This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

How Do You Keep Your Blood Sugar Up?

Pyro

Pyro Enthusiast

Carb intake is my major enemy in having a quality life. Trying to get in a proper amount while keeping symptom free has been a massive headache for years and it's finally getting better but I'm still kind of clueless how to maintain some kind of stability.

When I start doing whatever it is (running out of glucose? glucose getting trapped in the blood stream?) I start getting really tired, irritable, sore & fairly immobile, and very depressed. Then if I eat and can digest the right carb everything clears up almost immediately and I'm a completely normal vibrant young man again. It's a Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde kind of thing and I KNOW for a fact it's the blood sugar or something really close.

The big problem is that it doesn't always work and sometimes it will just make me sick. Luckily, scarfing down 5 Kind Bars yesterday did the trick. But they don't always work and I find it frustrating to have my carbs come from something like a bunch of health food bars or a big bottle of tea saturated with honey while other people just do the obvious thing and have a good carb with every meal.

I've tried a LOT of different things and will give a list hoping that someone sees a pattern:

All grains are out. Brown rice & oats were making me sicker than a dog and literally forming bricks in my stomach. Normal rice is pretty much the same but I might try it out in very small amounts again. To me anyway, it's a joke when people call brown rice a health food.

Yams, sweet potatoes, pumpkin, and squash (except zucchini) usually dry me out, make me sweat, stink, and make me feel bloated. Normal potatoes are no good for me.

Bananas are sometimes fine but sometimes make me constipated and kill my joints. Apples are sort of the same but they usually make me extremely hot and too hyper.

Strawberries burn my stomach too much, but blueberries & blackberries are sometimes okay if they don't make me too bloated. Dates & figs are also pretty unpredictable, and are more likely than the other fruits to cause what I think is a candida flare up. Lara Bars (mostly dates) almost always flare me up.

All beans make me impossibly tired and constipated for a long time.

Honey sometimes does pretty good, sometimes dries me out, but is just a strange ingredient to live on.

Taking digestive enzymes & a regular probiotic with any of these doesn't seem to have much effect.

It all seems to boil down to how much energy is devoted to my digestive system or maybe my gut flora needs more balance. I'll regularly eat peas and carrots but these don't seem to be enough to fuel any kind of hard labor. There was a period where I worked my way up, and my energy was stable for like three weeks (seemed like heaven) but I just can't seem to find out what I did which is really frustrating. I've been so desperate to get back to a normal balance (of course we all are) and that's get very important now with the start of my career.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

alex11602 Collaborator

If it is in fact your blood sugar, it sounds like it may be and you should check it when you feel like that to be sure, the best thing is to keep your sugar levels stable. Having a protein source with your meals will help with that or if you aren't big on a real breakfast having a small bag of peanuts (if you can have them) should help. For me in particular that one bag would give my sugar the stability that it needed as long with eating a balanced meal for dinner. If you any questions, just ask. Good luck to you.

K8ling Enthusiast

Holy cow, I am so sorry I have nothing to offer you. Protein is a big thing, I am living on PB now when my sugar gets weird. Apples and grapes are good for me too. I also need to buy stock in string cheese LOL

I hope you start to figure stuff out!!

Gemini Experienced

Carb intake is my major enemy in having a quality life. Trying to get in a proper amount while keeping symptom free has been a massive headache for years and it's finally getting better but I'm still kind of clueless how to maintain some kind of stability.

When I start doing whatever it is (running out of glucose? glucose getting trapped in the blood stream?) I start getting really tired, irritable, sore & fairly immobile, and very depressed. Then if I eat and can digest the right carb everything clears up almost immediately and I'm a completely normal vibrant young man again. It's a Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde kind of thing and I KNOW for a fact it's the blood sugar or something really close.

The big problem is that it doesn't always work and sometimes it will just make me sick. Luckily, scarfing down 5 Kind Bars yesterday did the trick. But they don't always work and I find it frustrating to have my carbs come from something like a bunch of health food bars or a big bottle of tea saturated with honey while other people just do the obvious thing and have a good carb with every meal.

I've tried a LOT of different things and will give a list hoping that someone sees a pattern:

All grains are out. Brown rice & oats were making me sicker than a dog and literally forming bricks in my stomach. Normal rice is pretty much the same but I might try it out in very small amounts again. To me anyway, it's a joke when people call brown rice a health food.

