This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Synthroid?

kaitlyn77

kaitlyn77 Rookie

I have been taking Synthroid and I called the company and they said they can not confirm the gluten free status. What is your opinion? Does anyone know of a good gluten free alternative?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

mamaw Community Regular

My insurance took me off Synthyroid& put me on the generic version.For 2 1/2 months I've had swollen mouth , lips & glands. Plus a lot more problems. I just got back on synthyroid & now I can't take it because of reactions. Horrible reactions.

I don't know what is considered gluten-free because mainstream docs will only give synthyroid or another name brand that is synthetic. I haven't found a doc in my area who will give whole glanduar, which is what the body needs. No kick back for them when they give whole glanular. Many are having issues with synthyroid these days-- not just celiac people...

I joined a group "the thyroid group" at Yahoo.com. I've learned so much from this group. It is very active. I'm ready to treat myself with whole glanduar... I'm thyroidless do to RAI three years ago.

I wish you luck..blessings

mamaw

burdee Enthusiast

When I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism, my doc suggested Synthroid. However, I 'googled' Synthroid's inert ingredients and found it contained the following: "(Inactive Ingredients) acacia, confectioner's sugar (contains corn starch), lactose monohydrate, magnesium stearate, povidone, and talc."

Many celiacs do not tolerate lactose ingredients. I have a diagnosed allergy to casein and don't tolerate any dairy products. Another popular T4 supplement (can't remember the name now) contained one of my other allergens. So I suggested 'Levoxyl', a T4 supplement which contains: "microcrystalline cellulose, croscarmellose sodium and magnesium stearate". Some of the doses contain food coloring, but I take the 50 mcg dose, which contains no food coloring.

If you're worried about reacting to inert ingredients from T4 thyroid supplements, Levoxyl may be your best choice, as it was for me.

Roda Rising Star

I take generic levothyroxine also. The brand I take is Mylan. I take 112 mcg of it in addition to 10 mcg of generic liothyronine which is manufactured by Mylan also.

Tigercat17 Enthusiast

I have been taking Synthroid and I called the company and they said they can not confirm the gluten free status. What is your opinion? Does anyone know of a good gluten free alternative?

I was having a lot of problems from synthriod last year and I do think they were gluten related.

I changed to Levoxyl made from the Pfizer company. I just called them again today to confrim that they are gltuen free. The rep. said yes!

Here's the link:

Open Original Shared Link

cassP Contributor

i called the company who makes synthroid months ago, when i was still on it. the official reply they gave me was that NONE of the ingredients were gluten BUT they could not guarantee 100% that the raw ingredients they get to make it were not cross contaminated.

i did NOT react well at all to being on Synthroid alone. but once they added Cytomel, i was fine. im assuming now, that i did not feel well because of the Grave's. i DID had some STRANGE burning episodes with my forearms while on synthetics. about 3 or 4 to be exact. i DO have some DH bumps- but these episodes only burned and my skin got red and dry like leather. very very STRANGE. im assuming a very strange synthetic/iodine/grave's side effect.

im now on Armour and have not had any burning rashes.

i always took brand name synthroid. i took GENERIC Cytomel the second go around- and it was AWFUL. both the generic and brand name Armour were fine.

one of my clients is a medical researcher- and he explained that GENERIC drugs can work anywhere from 80-120% of what the Brand name does- that's a HUGE discrepancy. so, you might find a generic that works better- or you might be suffering with one that's barely 80% working. just make sure you call the companies about the gluten.

if you're feeling bad from the Synthroid- there are MANY reasons for that besides a possible cc. MOST female patients need a T3/T4 combo. i also think it's a good idea to get ALL your antibodies tested- so you have a good picture of what's goin on in your thyroid.

good luck!

oh, but ya- if you're having stomach issues- like Sue said above- the sugar & lactose could be bothering you.

DesertDogs Rookie

Just adding my experience. I take Synthroid. 75 mcg per day. I'm VERY sensitive to gluten, but not to lactose. The Synthroid gives me no problems that I've noticed. I would tend to think it's a lactose thing rather than a gluten thing.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived