This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Translation Needed

etta694

etta694 Explorer

The following article talks about the difference between gluten sensitivity and Celiac but could someone please break it down a little? I think I get it but I want to make sure.

https://www.celiac.com/articles/22491/1/Study-Shows-Gluten-Sensitivity-and-Celiac-Disease-Clinically-Different/Page1.html

Just a quick break down of the last part...please?

(Does it mean that, with Celiac, the immune response is more along the lines of a response to, say, German Measles which is a 'permanent' response and continues - as opposed to gluten sensitivity which would be more of a temporary response that could, after time, subside?)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

cassP Contributor

The following article talks about the difference between gluten sensitivity and Celiac but could someone please break it down a little? I think I get it but I want to make sure.

https://www.celiac.com/articles/22491/1/Study-Shows-Gluten-Sensitivity-and-Celiac-Disease-Clinically-Different/Page1.html

Just a quick break down of the last part...please?

(Does it mean that, with Celiac, the immune response is more along the lines of a response to, say, German Measles which is a 'permanent' response and continues - as opposed to gluten sensitivity which would be more of a temporary response that could, after time, reside?)

well that was very interesting! and a little complicated i agree. i didnt read about a temporary vs. permanent like u did- all i could understand was that one with Celiac would have more of a leaky gut- where has one with Gluten intolerance could have all the symptoms and inflammation- but no break in the gut barrier. and also there was a difference in the mucosal lining. that's all i could translate. very interesting. i wonder too if Zonulin (sp?) is something more associated with celiacs- and not present in gluten intolerants. isnt that a hormone or something that increases intestinal permeability??

this is so fascinating

etta694 Explorer

'Zonulin is a protein that participates in tight junctions between cells of the wall of the digestive tract.'

Looked it up for this...I'm going back to read again.

I would like someone to give a monologue on this that I could understand.. ;) . Not being a researcher or biology major... I am not sure about the big picture.

psawyer Proficient

I don't see anything there that would make me believe that gluten intolerance, whether celiac disease or not, would go away with time.

psawyer Proficient

Research into the role that zonulin may play in the celiac disease response is ongoing. It appears that there may be possible way to prevent the autoimmune reaction. It will not change the underlying condition, but may treat the symptoms to the extent that the worries we have about being hurt by small amounts of gluten are no longer a concern. This is a controversial topic that has been discussed in several topics here.

Jestgar Rising Star
The study also supports the characterization of gluten sensitivity as a condition associated with prevalent gluten-induced activation of innate, rather than adaptive, immune responses in the absence of detectable changes in mucosal barrier function.

The innate immune system is the one that always responds the same. Not like a measles thing.

Takala Enthusiast

LOL at the one poster in that comment thread. "You're not a, and quit calling yourself that, but I am.... " paraphrased.

It probably never occurs to her that increasing the consumption pool of customers for gluten free foods, increases her potential for choice in selecting grocery and restaurant items to consume. From an anthropology standpoint, this may increase her chances of survival but does not seem to influence her attitude ....

_________

The study also supports the characterization of gluten sensitivity as a condition associated with prevalent gluten-induced activation of innate, rather than adaptive, immune responses in the absence of detectable changes in mucosal barrier function

wiki: innate immune system

defends host from infections, provide immediate defense, found in all classes of plant and animal life, evolutionary thought to be older form of basic defense system

Open Original Shared Link

wiki: adaptive immune system

"The adaptive immune response provides the vertebrate immune system with the ability to recognize and remember specific pathogens (to generate immunity), and to mount stronger attacks each time the pathogen is encountered. It is adaptive immunity because the body's immune system prepares itself for future challenges."

Open Original Shared Link

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

etta694 Explorer

So actually, the innate response is a mute point when talking about Celiac because the body is ALWAYS going to respond for this condition (adaptive). The question of an innate response abating is for a gluten intolerant person and dependent on whether they are eating to heal their intolerance which would probably be due to leaky gut. By GOVE! I think I've GOT it!

It was that last part I was fuzzy on. (or am I still fuzzy.. :blink: Hope not...)

I know this has been chewed and spit out many times here and I am very appreciative of the longtime members who answer the same questions.. over and over.. and over.. and uber....

(It does bear fruit though...)

Archived