Yams, sweet potatoes, pumpkin, and squash (except zucchini) usually dry me out, make me sweat, stink, and make me feel bloated. Normal potatoes are no good for me.

Bananas are sometimes fine but sometimes make me constipated and kill my joints. Apples are sort of the same but they usually make me extremely hot and too hyper.

Strawberries burn my stomach too much, but blueberries & blackberries are sometimes okay if they don't make me too bloated. Dates & figs are also pretty unpredictable, and are more likely than the other fruits to cause what I think is a candida flare up. Lara Bars (mostly dates) almost always flare me up.

All beans make me impossibly tired and constipated for a long time.

Honey sometimes does pretty good, sometimes dries me out, but is just a strange ingredient to live on.

Taking digestive enzymes & a regular probiotic with any of these doesn't seem to have much effect.

It all seems to boil down to how much energy is devoted to my digestive system or maybe my gut flora needs more balance. I'll regularly eat peas and carrots but these don't seem to be enough to fuel any kind of hard labor. There was a period where I worked my way up, and my energy was stable for like three weeks (seemed like heaven) but I just can't seem to find out what I did which is really frustrating. I've been so desperate to get back to a normal balance (of course we all are) and that's get very important now with the start of my career.

The best way to keep blood sugar stable and happy is a protein source, like the others have mentioned. Carbs will just make blood sugar unstable, if you have a pre-existing problem. From the reactions you have described, I would recommend you be screened for diabetes....really. Blood sugar should be stable without too much effort and if it isn't, there's a problem. For now, can you stick to fish, chicken or lean meats and veggies that work for you? Throw in whatever other carbs that do agree with you and see what happens?

It sounds like you may have multiple food allergies/intolerances so you may need to have some testing done to figure out what you can eat successfully.

I'm sorry I can't be of more help and I hope you get back on track again soon but please consider diabetes screening and allergy testing...they may help figure out what is going on. All of the foods you are having problems with contain sugar...some of it's a healthier source of sugar but it's sugar all the same. Diabetics sometimes have trouble with these foods or have to eat them in moderation. Good luck and hope you feel better soon!

Pyro Enthusiast

Thanks for the pointers, but I already eat a ton of protein. Lots and lots. Up to like 1lb to 2lbs a day of lean meat, and maybe a protein shake on top of that. Nuts, sometimes, but again too many will make me sick. My metabolism is very high, but my digestion can't keep up. So the amount of nuts I can normally have before everything starts going south is usually not enough.

alex11602 Collaborator

Thanks for the pointers, but I already eat a ton of protein. Lots and lots. Up to like 1lb to 2lbs a day of lean meat, and maybe a protein shake on top of that. Nuts, sometimes, but again too many will make me sick. My metabolism is very high, but my digestion can't keep up. So the amount of nuts I can normally have before everything starts going south is usually not enough.

Along with the protein are you getting enough fiber???

Pyro Enthusiast

I try but don't particularly pay attention to how much. Most meals are a big bowl full of veggies with a chunk of meat on top, and only protein drinks are eaten without a vegetable to go with it. I know I could do better but it's hard with your usual market fare. Chinese markets have a lot more variety but they are too far to go to regularly. Even frozen veggies (which I usually subsist on) seem like the same 6 things in 50 different combinations with gluten or cheese thrown in many of them just for kicks.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

BaldurBen Newbie

I wonder if organic blue agave might help you. It's a low glycemic organic sweetener and looks like syrup. I have a bottle from Wholesome Sweeteners both at home and at the office. I use it in my coffee every day and we've used it in lieu of sugar in baking and cooking. It treats me far better than regular sugar does, which kicks my blood sugar into the stratosphere immediately and then makes it free-fall after a while. This blue agave stuff elevates the blood sugar level gently and maintains it far longer. We get two bottles at a time from CostCo.

