This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

Cures For Constipation?

pondy

pondy Contributor

Hi Everyone,

I'm suffering from chronic constipation and I'm wondering if anyone here has found any effective remedies.

Yesterday I had 10 (yes, 10) tap water enemas at the hospital prior to my colonoscopy. This was after having taken the full course of colon prep the day before! I had no idea I was that plugged up. Everything turned out looking pretty normal, but obviously my diet needs to change.

Tonight I'm having sweet potatoes & brussels sprouts... hopefully some relief is on the way.

Thanks in advance for your comments on what has worked for you!

Best,

Pondy

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

etta694 Explorer

Now that I am gluten free things move along pretty good but when I need to - stool softener and a fibre laxative (got at Walmart). LOTS of water, salads and veggies....

and massaging my abdominal area when I go to bed also relaxes the muscles (which are always sore) and helps things move.

mamaw Community Regular

Many will say add more fiber, fruits & veggies. Prune juice& so on. While these are great for most folks - they are some who this just does not work...

I was in hospital for five days because of not being able to havea potty call! Believe me when I say they tried everything &some in multiable dosages....

From experience I have not to date found any one solution.

but here are a few things you may want to try.

miralax up to three times a day.....once you start going stop for a day or two or else you will have the BIG D!

Mineral oil...this is what hospitals give babies...works at the 3 tbsp dose for adults.

probiotics has helped some

Hot (boiling) water beforeany morning breakfast. This has helped along with the miralax.

A stool softner

I've eaten bags of fiber things, fuits galore, nuts & so on...

hth mamaw

Gfreeatx Apprentice

Nuts, lots of veggies, and taking a daily magnesium (500mg) seems to work for me. Also, I excercise quite a bit and I notice when I don't I start to have issues.

pondy Contributor

Thanks for the advice!

Gfreeatx Apprentice

I forgot to mention to check with your doctor if you are on any other meds or if you have kidney issues for the extra magnesium. My husband also had issues with constipation for years and swears by it now. :)

CarolinaKip Community Regular

Hi Everyone,

I'm suffering from chronic constipation and I'm wondering if anyone here has found any effective remedies.

Yesterday I had 10 (yes, 10) tap water enemas at the hospital prior to my colonoscopy. This was after having taken the full course of colon prep the day before! I had no idea I was that plugged up. Everything turned out looking pretty normal, but obviously my diet needs to change.

Tonight I'm having sweet potatoes & brussels sprouts... hopefully some relief is on the way.

Thanks in advance for your comments on what has worked for you!

Best,

Pondy

I drink alot of water plus add in MiraLAX twice daily per my gastro to water. I also eat two big portions of fruit that I tolerate well everyday. Plus lot's of veggies and whole foods. Prunes are good, but I cannot do them well. Yogurt with live cultures are good too. (I cannot eat at this time, hope to soon) I don't eat a lot of graines, preservatives,or gluten-free replacement foods. Too soon into my healing I feel. The more fruit, veggies, nuts you add in the better, but don't forget the water!!!!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Macbre Explorer

I know what you are going through. My main complaint when I was diagnosed was constipation. The dr. had me on Miralax, but it didn't always do the trick until 3-5 days later. I was miserable by then. My gynecologist told me about Magnesium. I now take 400mg 2x/day along with my probiotic, and I am much more regular. :)

RiceGuy Collaborator

I also would recommend magnesium, especially the oxide form. Taken with orange or other citrus juice to magnify the effectiveness, magnesium can work where bulking laxatives don't.

However, if your diet is lacking fiber, green veggies, fresh fruits, etc, then that would be the first thing to address. Green veggies contain magnesium, if for no other reason than the fact that chlorophyll (the stuff which makes most plants green) contains magnesium. This is one reason why dark leafy greens are so healthy. But if your intestines aren't working effectively at breaking down food, you may be lacking this important mineral in spite of diet.

pondy Contributor

Thank you everyone for all of your ideas!

It's going on six days now... no movement. Tomorrow I see my G.I so I will ask about the Magnesium. I'm already taking MiraLax - no results yet.

A doctor told me that the large intestines experience "shock" after a colonoscopy, and that it is not all that uncommon to have no bowel movement for a time afterward. Anyone else experience this??

Hopefully all will be back to normal soon.

Again, thanks very much for your support!

Pondy

burdee Enthusiast

It's going on six days now... no movement. Tomorrow I see my G.I so I will ask about the Magnesium. I'm already taking MiraLax - no results yet.

A doctor told me that the large intestines experience "shock" after a colonoscopy, and that it is not all that uncommon to have no bowel movement for a time afterward. Anyone else experience this??

Pondy

Ask your doc to run a full panel of thyroid tests, including TSH, free T3, free T4 and TPOab. Many celiacs develop Hashimoto's thyroiditis, esp. if they had long undiagnosed celiac disease. That last test (TPOab) is the test for Hashimoto's antibodies, which can be very high even when the other 3 tests are normal range. Chronic constipation is a common symptom of hypothyroidism. You may need to see an endocrinologist to evaluate your test scores, because many docs continue to use the outdated TSH 'normal range' and misdiagnose hypothyroid patients.

I tried all the usual 'cures' (actually treatments) for constipation, but none of them worked consistently, because they were just treatments which did not address the real cause of my constipation. I took extra magnesium and vitamin C for years. I didn't want to use laxatives, because most gave me severe cramping pain. I ate loads of fruits, vegies and fiber, while drinking lots of fluids. After my diagnoses I abstained from gluten and 6 other food allergens. Then I was diagnosed with and treated for 8 different gastrointestinal infections (5 bacteria, 2 parasites and a fungus). I also was diagnosed with hypochloridia (low stomach acid) which slowed my digestion. Taking HCl capsules for hypochloridia also helped somewhat, but like all the other 'treatments', nothing gave me regular, soft stools. (I went daily, but often had hard stools which exacerbated hemorrhoids.)

