This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

No/low Sex Drive~Depression

jemms

jemms Apprentice

I have just recently found out I am gluten intolerant and most likely have celiacs (no endo done yet). I have been a raging lunatic IMO for awhile. I get angry over the smallest things and lack patience with my everyone. I feel horrible because I am treating my loved ones like junk. I also have a very, very low sex drive...which is a problem of course in my marriage. Am I crazy or could these things be attributed to the gluten and dairy (intolerant too) which I was consuming? Has anyone else felt this way? Thanks so much for reading!!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ndw3363 Contributor

I may not have the best answers because I am relatively new to this myself (gluten-free 5 weeks), but I had noticed my depression was getting pretty bad. I still have moments (some are tied to mourning the things I can't eat anymore, some are just hormones), but I have been slowly feeling better. The sex drive still comes and goes, but it's steadily getting better as well. I think it's because when I do feel like it now, I can actually enjoy it more. I felt numb for awhile and just didn't feel like "going through the motions" anymore. But wonderful BF has been great and things are getting better. The less I think about my new "condition", the better I feel. I find that when I'm obsessed with it or if friends/family are asking a lot of questions, I get REALLY irritated and shut down. But when I pretend it's not an issue, I feel better. Luckily, I've always been the cook in the house so I can just cook meals that are fine for me and it becomes a non-issue. I really hope you start feeling better soon. FYI, none of my symptoms were intestinal - all of my sypmtoms were neurological. I'm still a bit foggy, but I think I have a dairy problem too. Going dairy free this week to experiment.

butterfl8 Rookie

Are you scheduled for an endo yet? Do you feel that it is necessary to be diagnosed? (Consider future Doctors, sometimes they don't believe you have Celiac unless you have been diagnosed by a Dr.) Reason I ask is because you must stay on gluten to get a diagnosis from an endo. However, you will feel better, (Though not immediately) from about all of your symptoms that you describe after beginning a gluten free diet. It may take up to SIX MONTHS to feel all better, or even longer. So if you have an endo scheduled in a month, keep going on the gluten. Long term, it may be better for the "Official Diagnosis," but only you can make that decision. I will tell you that my depression is gone after being gluten free--and it's amazing. My sex drive is coming back, after a year and a half, but there were other circumstances involved. The depression went away very quickly- - for me. There is hope, I promise. I never thought I would be free of depression. I thought I would be on and off of antidepressents for the rest of my life. My depression would make me irritable, snappy, tired, and a pain in the . . . to be around. But I'm so much better now, it's amazing. Best of luck to you.

-Daisy

irish daveyboy Community Regular

I have just recently found out I am gluten intolerant and most likely have celiacs (no endo done yet). I have been a raging lunatic IMO for awhile. I get angry over the smallest things and lack patience with my everyone. I feel horrible because I am treating my loved ones like junk. I also have a very, very low sex drive...which is a problem of course in my marriage. Am I crazy or could these things be attributed to the gluten and dairy (intolerant too) which I was consuming? Has anyone else felt this way? Thanks so much for reading!!

Here's a Video to watch on Celiac Disease and low Libido.

Best Regards,

David

jemms Apprentice

thank you ALL so very much!! you have given me hope that I can be a happy person again. Sometimes I feel like a shell of my former self. In my 20s I didnt feel nearly as bad as I do now. I just got scheduled for an endo on May 18th so I am back on the gluten diet until then. also, irishdaveyboy...thanks so much for the video. put a lot into perspective.

I look forward to the day when I will have a sex drive again and more smiles on my faces. It is so wonderful to have this forum. Thank you again. :D

• 10 months later...
kaygato Explorer

thank you ALL so very much!! you have given me hope that I can be a happy person again. Sometimes I feel like a shell of my former self. In my 20s I didnt feel nearly as bad as I do now. I just got scheduled for an endo on May 18th so I am back on the gluten diet until then. also, irishdaveyboy...thanks so much for the video. put a lot into perspective.

I look forward to the day when I will have a sex drive again and more smiles on my faces. It is so wonderful to have this forum. Thank you again. :D

Hey I realize this was posted a while ago, but are you still around jemms? I also have a low libido and recently eliminated gluten and dairy, and am curious if it improved for you. Also has your mood improved? I also have problems in that area.

bartfull Rising Star

I still get really grumpy, but then again I have been struggling with an elimination diet without much success. But my sex drive started to improve within weeks after going gluten free. Surprised the heck out of me too - I thought I was just one of those post-menopausal women who completely lost all interest. Who knew?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• 1 year later...
wonderingman Newbie

I posted this topic in another forum but noone provided any substance telling me I had to go to another doctor? I was doing fine until I went gluten free, and yes the libido went away, actually its still away. Doctors are cluless. So here goes...

I have cut gluten dairy and processed sugar. I feel great, like a new person. I have gone gluten free for 3 months. I have been to an endocrinologist and labs are normal. For ex: thyroid and cortical are just fine.

My libido is gone! It comes back in waves or very brief periods for like 1 or 2 weeks and then does a complete vanishing act?! I’m otherwise healthy and workout a lot too at age 35. No meds no nothing presently.

I take vitamins, minerals,B-12 especially, zinc, vit e as well. Yes to L-glutamine, yes to probiotics. I do my own cooking, spending some 3 hours in the kitchen ea. weekend. So who has experienced this symptom? When will libido return? I have sought the advice of 1 dr. and 20 nutrionists whom all chalk it up to withdrawal/detox?

Please provide me more details?

dilettantesteph Collaborator

I am another with the libido and irritability issues.  It seems like the smallest of contamination will mess with my libido, or maybe it is just my husband LOL.

To be more clear, the issues went away for me with a good clean diet.

Archived