This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

Grain Free Meat Necessary?

ilikepie

ilikepie Apprentice

I have been wondering if eating animals and animal products (eggs) that are sickly (fed grains and who knows what else) is making me ill. I have done everything else I can think of. I eat only organic, whole foods...but not necessarily when it comes to meat and eggs. Has anyone noticed a difference when they only eat the healthy animals? I know that these animals who are ingesting poor diets are super sickly...but the healthy meat is so much more expensive/not always as readily available that I've never tried solely the good stuff. The other problem is that I eat SO much meat....the cost would really put our grocery bill over the top (we already spend at least 1/3 our income on food). BUT if it means I'm healthy, it would be worth it.

Thoughts? Experience? Maybe this is the reason I am still becoming intolerant to so many foods.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

mushroom Proficient

I notice the difference with beef. I can eat only organic grass-fed beef. Any beef that has been fed corn (and/or antibiotics and hormones??) will keep me up all night. So we buy organic for me and regular for hubs who doesn't mind which it is :P to keep the cost down. I bought some "organic" ground beef from Whole Foods once, and took the package back the next day and demanded a refund because I was up all night, and I knew it was not organic as represented, that is how strong the reaction is.

srall Contributor

I'm not on a grain free diet, but my daughter and I have huge problems with corn. I noticed right away that I had difficulties with grain fed, hormone filled meat and eggs. It's very expensive but I only do cage free, hormone free, antibiotic free eggs and meat. I feel better and I'm hoping that keeping these hormones out of my almost 8 year old's diet with hold off puberty for awhile. I have friends with 8 year olds going through puberty now. But I digress. Sorry. Yes. I keep the meat and eggs pure and feel better for it.

ilikepie Apprentice

I'm hesitant to bring this subject up with my fiance as I am not the bread-winner, and already the sole reason our food bill is so ridiculous....plus I am afraid that if I try it out, I will feel better and then it will be yet another permanent expense, and in a way, another "restriction."

Do you notice any difference with types of seafood? Are there different types I should be aware of? Farmed vs. wild? I can't eat some salmon and scallops that are pre-packaged. Maybe they add something for the color or preservation? Though it doesn't say anything like that on the packaging. When I get it fresh from the fish counter I can tolerate it.

Evangeline Explorer

I know several people who are corn intolerant and they cannot eat the eggs from hens fed corn. So yes it matters.

Evangeline Explorer

Here is a link to grain-free meat:

Open Original Shared Link

T.H. Community Regular

Do you notice any difference with types of seafood? Are there different types I should be aware of? Farmed vs. wild? I can't eat some salmon and scallops that are pre-packaged. Maybe they add something for the color or preservation? Though it doesn't say anything like that on the packaging. When I get it fresh from the fish counter I can tolerate it.

Oh definitely some differences.

- farmed fish has some of the highest antibiotic residue of any meat animals sold. So, that could be an issue.

- some wild caught fish has higher mercury levels than others.

- Some fish has dye added - I believe dye is commonly added to salmon, for example.

- they have an article that was just put on the celiac.com site about meat glue that was...well, just ick. But it applied to fish as well as other meat, and if you didn't see the whole fish fillet with skin on it, this article could apply.

- some fish can be contaminated with gluten at the company where it is being processed. A lot of seafood companies make products with soy sauce marinades, so there can be a lot of gluten in the facility. Maybe you can call up the companies you've reacted to and see if that might apply there?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

RideAllWays Enthusiast

I had never thought about this, but have been eating a vegan diet for a few months now and have not had a "gluten" incident since... Now that could be because I don't eat out ever, and everything is made by me in my gluten-free kitchen...but I'm definitely not having anything grain-fed, and have cut out most processed foods. Feels great.

Archived