Gemini Experienced

WOW! If you are eating that much protein and still having blood sugar issues, there is something else going on. You may want to include a thyroid panel, along with diabetes testing. I wouldn't put this off because you may have a serious underlying condition. God knows, Celiacs have their share of thyroid and diabetes problems. I am not trying to be all gloom and doom but most Celiacs have other autoimmune problems and you may also. I hope you get to the bottom of this soon!

cassP Contributor

i second Gemini big time!

you're eating a lot of protein- you should feel pretty stable. i only get that shaky hypoglycemic feeling if ive only had carbs all day. i exactly have to have protein &/or fat with every meal.

you do need to get things checked with your doctor- to see if there's any other conditions- like Gemini said- autoimmune diseases like to come in clumps. my first thought with your post was Hyperthyroid... sounds like you eat a lot but are always hungry & weak, maybe shaky, maybe dizzy??? please get your thyroid checked.

maybe also look at Diabetes 1 too?

as far as all the food lists you posted- you probably have additional food intolerances. i think you should look at the FODmap diet- i, myself have problems with many of the foods on that list- and i believe brown rice is sometimes on that list because it has more fructose?? white basmati rice is much more suitable for me

good luck and please get checked by your doc

Pyro Enthusiast

sounds like you eat a lot but are always hungry & weak, maybe shaky, maybe dizzy??? please get your thyroid checked.

Yep! For sure, and it can get to the point where it's flat out embarrassing. I'll definitely get something set up with my doctor soon.

As for the agave, I'll consider trying it again but vaguely remembering something being wrong with both it and tequila.

EDIT: I looked up diabetes type 1 symptoms and on that particular website I had like 98% of them. I've sort of suspected this before but am the type that tries to treat things myself and keep it at a holistic/grassroots sort of thing. But obviously now would be the time to just get some help. Especially since my feet are getting blue more often & nothing really has helped yet! What I've really been afraid of are the medications and what they'll do, but now I see that things can be taken one step at a time and at least getting tested will help. But I'll be damned if they zap my thyroid!!

Gemini Experienced

sounds like you eat a lot but are always hungry & weak, maybe shaky, maybe dizzy??? please get your thyroid checked.

Yep! For sure, and it can get to the point where it's flat out embarrassing. I'll definitely get something set up with my doctor soon.

As for the agave, I'll consider trying it again but vaguely remembering something being wrong with both it and tequila.

EDIT: I looked up diabetes type 1 symptoms and on that particular website I had like 98% of them. I've sort of suspected this before but am the type that tries to treat things myself and keep it at a holistic/grassroots sort of thing. But obviously now would be the time to just get some help. Especially since my feet are getting blue more often & nothing really has helped yet! What I've really been afraid of are the medications and what they'll do, but now I see that things can be taken one step at a time and at least getting tested will help. But I'll be damned if they zap my thyroid!!

I agree with your approach on doing things yourself and sticking with more natural solutions but sometimes you have to go to the AMA people, as I refer to them. I dread it myself as they use nuclear solutions to problems and that can be freaky. I know some people have had success with dietary changes for hyper-thyroid but the diet is so incredibly restrictive, I know I would have my thyroid nuked before doing that. :blink: Relax, if you can, and have some basic testing done on your blood sugar and thyroid. These are just blood tests so you can start out slow. But have them done because you could be headed for a meltdown.

I passed out once from a sugar reaction and I am not diabetic. It was not long before the meltdown occurred with Celiac and my blood sugar was unstable from being malnourished. It ain't pretty and was very scary and left me weak as a newborn kitten. All is well now that I am gluten-free and have my thyroid under control. Please keep us informed and stay positive....you'll figure it out with some testing.

cassP Contributor

I I know some people have had success with dietary changes for hyper-thyroid but the diet is so incredibly restrictive, I know I would have my thyroid nuked before doing that.

what do u mean "so incredibly restrictive" that you'd rather be nuked?? so far, ive only read up to avoid wheat & soy... and of course caffeine- that's hardly as restrictive as my Celiac, Fructose Malabsorption, & other intolerances including Legumes & Corn

Gemini Experienced

what do u mean "so incredibly restrictive" that you'd rather be nuked?? so far, ive only read up to avoid wheat & soy... and of course caffeine- that's hardly as restrictive as my Celiac, Fructose Malabsorption, & other intolerances including Legumes & Corn

No wheat, dairy, soy, caffeine, alcohol, any goitro-genic veggies, and I know I am missing some but would have to talk to the person who did this. She is in the dental field and admitted that the diet was horrible to follow. The no red wine would be the deal breaker for me.

