• Ads by Google:

Get email alerts Celiac.com E-Newsletter

Ads by Google:

Get email alertsCeliac.com E-Newsletter

• Announcements

• admin

Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease   09/30/2015

This Celiac.com FAQ on celiac disease will guide you to all of the basic information you will need to know about the disease, its diagnosis, testing methods, a gluten-free diet, etc.   Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts   What are the major symptoms of celiac disease? Celiac Disease Symptoms What testing is available for celiac disease? - list blood tests, endo with biopsy, genetic test and enterolab (not diagnostic) Celiac Disease Screening Interpretation of Celiac Disease Blood Test Results Can I be tested even though I am eating gluten free? How long must gluten be taken for the serological tests to be meaningful? The Gluten-Free Diet 101 - A Beginner's Guide to Going Gluten-Free Is celiac inherited? Should my children be tested? Ten Facts About Celiac Disease Genetic Testing Is there a link between celiac and other autoimmune diseases? Celiac Disease Research: Associated Diseases and Disorders Is there a list of gluten foods to avoid? Unsafe Gluten-Free Food List (Unsafe Ingredients) Is there a list of gluten free foods? Safe Gluten-Free Food List (Safe Ingredients) Gluten-Free Alcoholic Beverages Distilled Spirits (Grain Alcohols) and Vinegar: Are they Gluten-Free? Where does gluten hide? Additional Things to Beware of to Maintain a 100% Gluten-Free Diet What if my doctor won't listen to me? An Open Letter to Skeptical Health Care Practitioners Gluten-Free recipes: Gluten-Free Recipes Where can I buy gluten-free stuff? Support this site by shopping at The Celiac.com Store.

Gluten

3 posts in this topic

Do you think that eating gluten on an empty stomach is worse than when you have something in your stomach. This past week I made a mistake by eating a chicken breast at Wendy's. I ate it on a totally empty stomach and had very severe cramping. I have eaten this chicken many times and have not had such a severe reaction. Just wondering.

bambam

Ads by Google:
Ads by Google:

I don't think that would play a role into it...I haven't really thought about it...it is possible. It may depend on how much gluten you consume though. You may not have severe reactions to minute amounts when others might...still does damage though.

I think it may be worse symptom-wise.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    Yesenia

• Topics

• Thankyou for your advice i am getting so confused as some people are saying you dont need the biopsy and others are saying you do need it as it comes with other tests connected to thyroid, iron etc? just want to start being gluten free asap! did you go for the endoscopy? 
    • Hello One drawback is that there are no guarantees. You may go through the testing process and not get the answer you want or need. I did go through testing after having been gluten free and was stunned when I was told it was negative. By that point I'd gone through the challenge and seen various symptoms return so I thought I'd definitely be diagnosed celiac. The consultant advised me to go gluten free anyway and because I'd good evidence to support that I've not had any problems staying on the diet since then. So it can be done, it just requires a certain mind set, essentially I live my life as if the diagnosis was positive. No exceptions.   I think  this is where people make a mistake, if it's 'just' gluten sensitivity' then they can make exceptions on special occasions etc. I think that makes it harder to live gluten free because you still have to make choices and judgments about whether to eat gluten or not. For me, it's never an option so I don't have the conversation. Everyone around me understands that as well. Only you can decide on this. I don't regret doing it because I learned more about my bodies reactions but I found the challenge unpleasant as my reaction to gluten had become more extreme after removing it from my diet. You won't gain much for yourself, the answer is still the same and you already have enough info to know you should never eat gluten again, but your kids may gain if your positive diagnosis keeps them monitored in later life.  Best of luck!  
    • For me personally a medium result, in that situation,  would be enough to convince me that I had celiac disease.  Probably the standard of care is to also get a biopsy. Going gluten free is difficult so some people want to do all the tests they can so they can make the best choice. Generally more testing is thought of as providing better patient care. I think it is a personal preference thing though.   
    • Hi all i hope you can help me i have just had blood tests for celiac and they both come back as a positive result the 1st test was a low reading but the 2nd test was a medium result, i am now waiting a 4 week wait for a endoscopy/biopsy. Not trying to get out of the endoscopy as i have had this procedure before but is it really necessary to have this done when it has been confirmed in the blood tests, i know that they look to see if damage had been done but surely the damage is already been done. Any advice would be great
    • I have been eating dark chocolate bars as well as cocoa powder. Both are highly processed (this is an exception to the no processed food rule) which I am sure removes a lot of the nutrients.  I might try the nibs as I am sure they are more nutritious and they look really good.  I am suspicious of using hemp, for myself,  but it is interesting that chocolate and chilly peppers have some of the same chemicals!  I actually tried chocolate as it has flavinoids which act as a "xanthine oxidase inhibitors".  I have gouty arthritis which is caused by a build up of uric acid in the blood. Coffee and an chocolate are thought to help with that. I might react negatively to coffee  though so I am trying chocolate. 
  • Upcoming Events