet 101 - A Beginner's Guide to Going Gluten-Free Is celiac inherited? Should my children be tested? Ten Facts About Celiac Disease Genetic Testing Is there a link between celiac and other autoimmune diseases? Celiac Disease Research: Associated Diseases and Disorders Is there a list of gluten foods to avoid? Unsafe Gluten-Free Food List (Unsafe Ingredients) Is there a list of gluten free foods? Safe Gluten-Free Food List (Safe Ingredients) Gluten-Free Alcoholic Beverages Distilled Spirits (Grain Alcohols) and Vinegar: Are they Gluten-Free? Where does gluten hide? Additional Things to Beware of to Maintain a 100% Gluten-Free Diet What if my doctor won't listen to me? An Open Letter to Skeptical Health Care Practitioners Gluten-Free recipes: Gluten-Free Recipes Where can I buy gluten-free stuff? Support this site by shopping at The Celiac.com Store.

Could It Be Possible To Cure Yourself With Diet?

5 posts in this topic

Terri O    1

A friend on another site sent me this and I am intrigued. Has anyone tried this? Anyone heard of it? Maybe I am grasping at straws but what the video says seems to make sense to me...thanks for your opinions! Terri O

http://kellythekitchenkop.com/2011/03/is-there-a-food-allergy-cure.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+kellythekitchenkop+%28Kelly+the+Kitchen+Kop%29&utm_content=FaceBook

Ads by Google:
Ads by Google:

adab8ca    46

hmmm...i didn't read the whole thing but celiac is not a food allergy, it is an autoimmune diesase where your body attacks itself. so, people are "cured" when they stop eating gluten but if you start again, you will have the same autoimmune response.

i know people often get relief from other condirions, like RA, when stopping gluten, RA is also autoimmune and these things can all be interconnected.

I think that a food allergy does not cause "long termdamage" to your body like celiac does, but I am no expert on allergies (nor celiac for that matter)

• Upvote 2

ciavyn    41

I have to agree. This is dealing with food allergies, and I'm not convinced this person even has a clue what they are talking about, given that she only uses herself as an example. But beyond that, Celiac's Disease is an autoimmune disease. Your body attacks itself in the presence of gluten. While a number of folks have done the Specific Carbohydrate Diet with some success to get away from the foods that both them, it isn't going to fix autoimmune disease. Sorry to be a downer, but until they come up with a real cure, this one isn't it.

• Upvote 1

ravenwoodglass    1,211

As far as celiac is concerned this is total bunk. The person is trying to sell their 'classes' and sounds like they really know nothing about celiac. There are some people who will heal after a while on the diet and then have it take some time for symptoms to come back, the reason they used to think kids outgrew celiac, but we now know that is not the case.

Ads by Google:

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    Hanchaoui

• Topics

• Yeah my family stopped doing gifts a few years ago when we had a grandparent on each side of the family die. After that no one meets up, no gifts, no one even does cards. I tried 2 years ago to give all my relatives gifts, hand written cards......None of them even said thanks. Next year I said I will not give out cards or gifts unless one of them send me something....and well I did not even get a card. Funny thing is my birthday falls on the 16th of Dec so nothing from any relatives for 2 years in the month of December hit me pretty hard. I know my disease caused me to burn bridges and be a bit more secluded but it was ridiculous to the point that the past 2 years I have been sending myself on vacation the same way, hotel, and location that my family used to spend on vacations when we were a family.

Sorry for the self pity thing, I was just pointing out that my extended family other then my parents (they still help me out and care) do not care about the holidays anymore. And I consider several members here, as messed up as it might be a "I care about your health and life" more so  then my actual aunts, uncles, and cousins. So I figured I might not be rich but if we had a secret santa type thing I could at least afford to send one person a gift.

Funny how this community is more family to me then the one I grew up in. I guess it has to do with relating to people here more, feeling of caring, and overall support.
    • This paper from 2015 suggests the opposite is true: High Proportions of People With Nonceliac Wheat Sensitivity Have Autoimmune Disease or Antinuclear Antibodies. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/26026392/ Of course correlation does not equal causation, but it is compelling and something worth watching. 
    • Thanks Matt again My Doctor just moved away so i dont even have a doctor at the moment, thats why its so hard, ill pretty much be going to some random doctor who doesnt know me at all and asking for a celiac test, hopefully i pick a good one ps you can have the ashes for being helpful    
    • Hello and welcome It can be scary and there's definitely a mental side to dealing with this which is at least as important as the physical. If available to you consider seeking out some counselling to help you process this. It was really useful for me, as were the people on this forum which is a great resource which you should use as much as you need to.  And, easy to say, try to be optimistic!  It may be that you've solved a huge health puzzle whilst you're still young and have lots of great years ahead of you, years which will be so much more enjoyable gluten free. Time will help you learn the diet and what at first seems impossible will become the new normal to the point where you won't have to think too much about it. We are an adaptable species and however hard it seems at the outset you will adapt and you will feel better. Best of luck!  
    • Hi again Long time since I lived down under but I'll give it a shot pending any Aussie members replying... Your naturopath has helped you and put you on what sounds like the right track, but now consider that you may be better off with a conventional doctor for the testing process.  Be wary of food intolerance tests. They are notoriously inaccurate and as you've found expensive. The first priority is to get a celiac diagnosis/exclusion, you can proceed better from there. The tests to request are:  Anti-Tissue Transglutaminase (tTG) IgA Deamidated Gliadin Peptide (DGP) IgA and IgG Total Serum IgA Some practices will only test one. Request a 'full celiac panel'. Before you see the doctor make some concise notes / bullet points that detail: Your past medical history Your positive initial reaction to the gluten diet Your wish now to seek a medical diagnosis and willingness to comply with any requirements That should be sufficient for a doctor to request a test.   No! Your naturopath doesn't know what they're talking about if they're talking about the accepted celiac tests. You'll need to do 8-12 weeks eating gluten to ensure an accurate test. Otherwise you're throwing money away.  A local doctor should be able to request the tests so if you have one you're happy with try there. Alternatively you can search to see if anyone within a reasonable distance is listed maybe with Coeliac Australia or via some of the links here https://www.healthdirect.gov.au/coeliac-disease Again, *good luck with it all and keep asking questions, this place was very helpful to me and I'm sure it will prove so to you also. Cheers, Matt                               *ps But bad luck in the Ashes to compensate  
  • Upcoming Events