Finally a new doc requested tests for thyroid function. My TSH was high, T4 was low normal, but T3 was really low. So I started thyroid supplements. That finally resolved my chronic irregularity UNTIL I overdosed on vitamin D. (Taking too much vitamin D can caused constipation, as can certain drugs.) After a few months abstaining from vitamin D and continuing to take thyroid supplements I'm 'regular' no matter how much fiber I consume or how much fluid I drink.

mamaw Community Regular

Pondy

I hope the doc finds something to help you I know how sick this makes you feel. I know X-lax are not good to take or ducolax but maybe you could try them, I would do the full strength for adults.3 pills if you try ducolax. Instead of going back to a hospital stay I broke down & did the ducolax, I had cramps & pain but by morning I was going. But again not something to use on a regular basis.

GoodLuck

mamaw

Marilyn R Community Regular

Pondy

Pondy, I'm so sorry you're going through this!

Six days is alarming, I hope you are okay. Even though I know you've tried everything, and despite other posts, have you heated 2-4 oz prune juice, then followed it with 2 T. heated honey?

I'm worried that you could have a bowel obstruction if you've gone so long without having a bowel movement, and hope you'll seek medical treatment ASAP.

This is something really serious, I know you know that already, and I wish you the best of luck.

wannabhealthy Newbie

Pondy

Hi Pondy -- just want to let you know about a book that a friend showed me, called "Great Taste, No Pain!" by_______ Brescia. It talks about combinations of foods that don't digest well and others that do, focusing on keeping your system more alkaline than acidic. I'm trying to eat this way and am getting a bit more health in this area....and am taking digestive enzymes with meals, while taking 6 billion probiotics 2x a day and B50, with an abdominal health formula for 2 rounds to heal the villi in my intestines. I sure hope it helps me, and I hope you find your answers.

cap6 Enthusiast

I know how awful you can feel! i have terrible C issues, worse now since going gluten-free which is strange. Miralax doesn't touch it. I eat fruit, veggies, drink a gallon of water every day, take suppls and everything that has been suggested I try. The only things that moves me now (no pun intended!)is a tea called Smooth Move that is, of course, gluten-free. That and 2T of blackstrap molasses every night and 1T in the morning is helping - at least for the past 2 weeks has helped. Every time I think I have found the magic formula it seems like it works for a couple of weeks and then quite. Maybe the tea would help you???

pondy Contributor

Many thanks to everyone here for your replies!

I saw my G.I - he told me to use the MiraLax 3 times per day (just as someone here suggested ;) ).

I'm happy to say that I'm finally getting back to normal!

Don't know if it's the fruit & veggies, the tons of water, or the MiraLax, but somehow things are beginning to move...

All Best,

Pondy

JulieBob Newbie

What does wonders for me is magnesium glycinate (600 mg/day, mostly at bedtime), lots of vitamin C and lots of water. When I'm really desperate, I take Epsom salts (2 tablespoons) in a glass of hot water on an empty stomach: tastes very bitter but it works!

cahill Collaborator

I wanted to say a big THANK YOU :D to those of you that suggested the magnesium supplements

WhenDee Rookie

Hi Pondy,

I can't remember if I have mentioned this before on this forum (my husband accuses me of being a paid spokesperson!)...

I've had the big C to such an extreme that going to the bathroom 2x/month was not that unusual. I would frequently look 5-6 months pregnant. I've been hospitalized for it twice, when it got the point that I couldn't even stand up for the pain.

The only natural relief I have found is going on the "Eat to Live" diet. Not only was it the beginning of finding out I have Celiac's, but it completely, 100%, cured the C. I'm convinced 100% that this is truly how we are supposed to eat as human beings, because when I stick to it, I feel SO great. Better than I thought it was possible to feel.

I've been eating badly & got glutened TWICE last week, so I'm in misery right now. It's back to eating properly for me, because nothing else works.

Lexi Enthusiast

I take Constipation Stop by Renew Life. It's the only thing that works for me. I take two once or twice a week, and it does the trick everytime. It's kind of hard to find in stores though - you may have to order it online.

• 5 months later...
Niebr Collaborator

imstill having problems myself, ive been taking OTC polyethylene glycol 3350, Rite aid brand, its a stool softner, but also says laxative, so im worried about using it too much, so im going to try the magnesium,

pondy Contributor

imstill having problems myself, ive been taking OTC polyethylene glycol 3350, Rite aid brand, its a stool softner, but also says laxative, so im worried about using it too much, so im going to try the magnesium,

I take MiraLax twice daily - that's the non generic polyethylene glycol. Been doing this since my hospitalization two months ago - so far it has worked. I also drink at least 4 liters of water each day & try to avoid processed foods.

carolannf Newbie

I went to see a natropath and she put my on HMF Probiotics to get the flora back in my system and it seems to be working, not holding my breath because my system seems to go in cycles and I could possibly be in a "good" place. But it did get things moving.

• 3 months later...
Aliciajoe Newbie

Isn't the norm 1-2 days? or is it different for a Celiac? I am also still learning about celiac disease... I also have always had C problems.

Seacelt Newbie

I went to my naturopath after I was having problems, and she put me on two probiotics I take at night to aid with digestion.. and I find if I accidentally ingest gluten and I take a couple at night it works out of my system faster and with less pain!! It's the best thing I've found and I had problems for years! I haven't had any problems now for ages and you could time me! LOL Just a thought!

Archived