I think some people get overly anxious about certain medical treatments and some, while not on my list of favorite things to do, would not be ruled out if I had dietary restrictions like the above. I know a number of people who had their hyper thyroid treated using radioactive means and it was successful and they have no lasting ill effects. It went quite smoothly, as a matter of fact. I manage all my restrictions well but wish to have no more. Sometimes the more natural means of treatment do not work so you have to use conventional medicine. You can always restrict yourself right out of the ballpark, if you choose, but I personally would not do that. I am thin enough without making it vastly harder to keep the weight on. Using radioactive treatment to counter hyper thyroid is far more welcome than suffering from hyper thyroid itself...been there, done that, no thanks! :blink:

domesticactivist Collaborator

I used to pass out from low blood sugar all the time and have spent most of my life on a blood sugar roller coaster. I also had many Diabetes Type 1 symptoms, but every time I asked the dr they said I was fine. I've also been tested for thyroid stuff and MS repeatedly, but always came back barely in the normal range.

Especially when I was a teenager and when I was pregnant, I had to eat protein snacks every hour or two to keep things at all normalized.

Now that I have been on the GAPS Diet and eliminated all grains (along with most sugar), I no longer have these problems. I can go for hours between meals without blood sugar spikes and dips. My favorite thing is I no longer get up to pee all night long!

You might look into it (in addition to getting tested for thyroid and diabetes issues) and give it a try.

cassP Contributor

No wheat, dairy, soy, caffeine, alcohol, any goitro-genic veggies, and I know I am missing some but would have to talk to the person who did this. She is in the dental field and admitted that the diet was horrible to follow. The no red wine would be the deal breaker for me.

I think some people get overly anxious about certain medical treatments and some, while not on my list of favorite things to do, would not be ruled out if I had dietary restrictions like the above. I know a number of people who had their hyper thyroid treated using radioactive means and it was successful and they have no lasting ill effects. It went quite smoothly, as a matter of fact. I manage all my restrictions well but wish to have no more. Sometimes the more natural means of treatment do not work so you have to use conventional medicine. You can always restrict yourself right out of the ballpark, if you choose, but I personally would not do that. I am thin enough without making it vastly harder to keep the weight on. Using radioactive treatment to counter hyper thyroid is far more welcome than suffering from hyper thyroid itself...been there, done that, no thanks! :blink:

oh i still think it's not as restrictive as what many of us do on here anyways-

i still drink alcohol but only occasionally- i just know that my body cant handle as much as others- which is fine, im not a big drinker anyways- i always had a sensitive stomach/liver. i would always end up puking if i drank like other people- so ive been used to drinking lightly for years.

ive been avoiding the cabbage, cauliflower, and brussel sprouts for years- i just started avoiding the broccoli- but then that Mary Shomon (thyroid advocate) just posted a crapload of more veggies to avoid including spinach- and im like FORGET IT- i already have to avoid so much as it is for my intestines- if i give up spinach- then i may only be left with 2 or 3 veggies- and thats not enough to stay "regular".

but then she said in the article that if you cook them- it mostly renders them harmless- GREAT i thought- cause i miss my broccoli- BUT i seriously love my green drinks & smoothies- with spinach and kale...

so, im not sure what im gonna do about that-??

im hashi dominant anyways- so i really hope the grave's die off before the hashi- cause i completely agree with u- i would never want to suffer full blown HYPERTHYROID- i had a couple of flare ups when i was on Synthroid only and it SUCKED big time! way worse than HYPO.. except the S.O.B. i get with the Hypo is debhilitating :(

Gemini Experienced

oh i still think it's not as restrictive as what many of us do on here anyways-

i still drink alcohol but only occasionally- i just know that my body cant handle as much as others- which is fine, im not a big drinker anyways- i always had a sensitive stomach/liver. i would always end up puking if i drank like other people- so ive been used to drinking lightly for years.

ive been avoiding the cabbage, cauliflower, and brussel sprouts for years- i just started avoiding the broccoli- but then that Mary Shomon (thyroid advocate) just posted a crapload of more veggies to avoid including spinach- and im like FORGET IT- i already have to avoid so much as it is for my intestines- if i give up spinach- then i may only be left with 2 or 3 veggies- and thats not enough to stay "regular".

but then she said in the article that if you cook them- it mostly renders them harmless- GREAT i thought- cause i miss my broccoli- BUT i seriously love my green drinks & smoothies- with spinach and kale...

