This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Help My Poor Flower Beds!

Darn210

Darn210 Enthusiast

Somebody Help Me!!! I'm being over run by thistle and it's not even May!!!! Every year I have this battle. I spray (Round Up Weed Killer) and I pull . . . and I spray and I pull . . . I've asked advice at nurseries and the recommendations have been to spray (Round Up). . . or to pull. Everytime I pull, I swear two come back. Whenever I spray, sometimes they don't even wilt, sometimes they eventually look like they're gonna die, then they recover or one pops up right next to it. I think I'm losing ground. Anybody out there got something that works???

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kareng Grand Master

Somebody Help Me!!! I'm being over run by thistle and it's not even May!!!! Every year I have this battle. I spray (Round Up Weed Killer) and I pull . . . and I spray and I pull . . . I've asked advice at nurseries and the recommendations have been to spray (Round Up). . . or to pull. Everytime I pull, I swear two come back. Whenever I spray, sometimes they don't even wilt, sometimes they eventually look like they're gonna die, then they recover or one pops up right next to it. I think I'm losing ground. Anybody out there got something that works???

Nuclear war fare! Those things are tough!

Or you could embrace the natural flora and pretend your growing them on purpose.

Seriously- I'll ask around & see if I hear anything. Mostly I've heard digging them out to get the evil roots.

kareng Grand Master

Found this on Wikipedia: might be an issue if you have other plants next to it.

[edit]Weed removal

As a weed, thistles are sometimes thought to be difficult to remove, as they will grow back if cut. However, covering the cut stem with plain table salt will kill the root.[citation needed]

My hub let these grow in his " experimental" flower bed. some of the birds loved them in the fall. This is a section he buys 6 different things he thinks look interesting & sees if any come up next year. Guess what? The thistles did but I yanked them.

sa1937 Community Regular

Do thistle have a taproot? Perhaps you're not getting all of it. With the way it's been raining almostly daily here in PA, everything is growing like a weed. Another possibility is to buy the concentrated Round Up and mix it with a smaller amount of water in a spray bottle to make an extra strong spray and then spray each plant???

Or you might check with your county extension office to see what they might recommend.

Marilyn R Community Regular

Garden web is is pretty good resourse. It used to be a great resource, but they've gone very commercial, so you have to be patient. :blink:

Darn210 Enthusiast

My hub let these grow in his " experimental" flower bed.

:o

What???

On Purpose???

I shall box my thistle up and send it to your hubby? :lol:

I'm not worried about running out as they will grow back within weeks days!!

Darn210 Enthusiast

Do thistle have a taproot? Perhaps you're not getting all of it.

No way am I getting the whole root as it runs all the way to China. <_<

I'll check into the county extension and Garden Web. I have tried the stronger mix and it didn't seem to help me on the thistle (It did on one of my other hard to kill things).

I tried a product once that seem to do fair not too bad not horrible but I've tried so many products, I can't remember which one it was.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

sa1937 Community Regular

No way am I getting the whole root as it runs all the way to China. dry.gif

Or cut them off and inject them with the Round Up concentrate...isn't it a systemic?

Jestgar Rising Star

Can you eat them? Open Original Shared Link

It's my approach to the nettles....

psawyer Proficient

Janet, the problem is simple. You lack the Scottish heritage that I have. Otherwise you would respect and welcome your thistles.

From Wikipedia:

In the language of flowers, the thistle (like the burr) is an ancient Celtic symbol of nobility of character as well as of birth, for the wounding or provocation of a thistle yields punishment.

The thistle has been the national emblem of Scotland since the reign of Alexander III (12491286) and was used on silver coins issued by James III in 1470. It is the symbol of the Order of the Thistle, a high chivalric order of Scotland. It is found in many Scottish symbols and as the name of several Scottish football clubs. The thistle, crowned with the Scottish crown, is the symbol of seven of the eight Scottish Police Forces (the exception being the Northern Constabulary). The thistle is also the emblem of Encyclopædia Britannica, which originated in Edinburgh, Scotland. Carnegie Mellon University features the thistle in its crest.

B)

Wenmin Enthusiast

Can you eat them? Open Original Shared Link

It's my approach to the nettles....

Not quite sure if there are different varities, but here in South Louisiana we do eat these. Remove prickly outer skin and peel back "bark" (sort of like a celery stalk, you must "shave" the outer casing). Wash. Cut into small rings (sort of like onion rings) add salt, pepper and vinegar. One of our favorite sprintime treats.....Awesome gluten free salad.....

