This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Weight Gain On gluten-free Diet

Almendra

Judy3 Contributor

I just posted about this very topic on another post. I have gained about 10 lbs in the last 7 months since I went gluten free. I lost a lot of weight before diagnosis so my doctor said he expected me to gain weight... I DID NOT!! LOL but the snacks that are gluten free are so hard to put down when you really want something else. I think from my experience it's about my body craving nutrients that it can't get completely yet so I'm always hungry but I'm also feeding it with the wrong things "BECAUSE I CAN"... so that will stop immediately. I'm making treats what they are meant to be... treats on occassion! I also haven't been able to exercise as much because my Diabetes got so much better that I'm off all medication but I think some body part didn't get the memo because now I have Low Blood Sugar when I exercise and that makes for a very dizzy, fainting woman... I'm seeing a dietician next week to see if there is a diet plan I can follow to incorporate all of these issues.. I know it has to be gluten free for the Celiac and carb controlled for the Diabetes but not sure what to eat before exercise so that it doesn't drop so low. I've tried the protein/carb/fat ratio so that my body uses things better but that doesn't see to work for me. Like I said I think my pancreas didn't get the memo and is still producing Insulin at levels that are not acceptable. Oh to walk around the block without having to take glucose tablets 15 min into the walk.. sigh

but I drone on... :P

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

txplowgirl Enthusiast

I have been overweight all my life and never could lose it no matter what I did. When I found out about the gluten I tried eating a lot of the gluten free foods and I reacted bad. So went on a whole foods diet. In 2 years I went from 205 down to 165. I hover between 165 and 170 now. Even eating whole foods I can't seem to get any lower. I guess my intestines have healed to the point that I need to quit eating as much.

• 2 weeks later...
GlutenGladi8or Apprentice

Here's an analogy to a past trend and how it relates to the current diagnosis that we all have experienced. And, I may be dating myself.

Do you remember when Entemann's came out with the first fat free cookie in the late 80's/early 90's? We all thought, well heck.... if it's fat free I can eat the WHOLE thing. And eat we/they did. But the pounds kept packing on. Why? Well, the item may be fat free but loaded with sugar, carbs, and calories.

As many of our friends/family have found out about our diagnosis, the first thing they want to do is push comfort food our way (gluten-free: cookies, cakes, pies, candy, fudge, the list goes on and on). Bless them for thinking of us, but not the right thing to eat. They, too, are loaded with sugar/carbs/calories.

Thankfully I put on a lot of weight after my diagnosis. (I know you are wondering why). It has been LEAN muscle and not fat. I took advantage of my body FINALLY absorbing nutrients (especially protein) and I increased all of my perishable item NOT packaged foods:

Perishables like....

- Non fat yogurt

- Fresh Fruit

- Fresh Berries

- Fresh Vegetables

- Egg Whites

- Brown Rice

- Low Fat/Non fat cottage cheese

- Low fat chicken sausages

- Tons of seafood

- Lean pork tenderloin

- Lean beef

- Lean turkey burgers

- Chicken breasts

If you follow my shopping cart on a routine visit through a store or club (Costco/Sam's), I rarely shop the center of the store where all of the packaged gluten free items are. I hit produce, frozen produce, meat, dairy, seafood, and hit the cashier.

Finally, tell your friends that you cherish the fact that they want to shower you with tons of gluten free cookies/cakes/chips/junk food... but the best thing they can do is share a lean meal that's based upon perishables.

It works. Get the temptations out of your house, even if they are gluten free.

sandsurfgirl Collaborator

Most celiacs are underweight. That's the classic "type" for a celiac, so yes of course they gain weight! They need to! Their bodies are absorbing nutrients finally and they are able to keep weight on. They should've reported whether it was unhealthy weight gain or necessary healthy weight gain.

I had the opposite, the celiac where I was gaining weight no matter what I did and I became overweight due to celiac. Which meant it took longer for me to get diagnosed because the GI insisted that there was no way an overweight person could have celiac disease. 7 years later I was diagnosed.

I lost about 20 pounds over the past 1 1/2 years gluten free. It has been very slow weight loss and I want to speed it up a bit. Our bodies normalize when gluten free.

I think if people are becoming overweight after being diagnosed they are probably binge eating or feeling entitled to junk foods because they are deprived and things like that.

sb2178 Enthusiast

Most celiacs are underweight. That's the classic "type" for a celiac, so yes of course they gain weight! They need to! Their bodies are absorbing nutrients finally and they are able to keep weight on. They should've reported whether it was unhealthy weight gain or necessary healthy weight gain.

I think if people are becoming overweight after being diagnosed they are probably binge eating or feeling entitled to junk foods because they are deprived and things like that.

I concur. I needed 5-10 lbs put back on my bones. And now it's here. Now, must portion out the chocolate more carefully and not feel deprived!

Also, re cleanse: not such an awesome idea. Some of them are really badly designed, and can put you at significant risk of skewing your electrolytes, leading potential heart issues, kidney problems, etc. If you want to eat lightly, or switch to whole foods, go for it. Beware of bottles or pills or suggestions that you avoid broad categories of foods (right, besides gluten).

foods=ingredients. not things out of boxes.

GlutenGladi8or Apprentice

Most celiacs are underweight. That's the classic "type" for a celiac, so yes of course they gain weight! They need to! Their bodies are absorbing nutrients finally and they are able to keep weight on.

Amen!

High fives!

Right on!

Hallelujah!

Here-Here!

I'm glad those no absorption are behind me.

The only downside is that I have to buy a bunch of new shirt that will fit my shoulders and arms.

Archived