so, im not sure what im gonna do about that-??

im hashi dominant anyways- so i really hope the grave's die off before the hashi- cause i completely agree with u- i would never want to suffer full blown HYPERTHYROID- i had a couple of flare ups when i was on Synthroid only and it SUCKED big time! way worse than HYPO.. except the S.O.B. i get with the Hypo is debhilitating :(

I really think the diet required for supposedly treating hyper-thyroid is far more restrictive than what most do here on a regular basis. Most Celiacs are gluten-free, df and some need to be soy free but those seem to be the Big Three, from all the celiacs I have met. I also think sugar was included on the list of foods I couldn't remember and I have done that twice in my life to combat candida issues...it really is hard to give up sugar totally and forever. I am not a big sugar eater but I do indulge a bit and enjoy every minute of it. Ditto for the red wine.....it makes living with dietary restrictions all the more easier. ;)

I am not a fan of anyone who advocates giving up veggies, unless you have a true allergy to any one of them. The ones that are supposed to be bad for the thyroid are the major ones which help protect against colon cancer. They are some of the most nutrient packed veggies out there so I have my doubts with regards to them being bad for thyroid. I may be wrong but I love veggies and will not give them up.

Have you had trouble keeping your thyroid in the normal range? I have from time to time but, in trying to find a root cause for the occasional tumble into hypo-land, I have noticed mine occurs in the spring.....during the start of allergy season. I am starting to think that when my immune system ramps up to fight the allergens, it affects my thyroid also. My doctor thinks it may be the problem. I asked her about the food connection and her thoughts are that overdoing anything is not good for the body and soy need not be avoided completely...unless it produces flaming symptoms and the effect is obvious. I seem to be able to eat foods thought to be bad for thyroid and 90% of the time, I am fine with them. Spring is always my worst season.

FooGirlsMom Rookie

I second the others who are encouraging you to try to gain more information through testing & seeing the doctor. I'm all for alternative/natural medicine & food solutions. I use them for myself and family. The beauty of going for the testing is that if you can find out what is actually out of balance or wrong, then you'll have the information you need to possibly find an exact solution - possibly a more natural one than the medical community might normally offer. Information doesn't mean you have to do things someone elses way. It will give you options though. You would have choices, potentially, you don't currently have. Right now it's like flying blind. It's hard to make any choices at all without the right information.

I hope you can find out what's causing the problems & then find the solution that will work.

Hang in there,

FooGirlsMom

cassP Contributor

I really think the diet required for supposedly treating hyper-thyroid is far more restrictive than what most do here on a regular basis. Most Celiacs are gluten-free, df and some need to be soy free but those seem to be the Big Three, from all the celiacs I have met. I also think sugar was included on the list of foods I couldn't remember and I have done that twice in my life to combat candida issues...it really is hard to give up sugar totally and forever. I am not a big sugar eater but I do indulge a bit and enjoy every minute of it. Ditto for the red wine.....it makes living with dietary restrictions all the more easier. ;)

I am not a fan of anyone who advocates giving up veggies, unless you have a true allergy to any one of them. The ones that are supposed to be bad for the thyroid are the major ones which help protect against colon cancer. They are some of the most nutrient packed veggies out there so I have my doubts with regards to them being bad for thyroid. I may be wrong but I love veggies and will not give them up.

Have you had trouble keeping your thyroid in the normal range? I have from time to time but, in trying to find a root cause for the occasional tumble into hypo-land, I have noticed mine occurs in the spring.....during the start of allergy season. I am starting to think that when my immune system ramps up to fight the allergens, it affects my thyroid also. My doctor thinks it may be the problem. I asked her about the food connection and her thoughts are that overdoing anything is not good for the body and soy need not be avoided completely...unless it produces flaming symptoms and the effect is obvious. I seem to be able to eat foods thought to be bad for thyroid and 90% of the time, I am fine with them. Spring is always my worst season.

hilarious- i just replied i think on another thread relating to your season! summer is my arch nemesis.

and personally- my diet is already more restrictive than the thyroid diet... im:

gluten-free, SHOULD be dairy free, trying to be soy free, avoid legumes, most beans, corn, & low fructose/fructans, low carb mostly.

