This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

+ Blood Test, - Biopsy And More.

ship

ship Newbie

My daughter was positive on a blood test and negative on a biopsy. She is IgA deficient. She is also pre-diabetic.

Question #1 what does that mean???

My son has been having horrible stomach pains for 2 years. The Dr. was only willing to check him if my daughters biopsy came back positive. His blood test came back negative but he is severely IgA deficient and that changes blood tests.

Question #2 Should I push the issue and talk to the Dr. AGAIN about checking my son or just remove glutin from his diet on my own.

My husband and I are very frustrated with all this. Our son has horrible joint pain, horrible stomach pain, asthma, IgA deficiency, allergies (wheat, oats and eggs). We don't know what to do or where to turn to get our boy some help. If our daughter would have been positive in the biopsy then our son would be checked next. Now we are left to "monitor his pain" for a few more months. There is only 1 pediatric gastro in the area otherwise we would get a 2nd opinion.

PLEASE HELP!!!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Dixiebell Contributor

Hi ship.

The Dr. who did the biopsy may have missed the damaged areas, damage can be patchy, or maybe didn't do enough biopsies. Since her blood was positive you should try gluten-free and see if it helps her.

Can you list the blood tests and ranges for your children? There are many people here that are very good at understanding the results. Also to make sure they have had all the correct testing for celiac. Other testing you could have done is vitamin and mineral levels to be sure they are not deficient in any of those. Vitamin deficiencies are also symptoms.

mikyraso Rookie

My daughter was positive on a blood test and negative on a biopsy. She is IgA deficient. She is also pre-diabetic.

Question #1 what does that mean???

My son has been having horrible stomach pains for 2 years. The Dr. was only willing to check him if my daughters biopsy came back positive. His blood test came back negative but he is severely IgA deficient and that changes blood tests.

Question #2 Should I push the issue and talk to the Dr. AGAIN about checking my son or just remove glutin from his diet on my own.

My husband and I are very frustrated with all this. Our son has horrible joint pain, horrible stomach pain, asthma, IgA deficiency, allergies (wheat, oats and eggs). We don't know what to do or where to turn to get our boy some help. If our daughter would have been positive in the biopsy then our son would be checked next. Now we are left to "monitor his pain" for a few more months. There is only 1 pediatric gastro in the area otherwise we would get a 2nd opinion.

PLEASE HELP!!!

I just have a question. Are you seeing a Gastro Dr. or is it your Pediatrician that won't do the testing? As mom's we know when our children are hurting and it is hard when we don't get the help we need.

ship Newbie

Blood test results for things that were a little off are:

Calcium 9.8 Normal being 8.0-9.5

RDW-SD 34.7 Normal Being 36.4-54.5 I don't know what that is

Lymphocytes 18.5 Normal Being 30.0-65.0 Don't know what that is

Gliadin IGG AB 15.0 Nromal under 10

IGA 63 Normal being 64-246

Hemoglobin 6.0 Normal being 4.0-5.7

Estimated Average Glucose 126

ALT (SGPT) 28 Normal 30-65 Don't know what that is

We are currently seeing a Pediatric Gastro for 2 of my kids. We started off with my son but his blood work came back normal. His IgA is 12 with 64 being the low normal. The Gastro would only be willing to do the Endo if my daughters biopsy came back normal. My daughter has only been in pain for less than 3 months. My son has been in pain for 2 years but has never been checked out. We are very frustrated.

Thank you both for looking at my post.

mikyraso Rookie

Blood test results for things that were a little off are:

Calcium 9.8 Normal being 8.0-9.5

RDW-SD 34.7 Normal Being 36.4-54.5 I don't know what that is

Lymphocytes 18.5 Normal Being 30.0-65.0 Don't know what that is

Gliadin IGG AB 15.0 Nromal under 10

IGA 63 Normal being 64-246

Hemoglobin 6.0 Normal being 4.0-5.7

Estimated Average Glucose 126

ALT (SGPT) 28 Normal 30-65 Don't know what that is

We are currently seeing a Pediatric Gastro for 2 of my kids. We started off with my son but his blood work came back normal. His IgA is 12 with 64 being the low normal. The Gastro would only be willing to do the Endo if my daughters biopsy came back normal. My daughter has only been in pain for less than 3 months. My son has been in pain for 2 years but has never been checked out. We are very frustrated.

Thank you both for looking at my post.

Have you considered taking him to a different Dr. ?

mushroom Proficient

Do you have a copy of your son's test results? A serum IGA of 12 is extremely low. How many of the IGG tests did they run? I notice you listed only Gliadin IGG for your daughter. What tests did they run on your son? You should be looking on there for tTG, EMA and DGP. These are the other tests that constitute the celiac panel, and since your son is not an IGA producer they should have run the IGG versions of all these.

I believe the ALT is a liver function test.

Archived