Darn210 Enthusiast

Janet, the problem is simple. You lack the Scottish heritage that I have. Otherwise you would respect and welcome your thistles.

From Wikipedia:

In the language of flowers, the thistle (like the burr) is an ancient Celtic symbol of nobility of character as well as of birth, for the wounding or provocation of a thistle yields punishment.

B)

yeah . . . OK . . . my theory on this is that the Scottish couldn't figure out how to get rid of them either!!! :P

Darn210 Enthusiast

Not quite sure if there are different varities, but here in South Louisiana we do eat these. Remove prickly outer skin and peel back "bark" (sort of like a celery stalk, you must "shave" the outer casing). Wash. Cut into small rings (sort of like onion rings) add salt, pepper and vinegar. One of our favorite sprintime treats.....Awesome gluten free salad.....

I can guarantee that I would be the only one in the house to even try it . . . unless . . . they're not bacon flavored are they? More power to ya', Wenmin!!! Jess, If you would like to try it, I'd be more than happy to ship you some, although I don't think I have the milk thistle variety.

There are different varieties from what I've been reading and I'm not sure which one(s) I've got. The Canada thistle is suppose to be a tough one to get rid of . . . tenacious with deep roots and all . . . Peter!!! come get yer thistle out of my yard!!!

etta694 Explorer

Sometimes cement will get rid of them... :ph34r:at least for as long as it takes them to crack it and get through again....... :huh:

love2travel Mentor

As a Master Gardener I garden organically BUT in your situation one thing you can do is dip a sponge into Roundup and dab it on the thistle, carefully avoiding surrounding lawn or whatever. But as you know, that can take even longer than gluten-free shopping! :lol: Man, I detest those things! If even a teeny bit of the root is nicked more roots appear. So, when digging them, you must get the entire thing, all the way to China. ;) Some use at least 10% acetic acid but the re-growth rate is fairly high. It can help a bit, though. Have you tried those dandelion diggers you insert into the soil and twist? They can really work but the soil needs to be a bit moist plus it can be back breaking work if you have lots.

But as mentioned several times already, they are tasty eating! Try them instead of arugula as a bed for perfectly-cooked steak or make an oil in your blender to drizzle on things. Also good with carpaccio. But I know you just want to get rid of them (and I don't blame you - except the Scottish thistles that are so very pretty, especially in front of an atmospheric Scottish castle with drizzling rain and a lone piper playing...)

mushroom Proficient

If all else fails, pretend it is a crop :P Water, fertilize and harvest it :lol:

From Wikipedia:

Cotton Thistle is grown as an Open Original Shared Link for its bold foliage and large flowers.Open Original Shared Link It has been used to treat cancers and ulcers and to diminish discharges of mucous membranes. The Open Original Shared Link was eaten in earlier times like an artichoke. The cottony hairs on the stem have been occasionally collected to stuff pillows. Oil from the seeds has been used for burning and cooking.Open Original Shared LinkOpen Original Shared Link

Very useful plant. Of course it did note that it is very invasive!! :rolleyes:

Of course the definition of a weed is a plant that is growing in the wrong place. Can you make this the right place??

kareng Grand Master

Just looked out the stairway window at Hub's "experimental garden" This is where he plants one of everything that strikes his fancy at the garden store. He lets whatever wants to grow, that we didn't specifically plant, grow.

Guess what is growing? Thistle!

Darn210 Enthusiast

Some use at least 10% acetic acid but the re-growth rate is fairly high.

That's the twice-as-strong-as-you-can-buy-in-the-grocery-store vinegar, right? My web research resulted in recommendations of extra strong vinegar, pouring boiling water down the root hole after pulling, and putting plastic or carpet fragments or some such thing and smoothering them (with some mulch on the top so your neighbors don't report you to your homeowner's assoc.)

- except the Scottish thistles that are so very pretty, especially in front of an atmospheric Scottish castle with drizzling rain and a lone piper playing...)

OK . . . so what you're saying is . . . tear down my house, build myself a castle, then the thistle will pretty much be required landscaping? . . . ummmmm . . . :huh: . . . OK!!!! . . . :lol:

Just looked out the stairway window at Hub's "experimental garden" This is where he plants one of everything that strikes his fancy at the garden store. He lets whatever wants to grow, that we didn't specifically plant, grow.

Guess what is growing? Thistle!

Dang!!!! I think I live down-wind from you guys . . . keep yer thistle seeds in yer own state, thank you veddy much!!!

My landscaper swears he can get something (that I can't get) that works pretty good. We'll see.

MaryJones2 Enthusiast

when all else fails put down landscaping fabric and choke it!

Archived