Pyro Enthusiast

-

Pyro Enthusiast

All right, well I'm still waiting on the doctor's appointment which is the Monday after next. Until then I'm trying to learn as much as I can about the GAPS diet and figure how I can incorporate it. So far I've picked up Sunja's Kimchi yesterday to at least start working in the fermented foods. Might be a coincidence but already I had quite a good morning!! Every morning I feel like a dehydrated skeleton and am usually incredibly woozy until breakfast, but this one was at least 60% better. (TMI) Also I have been going to the bathroom a bunch and they seem far more normal than they've been for weeks. Much easier and much more comfortable than scarfing down 2400mg (Yup! Worked my way up a pill at a time) of Magnesium pills that either will do nothing or a real piss poor job.

On the downside it is making me a little dizzy to empty so much but the slight discomfort is a HUGE relief from the cramped stomach, corrupted posture, & headaches that come with being blocked up. I just hope it tones down tonight because my work is going to be very long and intense.

Oh I forgot! The Sunja's kimchi doesn't have a lot of excess water and I wonder if it would make sense to dump some spring water (tap kills it, right? Or other way around?) to make it nice and soupy again. You see, my ADHD has been flaring up like crazy for the past month as well and I've been pretty scatter brained and even talking with all these doggone run on sentences like this. I'll address that with the doctor, but am hoping GAPS will give me a hand too.

See I even screwed up that last update too by deleting the whole thing & gave up trying to remember it all.

• 2 weeks later...
Pyro Enthusiast

I had my appointment but he doesn't feel that I needed a blood test and upcoming work won't let me have one until next Wednesday anyway (can always call to order it then). Since then I've done a lot of research, a whole lot of thinking, read the GAPS book, implemented some GAPS intro, read a lot of the 180degree health blog, thought about salicylic acid, thought about fructose, got pissed with so much conflicting info, then just tried my best to add everything up.

I'm starting to think that I just flat out need carbs. Being very active for most of the week anyway, and a male, I payed attention who was tauting what. Was it a normal mom? Neurotic bodybuilder? New Age hippie? Whatever the case, I was looking on the GAPS Yahoo group for criticism to make sure I had enough information on it and someone pointed out that of course the intro is going to make you feel like crap because of the lack of carbs/energy. She linked to the 180 degree health thing and he talks all about low carb/gluten free/fructose/etc... and how this low carbing might make you feel great at first with the increase in adrenaline but how overall it leads to a low metabolism resulting in the symptoms most of us have.

Which I'm very very familiar with. My super healthy no grain, no this & that diet sometimes works but overall I've been hitting a wall and experiencing all kinds of bad symptoms. Including the main ones right now which are continued bloating, a kind of puffiness, feel stupid (hard to think!!), incredible weakness, and my weight STILL keeps dropping no matter how much schmaltzy soup I keep eating. GAPS has some truths behind it, but I'm not sure continuing to suffer like this is going to help.

The next step was trying to find a low fructose carb source that also doesn't have much added sugar. All I can come up with right now are potatoes. I'll probably pick some up later and see about working them into my diet. I do know a bit of carbs here and there were doing me wonders that last time I reached stasis. It's just been a big ***** ever since finding something that doesn't incapacitate me. Though the choices I had been trying to work in for the last year did contain some sugar or fructose so I'm really hoping that this new idea will work.

hsmomof6 Rookie

I know you said you eat plenty of lean protein, but are you including good sources of dietary fat? Fat helps our blood sugar stay stable for longer. Each meal should have a balance of the right portions of protein, carb, and fat to bring your blood sugar up and have it stay stable until your next meal. Also, if you are having blood sugar issues after meals, there is the possibility that you could have reactive hypoglycemia. My daughter has this and I've had a few episodes since I lost weight with the Celiac's.

Pyro Enthusiast

Yeah I've been having a lot of fat. Especially with the bone broths. Though I hope my diet can balance out, and soon I can drag down both the meat and fat to make room for carbs. I'm remaining unattached to both GAPS and 180degreehealth but a blend of the two seems promising. The latter says that reactive hypoglycemia comes specifically from either avoiding carbohydrates or having refined grain/sugar. According to him, continuing to add healthy starch like a potato despite any set backs will help re-establish your metabolism which will go on to stabilize the hypo/hyperglycemia.

Archived